TCPSVCS Consumes 98% CPU

Craig Dedo

Aug 3, 2004, 10:40:02 AM8/3/04
Within the last few months, the TCPSVCS.EXE program consumes over 98%
of CPU time whenever I reboot my computer. Why does this happen and
what can I do to fix the problem?

I am running a home network using an NT Server domain.

1. My regular work computer is an HP Pavilion 750n with 1Gb RAM, 4 Gb
virtual memory, and 75Gb disk space. It is running Windows XP
Professional SP1 with all the latest updates installed.

2. My domain controller is an old Compaq Deskpro with 320 Mb RAM, 2.1
Gb hard disk. It is running Windows NT Server SP6a (Build 1381).

Apparently, the other computers on my network do not have the problem
with TCPSVCS.

I searched the Microsoft Knowledge Base articles for references to
TCPSVCS. I only got a few articles, most of which referred to older
versions of Windows NT. Of the DLLS mentioned, the only one not
installed either on the XP machine nor on the NT server is
DHCPSSVC.DLL. Do I need to get and install this? If so, how do I get
it? Do I install it both on the XP machine and on the NT server or
only on the NT server?

Is there anyting else I should do? If so what and how do I do it?

Olof Lagerkvist

Aug 3, 2004, 11:59:29 AM8/3/04
Craig Dedo wrote:

> Within the last few months, the TCPSVCS.EXE program consumes over 98%
> of CPU time whenever I reboot my computer. Why does this happen and
> what can I do to fix the problem?

TCPSVCS.EXE provides a service called "Simple TCP/IP Services". It
provides the small tcp and udp services chargen, daytime, discard, echo,
qotd. Each of these services can be enabled/disabled under
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SimpTcp\Parameters.

But do you really need any of these services? If you do, you can try to
disable all of the services you do not need (set registry value to 0)
and restart "Simple TCP/IP Services". If you do not need any of the
services, stop and disable "Simple TCP/IP Services" in the Control Panel.

--
Olof Lagerkvist
ICQ: 724451