me hangs upo on startup because of displayadapter or?

juhana

Feb 21, 2003, 4:19:17 PM2/21/03
Now is this a operating system error, or hardware error, or both!
My Windows Me won't start. Or should I say it starts, if its starting to
safe mode OR otherwise in VGA mode with 16 colors. So I have figured the
problem to have something to do with the vga adapter. Now as I have several
older VGA adapters, I have tested this with guillemon Xentor TNT2, S3 Trio64
and TsengLabs s6000 cards. The symptom is same with every card. Windows boot
hangs up with very rapid harddisk behaviour... and then nothing. HD led
shuts down nothing moves. And this always, when I'm booting to normal mode
AND I have something else as resolution than 640 x 480 (VGA).
Sometimes the system also hangs as early as in BIOS boot. That idicates that
something is wrong in motherboard or power supply. Nothing wrong was found
on motherboard or memory using Amidiag diagnostic software and Norton
diskdoctor claims, that HD is in good shape.

Any ideas? Do I have a broken powerunit? Or do the WinMe has general error
in it? I have installed ME as "over the old one" installation, 'cos I'm not
sure do I want to "deltree Windows" and make a clean install, if theres a
way around it, or maybe it is the power?

Any Ideas?

Whoops

Feb 23, 2003, 7:40:46 PM2/23/03
First : Make sure you're vga card is properly fit in the slot you're using
for it. I experienced the same problem with someone who just recently moved
his computer. After a file, just for luck, i pressed on the card an noticed
is went deeper just about a millimeter, it did the trick....!!!
Secondly : Choose the wrong vga driver by selecting the standard vga driver
in windows. Remove the correct drivers in safe mode (al this in safe mode).
After rebooting, select the right driver and insert the cd. I experienced
this problem with different Dell Optiplex computers with a Intel 820
chipset/vga and even with some equiped with an ati vga card.

"juhana" <joku.j...@sunpoint.net> schreef in bericht