Windows NT Internet FAQ, Part 2/2

1 view

Steve Scoggins

Feb 16, 2004, 4:59:02 AM2/16/04
Archive-name: windows-nt/internet-faq/part2
Posting-Frequency: monthly
Last-modified: 1994/12/30
Version: 1.1

Below is the rasphone.pbk entry for my Evergreen slip connection
which uses my static IP address.

[EVERGREEN SLIP]
Description=
AutoLogon=0
User=
Domain=
BaseProtocol=2
Authentication=-1
ExcludedProtocols=0
LcpExtensions=1
DataEncryption=0
SlipHeaderCompression=1
SlipFrameSize=1006
SlipIpAddress=198.60.143.32
SkipDownLevelDialog=0

I played around with a PPP connection using dynamic
IP and it worked fine. This works because the PPP protocol
negotiates the proper IP addresses for each end of the link
and the appropriate MTU etc.

Below is my rasphone.pbk entry for the Evergreen PPP connection:

[ENETPPP]
Description=
AutoLogon=1
User=
Domain=
BaseProtocol=1
Authentication=0
ExcludedProtocols=3
LcpExtensions=0
DataEncryption=0
PppTextAuthentication=0
PppIpPrioritizeRemote=1
PppIpVjCompression=0
PppIpAddress=0.0.0.0
PppIpAssign=2
PppIpDnsAddress=168.158.8.5
PppIpDns2Address=
PppIpWinsAddress=
PppIpWins2Address=
PppIpNameAssign=2
SkipDownLevelDialog=0

Below is my switch.inf login script for the Evergreen PPP login
using dynamic IP.

[ENETPPP]
;
; Wait until we get the "username:" prompt
COMMAND=
ERROR_NO_CARRIER=<match>"NO CARRIER"
OK=<match>"ame:"
;
; Give the account and wait for "password:" prompt
COMMAND=USERNAME<cr>
ERROR_NO_CARRIER=<match>"NO CARRIER"
OK=<match>"ord:"
;
; Give the password and ignore response (we're done)
COMMAND=PASSWORD<cr>
ERROR_NO_CARRIER=<match>"NO CARRIER"
; Wait for "Alpine>" send the PPP command
OK=<match>"ine>"
COMMAND=PPP<cr>
ERROR_NO_CARRIER=<match>"NO CARRIER"
; Wait for my IP address
CONNECT=<match>"Switching to PPP"
ERROR_DIAGNOSTICS=<cr><lf><Diagnostics>
;
; CONNECT response means that the connection completed fine.
; ERROR_DIAGNOISTICS response means connection attempt failed
; - the DIAGNOSTIC information will be extracted from the response
; and sent to the user.
;
; ERROR_NO_CARRIER means that the remote modem hung up.
; ERROR resonses are for generic failures.
;

Q4B-9: Will the NT slip work with TIA?

Yes NT slip will work with a TIA SLIP-via-shell account.
However, Ping and traceroute will not work with a TIA
SLIP-via-shell account adapter, also TIA does not support
VJ compression.

Q4B-10: If I use WFWG V3.11 RAS to connect to a NTAS V3.5
server can I use telnet and FTP?

No, the WFWG V3.11 RAS uses the NETBEUI protocol and does
not support the TCP/IP protocol.

You can use Peter Tattam's Trumpet Winsock which supports
slip and ppp.

FTP//ftp.trumpet.com.au:/ftp/pub/beta/winsock
filename twsk20b.zip

Q4B-11: I am using Windows V3.1 or WFWG V3.11. Can I use Peter Tattam's
Trumpet winsock software to connect to the NT V3.5 RAS using SLIP or PPP?
What are the required configuration settings for NT and Trumpet to
make this work correctly?

Yes you can use the Trumpet PPP protocol to dial-in to a NT RAS PPP server.

Note, you can not use SLIP for this connection since NT V3.5 RAS only
supports PPP for dial-in access.

However you can setup a WFWG PPP connection into a NT RAS server by
using the new Trumpet 2.0B winsock. Setup Trumpet for PPP with PAP
authentication as follows:

Setup the following configuration for the NT RAS and TCP/IP as follows:

Using the Registry editor set the following parameters:

\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan\PPP

ForceEncryptedData REG_DWORD 0
ForceEncryptedPassword REG_DWORD 0

\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

IPEnableRouter REG_DWORD 1

Setup the Windows NT V3.5 for DHCP with a pool of available IP addresses.

