Workstation SVC will not start automatically, but starts manually

Raj

Aug 6, 2008, 12:54:38 PM8/6/08
Experts,

I am running Windows 2003 Server SP2, and on this machine, I
cannot get the Workstation service to start automatically (thoug the
service is set to start automatically). Once the machine boots up, I
can log in and start the service from the services panel manually
without any problems. I checked the dependencies, and this service is
not dependent on any other service. Understandably, other services
that are dependent on Workstation do not start up either. The Error
log lists the following two entries:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7009
Date: 8/6/2008
Time: 10:12:12 AM
User: N/A
Computer: RAJLAP1
Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the Workstation service to
connect.

------------------------
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7000
Date: 8/6/2008
Time: 10:12:12 AM
User: N/A
Computer: RAJLAP1
The Workstation service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a
timely fashion.

These entries do not give me any clue on where to look. Any and all
help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Raj.