The Messenger service terminated with service-specific error 2270.

Raymond Li

Sep 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/2/99
Hello,
My NT workstation 4 give me the above error event whenever boot up.
What does it mean 'error 2270'?

I checked the services, all I can tell is the service messenger
fails to start.
Thanks in advance for your advices!

Yours,
Raymond Li

Raymond Li

Sep 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/2/99

Peter Gründl

Sep 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/2/99

Raymond Li wrote in message <37CE3407...@hkjc.org.hk>...

>Hello,
> My NT workstation 4 give me the above error event whenever boot up.
>What does it mean 'error 2270'?
Quote from Technet:

Further information can be obtained by using the NET HELPMSG command. Error
message 2270 is explained by the following:
The computer name could not be added as a message alias. The name may
already exist on the network.

CAUSE
This occurs when the name given to the computer is not unique on the
network. Sometimes a computer will be given a name that is also a user name.

The messenger functions by listening to the network for messages directed to
a set of aliases. The list of aliases consists of the computer name, the
user name of the current user, and any aliases added via the NET NAME
command. If there are no users logged on, the only alias that messenger can
listen to is the computer name. Therefore, the messenger always expects to
be able to add the computer name, during startup, as an alias to listen to.
If this name already exists on the network (because it was added on another
machine), the messenger is unsuccessful in adding that name, and fails to
start.

RESOLUTION
Rename the computer to a unique name by choosing the Network icon in Control
Panel. The next time you start Windows NT, the error message should not
appear.

Peter Gründl, ntsu...@ntsupport.dk, http://ntsupport.dk