Install the Trumpet Winsock by following the directions in Peter's
install documentation. Add the path to the Trumpet directory containing
the winsock.dll to your PATH statement in your Autoexec.bat.

Make sure you do not have any other vendors winsock.dll files in other
directories which are in the DOS path. If you do, rename them or delete
them.

Setup the Trumpet for PPP with your IP set to 0.0.0.0 and the gateway
set to 0.0.0.0

Turn on PAP authentication and enter your normal NT login
username and password.

When you have finished configuring Trumpet using the Tcpman.exe
using the Setup menu, the settings are stored in the "Trumpwsk.ini"
the contents of this file should look similar to the following:

[Trumpet Winsock]
ip=0.0.0.0
netmask=255.255.255.0
gateway=0.0.0.0
dns=nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn
time=nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn
domain=your.domain.com
vector=00
mtu=1500
rwin=4096
mss=1460
rtomax=60
ip-buffers=32
slip-enabled=1
slip-port=2
slip-baudrate=19200
slip-handshake=1
slip-compressed=1
dial-option=0
online-check=1
inactivity-timeout=5
slip-timeout=0
slip-redial=0
dial-parity=0
font=Courier,9
registration-name=""
registration-password="h[G?"Rgl"
use-socks=0
socks-host=0.0.0.0
socks-port=1080
socks-id=
socks-local1=0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0
socks-local2=0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0
socks-local3=0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0
socks-local4=0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0
ppp-enabled=1
ppp-usepap=1
ppp-username="kjdskjaf"
ppp-password="sakfjiej"
win-posn=0 2 636 410 30 415 -1 -1 1
trace-options=0

Use the Tcpman manual login option and type ATDT NNN-NNNNN followed by
a return to initiate a phone call to the NT PPP server.
When you see the modem CONNECT echo, hit the ESCAPE key to start up
the PPP connection negotiation. Use the TCPMAN trace menu option
with DNS enabled if you want to see the connection negotiations
echoed to the screen.

The Trumpet PPP will handshake with the Windows NT PPP and you will
be authenticated. You will then see a message on the Trumpet
Tcpman screen saying accepted and then you will see the dynamically
assigned IP address echoed to your screen.

You can use the NT RAS Admin to view the active users after the
PPP PAP authentication is complete.

I was able to run the Netscape WWW client, J Junod's WS_FTP GUI FTP
client, and the Trumpet Telnet client sucessfully. The DNS name
resolution worked flawlessly.

Q4B-12: How do I configure the Chameleon NetManage PPP TCP/IP
to dial-in using PPP to a NT 3.5 RAS PPP server?

Use the NetManage Chameleon version 4.01 or later.

Edit the slip.ini file and confirm that the PPP script contains the
following line:

"SCRIPT=-n"

Confirm that the PPP client configuration is correct, and that the
defaults are valid. The router and gateway entries should be all zero.
Double-check your IP address (if dynamic allocation, this should be
0.0.0.0). The subnet mask should be the default for your IP address
(if dynamic, this will be given during PPP negotiations).
Verify that the login name, password, and domain name are all correct.

If your machine is not physically connected to a network, make sure that
the MS Loopback Adapter is installed. (That is, if you are using RAS as
your only network connection.) After adding the MS Loopback Adapter,
the network bindings will be reconfigured. You will be asked for TCP/IP
settings for the adapter. Enter your IP address and subnet mask.
Leave the default gateway clear.

Be sure that the Remote Access Service is installed. Select enable
receiving calls. Select Control panel, then Remote Access Service, then
Configure, then Network Settings enable TCP/IP in the middle section.
Configure this and allow access to the entire network (this may not be
necessary). Configure the addresses here (I used a static allocation).
Enable a requested address, if you want the WFW machine to be able to
request a specific address.

Turn on IP routing and RAS forwarding.
Using the Registry Editor, set "IPEnableRouter" (REG_DWORD) to 0x1
in order to enable IP routing.

\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

IPEnableRouter REG_DWORD 1

Note that NTAS users can check this box in
\ControlPanel\Network\TCP/IP\Configure\Advanced

If other clients on the local subnet will be using the NT RAS
server as a router, you should also set the following:

\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasArp\Parameters

You may need to add the registry key entry "DisableOtherSrcPackets".

