windows 3.11 to windows 95

news.bright.net

Jan 3, 2006, 2:39:13 AM1/3/06
Hi

I am attempting to fresh install Windows 95 into a old Packard bell system.

My problems I don't have the old 3.11 disks for the compliance check. I
remember there was a way to trick 98 into believing you had the 311 set up
disks. It involved creating a new file in notepad, I believe it was possibly
win_cn or something like that. Does any one recollect what that file name
was for sure?

Thanks in advance

Unknown

Jan 3, 2006, 7:31:38 AM1/3/06
On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 02:39:13 -0500, "news.bright.net"
<ri...@bright.net> wrote:

>,;Hi
>,;
>,;I am attempting to fresh install Windows 95 into a old Packard bell system.
>,;
>,;My problems I don't have the old 3.11 disks for the compliance check. I
>,;remember there was a way to trick 98 into believing you had the 311 set up
>,;disks. It involved creating a new file in notepad, I believe it was possibly
>,;win_cn or something like that. Does any one recollect what that file name
>,;was for sure?

The advantages of being a packrat with a great deal of storage space.
The following are two old posts (from 1998) which might be what you
need. In addition I believe I have the old 3.11 disks.

If you have the 95 upgrade cd you close everything in 3.1 except
ProgMan and use RUN and enter the path to \Win95\Setup.exe. Install
95 to a different directory than 3.1. In MSDOS.SYS while in 95 make
sure in [Options] you have the line BootMulti=1
OSR2 on FAT16 can multiboot but it needs a fix.

With full 95 cd you DO NOT answer the License Agreement when it
appears,
ALT-TAB to get ProgMan on top and edit C:\Wininst0.400\Setuppp.inf and
add the line OEMUP=1 below the line [data] save and minimize ProgMan
and NOW answer the 95 License Agreement and install thinks you have
upgrade version.

and another ancient post:

Move \Win95 to the HD of the Win3.1. Start 3.1 and close everything
but Progman. Use START and enter path to \Win95\Setup.exe. Let
install go until the 95 License appears, DO NOT ANSWER it. ALT-TAB to
get Progman on top and launch text editor, edit
C:\Wininst0.400\Setuppp.inf, add the line OEMUP=1 directly under the
line [data], save, minimize Progman and now answer the License.