how to create simple executables

Charles Wilkins

Nov 5, 2002, 9:07:07 AM11/5/02
I am a linux C++ developer and have a couple questions if anybody can
help me.

1 ) What is required in terms of a C++ compiler / implementation to
create simple (non-gui) windows command line executables with standard
C++ code?

I am interested in those that create the best portability as well as
do a good job adhering to ISO/IEC 14882-1998.

2 ) Which of the compilers can be used to create real-mode DOS
executables?

3 ) What would be a good programmers reference that outlines the
differences between writing standard C++ programs for windows
(non-gui) versus real-mode DOS?

Thank you in advance and best regards,
Charles Wilkins

Paul Seaton

Nov 5, 2002, 9:49:48 AM11/5/02

"Charles Wilkins" <ch...@pcscs.com> wrote in message

> I am a linux C++ developer and have a couple questions if anybody can
> help me.
>
> 1 ) What is required in terms of a C++ compiler / implementation to
> create simple (non-gui) windows command line executables with standard
> C++ code?
>
> I am interested in those that create the best portability as well as
> do a good job adhering to ISO/IEC 14882-1998.
>
> 2 ) Which of the compilers can be used to create real-mode DOS
> executables?

Here's a nice (free..!) compiler for DOS :

http://www.htsoft.com/products/pacific.html

Paul Seaton.

Charles Wilkins

Nov 5, 2002, 10:10:09 AM11/5/02
On Tue, 5 Nov 2002 14:49:48 +0000 (UTC), "Paul Seaton"

>Here's a nice (free..!) compiler for DOS :
>
>http://www.htsoft.com/products/pacific.html
>

>Paul Seaton.

Hi Paul,
Thank you for the reply.

Does this compiler support C++ and the Standard Template Library?

If not, do you know of one that does?

Here is a clarification of what I am seeking:

I am looking for the easiest best way run my standard C++ Linux
programs (standard ISO/IEC 14882-1998) in DOS and WIN32.

Can you recommend a compiler / implementation that does the following:
can compile for real-mode DOS (like BorlandPowerPackforDOS)
can compile for win32 (like BorlandPowerPackforDOS)
includes the STL
uses new header style: #include<iostream> instead of:
#include<iostream.h>

Thank you again and best regards,
Charles Wilkins

Paul Seaton

Nov 5, 2002, 1:02:59 PM11/5/02

> On Tue, 5 Nov 2002 14:49:48 +0000 (UTC), "Paul Seaton"
>
> >Here's a nice (free..!) compiler for DOS :
> >
> >http://www.htsoft.com/products/pacific.html
> >

> >Paul Seaton.
>
> Hi Paul,
> Thank you for the reply.
>
> Does this compiler support C++ and the Standard Template Library?

No, & I'm sorry, I missed the '++' specification..

> If not, do you know of one that does?

I'm way out of my depth here, but a quick search finds this:

http://www.gnu.org/order/windows.html

Now I'd better leave this thread to people who know what they're talking
about : )

Paul Seaton.

Jussi Jumppanen

Nov 18, 2002, 7:31:31 AM11/18/02
Charles Wilkins wrote:

> I am a linux C++ developer and have a couple questions if anybody can
> help me.
>
> 1 ) What is required in terms of a C++ compiler / implementation to

> create simple (non-gui) windows command line executable with standard
> C++ code?

Most c++ compilers for the Windows will have no touble with this
task. For example a nice free C/C++ (GNU port) compiler for MS-Windows
can be found here:

http://agnes.dida.physik.uni-essen.de/~janjaap/mingw32/

Also the very good Borland BCC Verison 5.5 c/c++ compiler is now almost
free (you need to supply some user details) can be found here:

http://www.borland.com/bcppbuilder/freecompiler

> 2 ) Which of the compilers can be used to create real-mode DOS
> executables?

Are you sure you want to program for real-mode DOS? If you are
targeting the modern windows platform you can achieve the same
results using a Win32 console application.

> 3 ) What would be a good programmers reference that outlines the
> differences between writing standard C++ programs for windows
> (non-gui) versus real-mode DOS?

For more information about DOS programming you might want to take
a look at:

http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/

I think it is one of the last true 32 DOS compiler still in active
development.

Jussi Jumppanen
Author of: Zeus for Windows, Win32 (Brief, Emacs, etc) FTP Text Editor
"The C/C++, Java, HTML, Python, Pascal, PHP, Perl programmer's editor"
Home Page: http://www.zeusedit.com