56k modem not accessible by fax programs

Markus R. Keßler

Jan 15, 2007, 7:18:29 AM1/15/07
Dear all,

perhaps someone ran into the same problem:

I have a Creatix 33.6k serial modem connected to one of my wfw3.11
machines for years and it runs without any problem.

Now I purchased a new Devolo 56k / V.92 modem as an "upgrade", i.e. for
higher speed and connected it in the same way to the pc.

I can access it under Windows as well as under Dos and send AT commands.

In internet mode i.e. driven by Trumpet winsock, it runs fast and
stable. So, at least electrically it seems to be ok, but, it refuses to
run in fax mode.

I tried Winfax Pro 3.0, Winfax Pro 4.0 and Trio Datafax.

Datafax detects it on com2 and the installation routine runs and ends
successfully but Datafax cannot open it for sending nor for receiving
faxes anyway.

The test utility coming along with Winfax Pro 4.0 creates a report file
which says the following:

/*----------------------------------------------------------------------

Serial mouse detected on COM1
COM2 is available for testing

COM2 selected for testing

COM2 Opening...
COM2 is open

COM2 Initializing...
COM2 initialized at 2400

Address and IRQ...
(2F8h, IRQ3)

COM2 Response Test...
[ATE0]
->
[ATE0]
->
Either there is no modem on the selected port or it is not responding.

COM2 Test Results
Delrina TEST did not detect a modem on this port.
----------------------------------------------------------------------*/

My first assumption was that perhaps there were slight modifications to
the protocol to access a modem for fax mode in the past years and those
programs like Winfax 3 or 4 cannot handle, but for instance my Longshine
modem is not older than the Devolo and it runs, and so also the serial
port is definitively ok.

Is there a kind of serial interface monitor application out which can be
used to see what's going out or coming in on the serial connection, i.e.
COM1 or COM2?

Any ideas what to do next?

Best regards,

Markus