Re: VXDs for WFWG

Jonathan de Boyne Pollard

Apr 8, 2010, 5:48:57 PM4/8/10

Can Watcom C/C++ build VXDs for WFWG 3.11?

Yes.  People have done that very thing.

What else would I need?

There are VXDs in OpenWatcom that are built using nothing but OpenWatcom itself.  But the build mechanism — from a quick glance through it — only provides enough libraries, include files, headers, and whatnot to support building those specific VxDs.

For general-purpose VxD development, without the extra effort of having to create your own libraries and headers from scratch, you'll therefore need the DOS-Windows 3.x/9x/ME DDK.  It's not free software, and so of course doesn't come with free softwares such as OpenWatcom.  Microsoft itself won't give it to you any more.  And it has been so long that most of the people who were passing it around under the table don't do so any more.

Mr Sensible

Jul 21, 2010, 6:16:16 AM7/21/10
On Thu, 2010-04-08 at 22:48 +0100, Jonathan de Boyne Pollard wrote:

Only just found this in my list of things to reply to!

> > Can Watcom C/C++ build VXDs for WFWG 3.11?

> Yes. People have done that very thing.

> > What else would I need?

> There are VXDs in OpenWatcom that are built using nothing but
> OpenWatcom itself. But the build mechanism — from a quick glance
> through it — only provides enough libraries, include files, headers,
> and whatnot to support building those specific VxDs.

Good, that's all I needed to know.

> For general-purpose VxD development, without the extra effort of
> having to create your own libraries and headers from scratch, you'll
> therefore need the DOS-Windows 3.x/9x/ME DDK. It's not free software,
> and so of course doesn't come with free softwares such as OpenWatcom.
> Microsoft itself won't give it to you any more. And it has been so
> long that most of the people who were passing it around under the
> table don't do so any more.

That isn't a problem, thanks. One of the things I'm interested in is
writing graphic drivers for WFWG 3.x installations on more modern PCs.
--
http://www.munted.org.uk

One very high maintenance cat living here.

Ross Ridge

Jul 22, 2010, 11:03:59 AM7/22/10
Mr Sensible <alex....@munted.org.uk> wrote:
>That isn't a problem, thanks. One of the things I'm interested in is
>writing graphic drivers for WFWG 3.x installations on more modern PCs.

Windows 3.x graphic drivers are 16-bit user-mode DLLs. You don't
normally need to write a VxD for them. However, wou'll almost certainly
need to somehow aquire a legitmate copy of the Windows DDK from the era
to make one. Windows 3.x graphics drivers implemented almost all GDI
functionality themselves. Because of that most, if not all, graphics
drivers were based off the reference driver source included in the DDK

Ross Ridge

--
l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
[oo][oo] rri...@csclub.uwaterloo.ca