FindFirstUrlCacheGroup -> GroupID. What is its meaning ?

R.Wieser

Dec 23, 2021, 4:04:35 PM12/23/21
Hello all,

I've still got an XP machine with IE6 on it (which I don't use by the way)
and
noticed it caches (visits to) local HTML pages even when they open in FF.
So, I found myself using "FindFirstUrlCacheGroup" to see whats in there.

The thing is that I have absolutily *no* idea what the "GroupID" its outputs
means. Currently I do not even know if its an enumerated or a bit-mapped
value.

I know I can use the GroupID to delete /something/, but would like to know
*what* I'm deleting.

Bottom line: Does someone have a list of possible "GroupID" values and what
they mean ?

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

R.Wieser

Dec 24, 2021, 9:35:43 AM12/24/21

> Bottom line: Does someone have a list of possible "GroupID" values and
> what they mean ?

I just noticed the "GetUrlCacheGroupAttribute" function.

Alas, all but the "dwGroupFlags" fields are Zero. IOW, not much in the way
of information can be gleaned from it (not even a group name) ...

So, I'm still looking for a bit more info.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

JJ

Dec 25, 2021, 7:17:06 PM12/25/21
Perhaps the Cache Group is related to the subfolders within the `Temporary
Internet Files\Content.IE5`?

Cause I always wonder why would they need to spread the cache files into
multiple folders, rather than just put all of the files into one folder.

R.Wieser

Dec 26, 2021, 4:49:01 AM12/26/21
JJ,

> Perhaps the Cache Group is related to the subfolders within the `Temporary
> Internet Files\Content.IE5`?

Possibly, but not likely. The (single, constant) value I'm getting is
10000000:00000007 (eight bytes, grouped as DWORDs). And as there are only
four cache sub-folders ...

> Cause I always wonder why would they need to spread the cache files into
> multiple folders, rather than just put all of the files into one folder.

Same here. Never really took the time to throw guesses at it though.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

"JJ" <jj4p...@gmail.com> wrote in message