Microsoft .NET Framework update problem

Yousuf Khan

Aug 25, 2003, 7:43:44 PM8/25/03
Having a couple wierd little problems with upgrading the .NET Framework.

(1) Whenever I go to the Microsoft update site, I am told to upgrade to .NET
Framework Service Pack 2, and that it's a critical update. I download it and
install it, and then the machine reboots. I go back to the update site
again, and that same service pack is presented again. I look in the
Installation history, and it shows that it's been installed -- successfully!

(2) I go to same update site, and in the list of Recommended upgrades is
.NET Framework 1.1. Why is it presenting both Framework 1.1 and 2 at the
same time?

OS is Windows 2000 Professional.

Yousuf Khan

Luci Sandor

Aug 26, 2003, 4:26:28 AM8/26/03

"Yousuf Khan" <bbbl6...@yahoo.com.nospam> wrote in message

> Having a couple wierd little problems with upgrading the .NET Framework.
>
> (1) Whenever I go to the Microsoft update site, I am told to upgrade to
.NET
> Framework Service Pack 2, and that it's a critical update. I download it
and
> install it, and then the machine reboots. I go back to the update site
> again, and that same service pack is presented again. I look in the
> Installation history, and it shows that it's been installed --
successfully!

As I remember, the SP2 for the framework 1.0 was never installed from
windows update (I had the same problem, though My add/remove programs didn't
show it).
To learn if the service pack was installed, read
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318785&sd=msdn
and follow the specific instruction.
If you had it installed it is probably a Windows Update error.
If you don't have it installed and you want to install the SP, you can
download it from
http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/downloads/updates/sp/download.aspx
and use the file that you can get from this page to install. You can check
if it was installed as shown before.

> (2) I go to same update site, and in the list of Recommended upgrades is
> .NET Framework 1.1. Why is it presenting both Framework 1.1 and 2 at the
> same time?

Yes, there is no problem, multiple .NET frameworks can be installed on the
same computer (exactly like multiple Java JRE/JVM)
Every application specifies the version it needs.

Yousuf Khan

Aug 26, 2003, 1:16:51 PM8/26/03
"Luci Sandor" <lucis...@msn.com> wrote in message

> As I remember, the SP2 for the framework 1.0 was never installed from
> windows update (I had the same problem, though My add/remove programs
didn't
> show it).
> To learn if the service pack was installed, read
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318785&sd=msdn
> and follow the specific instruction.

Okay, this shows that I have both .NET framework 1.0 and 1.1 installed on my
system.

> If you had it installed it is probably a Windows Update error.
> If you don't have it installed and you want to install the SP, you can
> download it from
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/downloads/updates/sp/download.aspx
> and use the file that you can get from this page to install. You can check
> if it was installed as shown before.

Okay, I already had this sitting on my hard disk, and when I ran it, it
asked
for the path to a file called "netfx.msi". I searched the
local disks for it, and it didn't exist. So I did a search on Google for
that file, and found the following instructions:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpguide/html/cpcondeployingnetframeworkusingsystemsmanagementserver.asp

or equivalently,

http://tinyurl.com/l8ba

So according to the above link, I need to extract netfx.msi from a file
called "dotnetfx.exe". So I searched the HD for that file too, and that
didn't
exist either.

So further Googling got me to this download site:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=D7158DEE-A83F-4E21-B05A-009D06457787&displaylang=en

or equivalently,

http://tinyurl.com/6j6r

And downloaded the "dotnetredist.exe", which created the
"dotnetfx.exe", which created the "netfx.msi".

Isn't it lucky that Windows is so user-friendly and easy to administer, not
like that Linux stuff? ;-)

Anyways, the stupid message is finally gone now.

> > (2) I go to same update site, and in the list of Recommended upgrades is
> > .NET Framework 1.1. Why is it presenting both Framework 1.1 and 2 at the
> > same time?
> >
> Yes, there is no problem, multiple .NET frameworks can be installed on the
> same computer (exactly like multiple Java JRE/JVM)
> Every application specifies the version it needs.

Okay, I understand your point. So is SP2 really a service pack for version
1.0 of the framework, and version 1.1 is a totally separate install?

Yousuf Khan

Luci Sandor

Aug 27, 2003, 5:10:23 AM8/27/03
Hello!

> Okay, I understand your point. So is SP2 really a service pack for version
> 1.0 of the framework, and version 1.1 is a totally separate install?

Indeed, there are only 2 versions of .NET and the service packs do not
change the 1.0 from being 1.0.
That issue is quite strange, I believe the packaging modes for the
downloaded file from Windows Update and for the downloadable file from the
place I recommended you are slightly different in order that the wizard
interface of the last one is not displayed when you get it from Windows
Update.
In order to get more help on installations of Microsoft Installer packages,
you need to log the installations. You can do it by hand, using a switch
when calling msiexec or you can activate MSI logging for all installations,
as I do, using X-teq (google for that).
I hope this would help.