Resize of NTFS partition (Win-XP)

Florencio Pazos

Oct 1, 2003, 5:58:52 AM10/1/03

Hello everybody,

I want to install Linux on a computer which came with Win-XP
pre-installed. But I can not resize the NTFS partition in order to prepare
space for linux.

All the progrmas I've tried say that they can not reduce
the NTFS partition because it is "blocked". I have tried PartitionMagic
(7.0 & 8.0) for Windows and "ntfsresize" & "QT_PArt"(?) for linux. All of
them give the same message.

Windows "chqdsk" itself says that the partition is blocked by some
proccess and it can not correct errors.

How can I "un-lock" it or know which program is actually blocking it? Some
people told me that the hibernation system could be blocking the partition
in order to avoid re-sizing and make sure to have enough space for
hibernating.

The last solution would be to remove XP, install Linux, and re-install XP
later. But I want to try other solutions before since I was able to
re-size an XP partition and install linux on a similar computer some
months ago.

Any help is wellcome!

Thanks very much in advance.

Regards,

Florencio

PD. Please, CC any answer to my email address (pa...@gredos.cnb.uam.es)

James Knott

Oct 1, 2003, 6:50:44 AM10/1/03
Florencio Pazos wrote:

> The last solution would be to remove XP, install Linux, and re-install XP
> later.

Well, two out of three ain't bad. ;-)

I don't know what's causing your problem, as I used Partition Magic to
resize the XP partition on my notebook.

--

Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

james.knott.

Dave Kristol

Oct 2, 2003, 8:58:20 AM10/2/03
Florencio Pazos wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I want to install Linux on a computer which came with Win-XP
> pre-installed. But I can not resize the NTFS partition in order to prepare
> space for linux.
>
> All the progrmas I've tried say that they can not reduce
> the NTFS partition because it is "blocked". I have tried PartitionMagic
> (7.0 & 8.0) for Windows and "ntfsresize" & "QT_PArt"(?) for linux. All of
> them give the same message.

Did you try to run Partition Magic while running Windows? That won't
work. You need to boot from the PM (v.8) CD. I did this on a new
laptop, which had WinXP installed, and it worked fine.

Dave Kristol

mjt

Oct 2, 2003, 12:17:02 PM10/2/03
Dave Kristol wrote:

> Did you try to run Partition Magic while running Windows? That won't
> work. You need to boot from the PM (v.8) CD.

... you *CAN* execute the PM resizing functionality, but when
it's time to "apply changes", PM will require a reboot, then
it'll apply the changes during real-time bootup
.
\\\ http://pages.sbcglobal.net/mtobler/mjt_linux_page.html ///
If the aborigine drafted an IQ test, all of Western civilization
would presumably flunk it. - Stanley Garn

Walter Mautner

Oct 4, 2003, 10:13:54 AM10/4/03
[pm'd also upon request]

Florencio Pazos wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I want to install Linux on a computer which came with Win-XP
> pre-installed. But I can not resize the NTFS partition in order to
> prepare space for linux.
>
> All the progrmas I've tried say that they can not reduce
> the NTFS partition because it is "blocked". I have tried PartitionMagic
> (7.0 & 8.0) for Windows and "ntfsresize" & "QT_PArt"(?) for linux. All
> of them give the same message.

Make a backup of your important data.
In XP, first chose workplace - properties - system restore, and turn that
one off for all drives. Same do to "hibernation support" (you might find
it in control panel - energy). Reboot into safe mode (F8 and select) and
let XP defrag its partition. This will take some time, maybe overnight.
Afterwards, your chances to strip the XP partition are at least better
:).

> PD. Please, CC any answer to my email address (pa...@gredos.cnb.uam.es)

Yeah, done - but it's not common practice. Usually - in particular with
crossposting - you should also spend the time and continue the
thread/discussion/success stories/problems in the newsgroup, to help
others.
to remove offending incompatible products. Reactivate your MS software
(3 days grace period).