Tray Icon Sharing

santosh

Aug 16, 2004, 7:50:33 AM8/16/04
Hi All ,
My application creates a system tray icon.
User will use this tray icon to run the applcation.

I am facing the problem in the following situation.
- User will remotely login to machine A (with administrator login)
from machine B and installs my application which creates a system tray
icon. I can see the system tray icon from Machine B and can even
invoke it to run the application.
But when i physically login to machine A with the same login and
password i am not able to see my system tray icon. I can see the tray
icon exe from the task manager.
How can i share the tray icon in all the sessions??

I am using Win 2003 and the application is written using VS.Net 7.0

thanks
Santosh
//Shell_notifyIconAllSessions

Tim Robinson

Aug 16, 2004, 8:28:34 AM8/16/04
santosh wrote:
[...]

> But when i physically login to machine A with the same login and
> password i am not able to see my system tray icon. I can see the tray
> icon exe from the task manager.
> How can i share the tray icon in all the sessions??
>
> I am using Win 2003 and the application is written using VS.Net 7.0

Run multiple copies of your application, one for each logon session. Each
session (in the sense of a Terminal Services login, or a user logging in
interactively) maintains its own set of window stations, desktops and
windows. Since taskbar icons use Windows messages to communicate (both from
your program to Explorer, to create the icon, and from Explorer to your
program, to relay mouse input), they can't be shared across sessions.

--
Tim Robinson (MVP, Windows SDK)
http://mobius.sourceforge.net/