Windows 8.1 Network Password

Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

Mar 22, 2015, 4:13:47 PM3/22/15
Question about accessing other computers on small office network.....

I recently bought a PC with 8.1, got all the updates and then connected to the office Netgear router via wired ethernet. Not using wireless for this. No problem accessing from any computer to the other 3. Passwords were not set -- that is, when it asks for a password, we leave the pw field blank, hit 'enter' and it connected right away.

Then one day, I tried to access the older computers with the 8.1 and it would not accept a blank password. Then I entered the administrator pw and same problem. I suspect someone entered a password they thought was needed and it accept it as a new password -- but don't know. Nobody is admitting to it.

Anyway, I checked that nothing had been changed on the other 3 computers, and all connect fine to each other with no password needed.

So it sounds like the problem is with the new 8.1.

Sorry for long story.... I wanted to be sure all the info was out there for any helpful PC gurus.

My hunch is I should be able to reset the passwords in the 8.1 machine, but the 8.1 help menu is no help so far, and is extremely difficult for me to use. Struck out also searchiing online and at microsoft. com.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! (Suggestions like "smash the machine with Pepsi bottle", or "run over it with your Chevy", are already on my list as defaults....)

Thanks in advance!

Snuffy