Configuration advice

Another Poster

Jul 17, 2004, 4:35:21 PM7/17/04
Hello, I'm doing some changes to an NT network and am seeking some
advice on what I will need to do ahead of time. Basically what I am
doing is adding a BDC which will act as an internet proxy for a group of
workstations in a separate building. Our current configuration looks
like this:

|Hub|---PCs, Printers, etc

Router---PDC

|Hub|---PCs, Printers, etc

Once everything is in place, it will look like this:

|Hub|---PCs, Printers, etc
PC---- |
\ |
PC-----|Hub|----BDC/Proxy---/ /----Router---PDC
/ |
PC---- |
|Hub|---PCs, Printers, etc

The only thing between the BDC/Prxy and the Router is Cat5 cable and 2
Wireless Bridges, so it will be basically a straight ethernet connection.

My primary queston is what I will need to do on the BDC to make sure the
PDC and computers on the right can communicate with the computers on the
left. Will the BDC pass DHCP and SMB straight through by default, or
will I need to configure the BDC and/or the PDC as WINS servers? Or
would it be easier to configfure everything with static IPs and use DNS?

Thanks in advance for any help! :o)