Set "DisableOtherSrcPackets" (REG_DWORD) to 0x0 to enable the IP packets
from the other clients on the local ethernet to pass through the
NT gateway. You can also set it to 0x1 to disable other clients IP
packets.

Q4B-13: Where can I find a UUCP communications software package for
Windows NT?

UUPC/extended is a PC based version (and pun of) UUCP (UNIX-to- UNIX
copy). UUPC/extended is a program which implements peer-to- peer
networking for using the UNIX UUCP protocols. Windows NT, Windows, MS-DOS
or OS/2 based Personal Computers using these protocols can exchange
mail and files with a UNIX system or other UUPC/extended systems over
dial up or dedicated phone lines.

Automated mail server running at Kendra Electronic Wonderworks.
Clarkson University BBS
Registering your current copy

Note: Because of time and disk space restrictions, we do not
manually e-mail copies of the source or executables,
provide custom .ARC or .ZIP files with only a limited
set of the files, or provide other custom distribution
services-- please don't ask.

Instructions

Anonymous FTP

UUPC/extended 1.12b for Windows NT is available via ftp:

ftp://ftp.wustl.edu/systems/ibmpc/win3/nt
upc12bn1.zip 931004 UUPC/Extended UUCP Clone for NT
upc12bn2.zip 931004 UUPC/Extended UUCP Clone for NT
upc12bn3.zip 931004 UUPC/Extended UUCP Clone for NT

The master site for UUPC/extended is located at
Clarkson University at the following URL:

ftp.clarkson.edu, IP address 128.153.4.2, directory pub/uupc

FTP programs vary from system to system; contact your local system
support staff for instructions on anonymous FTP.

Kendra Electronic Wonderworks archive server

Send a mail message containing the commands "index" and/or "help", one
command per line, in the body of the message to list...@kew.com for the
current file list and/or instructions.

Clarkson University Bulletin Board

The Clarkson University Bulletin Board is reached 24 hours a day at
(315)268-6667, 8N1, 1200/2400 Baud. Follow the instructions after logon
to download files.

Registering your current copy

To receive a copy of the next major release when it becomes available,
register your current copy according to the instructions in How to
Register UUPC/extended. You can also order the current release from us
using the form in How to Register UUPC/extended.

About the files

The available UUPC/extended files include:

Name Description

index The current directory listing for the
UUPC/extended archive. (Only available on
kewgate and the various Clarkson systems)

upc12bad.zip Formatted documentation files for UUPC/extended

upc12baw.zip Word for Windows documentation source files for
UUPC/extended

upc12bap.zip Documentation files formatted for a PostScript
printer

upc12bn1.zip Executable files for Windows NT for Intel x86, 1
of 3.

upc12bn2.zip Executable files for Windows NT for Intel x86, 2
of 3.

upc12bn3.zip Executable files for Windows NT for Intel x86, 3
of 3.

upc12bs1.zip Source files for UUPC/extended, 1 of 2.

upc12bs2.zip Source files for UUPC/extended, 2 of 2.

howtoget.txt This file. (Only available on kewgate and
various Clarkson systems)

announce.txt A summary of the newest release. This file is
generally an abridged version of the current
CHANGES.PRN file included in the documentation
archive. This file is not created if the current
release has limited changes. For all releases,
CHANGES.PRN is the definitive summary of
changes. (Only available on kewgate and various
Clarkson systems)

Note: Windows NT users will want upc12bn1.zip, upc12bn2.zip,
upc12bn3.zip, and upc12bad.zip.

SUBSECTION 4C: Gateway

Q4C-1: How do I enable IP routing between a NTAS server with a PPP/SLIP
connection to the internet and the local IP subnet?

The following is based on the information I received from several
sources, you should enable the following registry entries:

Also, make sure you enable routing on the NTAS servers on both ends of
the PPP to PPP link.

Do not use the same IP address for the local ethernet card and
the RAS PPP to PPP link. The local ethernet card should have an
IP assigned from you local subnet, and the PPP IP address should
be assigned from the Internet providers subnet you are dialing into
using RAS.

You will have to use the route command to add a static route from the NT server
to other machines on the local subnet. Use the netstat -rn
command on the NT server to confirm proper routing table entries
after you establish the RAS PPP to PPP link.

Enabling Routing of IP Packets on RAS Clients for NTAS V3.5

\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

IPEnableRouter
REG_DWORD:0x1 Enables IP routing
REG_DWORD:0x0 Disables IP routing

You must set the DisableOtherSrcPackets registry entry on RAS clients
if you want to route IP packets through that RAS client. This parameter
only affects forwarding of packets on the client side--this does not
affect the server.

