XP display fails to turn off after appointed time

Ron Hardin

Sep 6, 2015, 9:06:55 AM9/6/15
On a few of our Dell laptops, the display fails to turn off or
stay off even when there's no activity, which over time ages
the flourescent tubes and they finally fail. So you'd like
the monitor off.

What might cause this? Machines eventually pick up the
problem, but don't have it new, when they pick it up.

Explicitly turning the display off

#include <windows.h>
main() {
sleep(1);
SendMessage(HWND_BROADCAST, WM_SYSCOMMAND,
SC_MONITORPOWER, (LPARAM) 2);
exit(0);
}

turns the display off but it turns back on after some 1-10
minute duration.

Something thinks there's activity. I don't know what XP
measures to tell there's activity, so it's hard to diagnose.
--
rhha...@mindspring.com