LVN_GETINFOTIP / NMLVGETINFOTIP - set timeout ?

R.Wieser

Sep 8, 2022, 4:35:54 AM9/8/22
Hello all,

I've got a listview for which I want to display some extra info using an
"infotip".

Altought that works the time I get to read it is rather short and would like
to make it a bit longer (preferrably for as long as the mouse is on the
infotip). Alas, I can't seem to find a LVM_* message which does that.

tl;dr:
Does anyone know how to change the "infotip" visibility time ?

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

P.s.
If anyone knows how to get an LVN_GETINFOTIP for subitems too (XPsp3:
comctl32 v5.82) I would not say no to that either. :-)

Paul N

Sep 8, 2022, 8:43:51 AM9/8/22
I did a bit of looking (I'm not an expert) and I found https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/controls/ttm-setdelaytime which tells you how to set that for a tooltip using TTM_SETDELAYTIME and TTDT_AUTOPOP. The snag here presumably is that you are not creating the tooltip yourself, it is sort of buried in the listview. If you could find a way to get the HWND of the tooltip presumably you could do this but it's not clear if it's possible to get that value. Sorry.

R.Wieser

Sep 8, 2022, 10:42:46 AM9/8/22
Paul,

> I did a bit of looking (I'm not an expert) and I found
> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/controls/ttm-setdelaytime
> which tells you how to set that for a tooltip using TTM_SETDELAYTIME and
> TTDT_AUTOPOP.

Grumble, grumble ... I was going thru the listview messages, and totally
forgot to take a peek at the tooltips ones. :-|

Thanks for the link.

> you could find a way to get the HWND of the tooltip

*That* one I found : LVM_GETTOOLTIPS.

I just tried both, and it works like a charm. Although there is no "show
until move away from the tooltip" I think that using 0x7FFFFFFF (over 24
days) will do just fine. :-)

Regards,
Rudy Wieser