Mouse Stops working using keyboard / video / mouse switch box

Mark Hobley

Feb 13, 2004, 2:23:50 PM2/13/04
I have a manual keyboard, video and mouse switch.

Sometimes, when I throw the switch to another PC, and then later
switch back again, my mouse will not work on a Windows PC.

I can reboot the computer and the mouse will work again.

This problem occurs on Windows 95, Windows 98 and Windows XP.

Is there a way of resetting the mouse, a fix, or is there some free
software that I can run to enable me to use the mouse again without
rebooting ?

Also, during startup, some windows PCs stop with a dialogue box saying
"Windows cannot detect a mouse". The computer then waits for an OK
button to be clicked.

Is there any way to disable this dialogue box ?

Mark F.

Feb 14, 2004, 8:38:15 AM2/14/04

"Mark Hobley" <markh...@hotpop.deletethisbit.com> wrote in message

I know that Win95-98 lag when detecting hardware while WinXP
automatically finds and installs drivers for any new hardware (e.g.,
mouse, USB device). What port are you using (IR, COM, USB, PS2)?

The switch could be badly worn, you may have bad cables, mouse device
may be failing, a connection on the mainboard could be loose.

"Is there any way to disable this dialogue box ?"

Not on Win95 or Win98.

I don't understand why you would use a switch for a mouse in the first
place! These devices are relatively inexpensive so having one for each
machine makes more sense.

IMHO (c:

Jerry Greenberg

Feb 16, 2004, 7:11:20 PM2/16/04
Windows is loosing synce to the device. This is normal for many
systems using Windows. Try setting them up on the system to not be
plug and play. You will have to manualy set them up in the computer's
hardware section of the operating system. This should normaly resolve
this issue.

Jerry G.
http://www.zoom-one.com

TehGhodTrole

Feb 16, 2004, 7:32:15 PM2/16/04
Jerry Greenberg wrote:
> Windows is loosing synce to the device. This is normal for many
> systems using Windows.

bluh bluh

--
TehGhodTrole: Trolling, for God's sake.
Your Free Insult: Jesus loves you.

Mark Hobley

Feb 20, 2004, 6:23:06 PM2/20/04
On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 13:38:15 GMT, "Mark F." <m7...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I know that Win95-98 lag when detecting hardware while WinXP
>automatically finds and installs drivers for any new hardware (e.g.,
>mouse, USB device). What port are you using (IR, COM, USB, PS2)?

Its a PS2 mouse

>The switch could be badly worn, you may have bad cables, mouse device
>may be failing, a connection on the mainboard could be loose.

This has been a problem on different machines using a different switch
box.

>I don't understand why you would use a switch for a mouse in the first
>place! These devices are relatively inexpensive so having one for each
>machine makes more sense.

Its much nicer to have just one monitor, keyboard and mouse.

I am left handed but my computers are on the right hand side of the
room.

I have 5 computers stacked on top of each other and on shelves.

My computer room is bursting at the seams.

At one time, I did have separate mouse on the computer on the top
shelf.

The mouse would run on a shelf about 2 feet above the monitor, and I
would have to stand on the desk to move the mouse, and lean across to
see what was happening.

This machine was for video capture, and VNC would not work due to way
the graphics hardware worked on that machine.

What made it really annoying was the fact that the computer would
crash every couple of hours, so I was forever climbing on the desk to
reset it.

Arnt Schepke

Mar 3, 2004, 5:28:48 AM3/3/04
> I have a manual keyboard, video and mouse switch.
>
> Sometimes, when I throw the switch to another PC, and then later
> switch back again, my mouse will not work on a Windows PC.
>
> I can reboot the computer and the mouse will work again.

Shure it works again. A cheap switch is just a switch. It's the same
(for the computer) as pulling out the mouse and connect it back again.
That doesn't work, only on Win2000 I saw a mouse working after this.

If you use a quite expensive (electronic) switch (>100$), it has a
mouse emulation for the computer while the mouse is working on other
machines. This is working here at about 5 places.

Regards

Mark Hobley

Mar 3, 2004, 11:17:41 AM3/3/04
On 3 Mar 2004 02:28:48 -0800, sch...@gmx.de (Arnt Schepke) wrote:

>markh...@hotpop.deletethisbit.com (Mark Hobley) wrote in message news:<402d2442...@news.blueyonder.co.uk>...
>> I have a manual keyboard, video and mouse switch.

>If you use a quite expensive (electronic) switch (>100$)

Mine is quite expensive, because it is an 8 way switch.

It is however mechanical, and does not provide mouse emulation.

I would prefer not to change the switch.

I want a software fix.

Leo

Mar 4, 2004, 3:03:16 PM3/4/04
markh...@hotpop.deletethisbit.com (Mark Hobley) wrote in message news:<404604a6....@news.blueyonder.co.uk>...

I'm sure there is some way to fix this with software, however I
believe the source of the problem is the 'manual' switch. I had a
manual switch and experienced the same problem (although windows
handled the switch fine, my RHL 9.0 box would lose the mouse
everytime) I have switched to a hot swap KVM switch (after reading
the fine print I found that PC's must be shutdown when switching )and
I now have no problems. You should change the switch for one that is
electronic and solve the problem at the root instead of with software.