Insufficient memory for safe-mode!

PseudoGod

Feb 24, 2006, 4:10:17 PM2/24/06
I have Windows installed on a 2nd partition and on its first boot is
says <BR><BR>Insufficient memory to initialize Windows.

Quit one or more memory-resident programs or remove unnecessary
utilities from your CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT files, and restart your
computer.

With the advice of the various WIN95 message boards I went to the <A
HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q184447/>MaxFileCache</A> page on
Microsoft.com and added that to my VCache section of my system.ini
file.

I also added MaxPhysPage=30000 to my [386Enh] section of System.ini
because
I have 1 gig of RAM (also at the advice of these newsgroups).

Now I get this message when booting in normal mode:

Device IOS failed to initialize. Windows Protection Error. You must
reboot your computer.

I again went back to the message boards, and found that the problem was
my processor was too fast (3 gigaHertz).

I was pointed towards
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=192841 - Difficulties Using AMD K6-2
or Athlon Central Processing Unit
windows help site and downloaded a patch to install in safemode to
correct the problem

But now my problem is that I can't load safe-mode to install the patch.
It gives me the "Insufficient memory to initialize Windows" message
when I try.
I found out that this is probably because safemode win95 doesn't
load the 386Enh section of my System.ini so the workaround for the
1 Gig of RAM doesn't load in safemode.

What do I do?

The advice of I've gotten is from the following messages:

Not enough memory to start Win95
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.ms-windows.win95.misc/browse_thread/thread/19d16be50e72ad93/a1bba05f6fa12de6?lnk=st&q=windows+95+installation+%22not+enough+memory%22&rnum=17&hl=en#a1bba05f6fa12de6

Not enough memory
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion/browse_thread/thread/7a34174399fcfe57/70707a03baddc2a5?lnk=st&q=windows+95+memory+1+gig+ram+%22not+enough+memory%22&rnum=11&hl=en#70707a03baddc2a5

And the following was the best shot I had
windows says not enough memory to load
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.win98.apps/browse_thread/thread/cc861c247e46b6fb/8900d77ee7dcb78d?lnk=st&q=windows+95+installation+%22not+enough+memory%22&rnum=14&hl=en#8900d77ee7dcb78d

This is my first post, I'm sorry the links aren't active, I thought the
post could be in HTML format but that didn't seem to work in preview.

dont thinkso

Oct 24, 2007, 7:22:14 PM10/24/07
I know this is a year late, but I just saw the message and figured I
would reply in case anybody else that is messing around with win95 on
a newer computer runs into the problem.

You can't run win95 on cpu's faster than 2ghz, even with the K6-2
update.

You can't run with more than 1gig ram, even with the maxfilecache fix.
Some systems also max out at 512mb when using win95... seems to have
something to do with the motherboard, I dunno.

My only stupid question, is why even attempt to run win95 on a system
that new? its a total waste of the hardware. I still use win95 on a
few of my older computers and spent a ton of time tracking down all
the files and patches to make it as updated as possible.. why? just
nostalgia with my old comps. lol