How to find out the max bandwidth on the client side?

Viv

Aug 16, 2010, 11:35:35 AM8/16/10
Hi all,

I have to write a C/C++ client application on windows that runs in the
background and keeps sending info to the server. Depending on the
speed of the interface, I have to give the user the possibility to
select what percentage of the bandwitdth the application shall use.
Lets say, if the maximum transfer rate is 1000 kb/s and the user says
that 10% can be used by my application I want to do a 100 kb/s. I
could actually do (in this sample):
while (data left to send) {
send 100 kB of data
wait 1 second
}
which will do the 100kb/s, but my problem is: How could I determine
(in my client application) the maximum transfer rate (maximum
Bandwidth) in order to "translate" then later the percentages the user
wishes?

I found the sample here:
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/IP/Bandwidth_throttling.aspx
but this seems to be the code needed for the server side and I need
the code that would be on a client side (C/C++).

Thx in advance,
Viv