Note: (I could not find this entry so I assume you must add it.)

The registry path for this entry is:
\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasArp\Parameters

DisableOtherSrcPackets

REG_DWORD:0x1 Disable IP packets from external sources
REG_DWORD:0x0 Enable IP packets from external sources

Controls the routing of IP packets with an IP source address other than
the IP address of the RAS network adapter card.

Set to 0 packets with source address other than the IP address of the
RAS adapter will be sent.

Set to 1 packets with source address other than the IP address of the
RAS adapter will not be sent.

Default: 1

We received the following message from Carl Byington with comments
on the use of Windows NT as a TCP/IP gateway with IP routing enable.

FROM: Carl Byington
TO: Steve Scoggins
DATE: 11/9/94 11:23 AM

Re: Routing with PPP works!

Well, it does work but there are some pitfalls.

We have a class C internet network that is subnetted, and my part of it uses the subnet mask
255.255.255.248 - that gives me 8 host addresses, 2 of which are loopback and broadcast so
I can have 6 hosts on my subnet, although I currently have only two machines. My host
addresses are .17 and .18 and the reserved ones are .16 and .23.

The .18 machine is the secondary machine without a modem. The .17 machine is the primary
machine with the modem and another IP address for the RAS link.

The RAS link uses IP addresses .9 (the Unix end) and .10 (my end). Note that this puts the
RAS link on a different network than my local ethernet.

I have SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/RasArp/Parameters/DisableOtherSrcPackets set
to 0 (I had to create this entry).

I have SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/Tcpip/Parameters/IPEnableRouter set to 1.

The configuration for .18 is
default gateway = .17
dns server address = .130

The configuration for .17 is
default gateway = .17
dns = none

The RAS configuration on .17 is
require specific IP address = .10
dns server address = .130
use default gateway on remote network

With that configuration, if I just boot .17, I can ping .18 but not .130 since we are not
connected yet. After bringing up the RAS link, I can ping .130 and the rest of the world.
HOWEVER, we are not done yet. Attempts to ping from .17 to .18 cause NT to die with the
blue screen. This is on the 807 debug build from MSDNII.

So we reboot .17 and this time set a static route to .18 with
'route add x.x.x.18 x.x.x.17'
reconnect the RAS link and everything works like a charm. Both .17 and .18 can ping the
world thru the RAS link, and both can run Mosaic. WHEE!!

It seems that the 'use default gateway on remote network' setting in the RAS tcp/ip dialog
overrides all the local routing unless you have static routes set. If the local network had a lot
of machines, that would be a real pain. In my case, I can just have the startup group run a
single route add command.

The other problem is that the route add does not work unless you are logged in with
administrator privileges, and it does not stick around between reboots. Therefore, after every
reboot, you need to log in as administrator and reset the local static routes. If you fail to do
this, then bringing up the ras link and pinging local machines kills your machine. Oh well, at
least the consequences are severe enough that the training time is fairly small.

Thank you very much for all your help with this!

SECTION 5: Network Applications

Q5-1: What winsock software works with Windows NT or NTAS Version 3.5?

You can use the Winsock Application FAQ, by Larsen Consulting as a
starting point for a list of winsock applications and where to find
them.

http://www.ramp.com/~lcs/faqhtml.html
(This will be moved to www.LCS.com sometime in the next two months)

Eudora
Email for SMTP and POP3
FTP//ftp.qualcomm.com/quest/eudora/windows/1.4/beta
filename eud143b4.exe

WinVn NNTP News Reader
FTP//titan.ksc.nasa.gov/pub/win3/winvn
filename winvn_92_5.zip

Trumpet NNTP News Reader
FTP//ftp.utas.edu.au/pub/pc/trumpet/winsock
file name wtwsk10a.zip

Cello
FTP//ftp.law.cornell/pub/L11/Cello
filename cello.zip

NCSA 32 bit Mosaic Client
FTP//ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu/PC/Mosaic
filename wmos20a8.zip

Netscape Communications Corporation Netscape Navigator(TM) WWW Client
http://home.mcom.com/home/welcome.html
ftp://ftp.mcom.com/netscape/

Netscape Navigator for free evaluation, academic or non-profit use can be obtained via
anonymous FTP from ftp.mcom.com. Free evaluation use allows individuals to use the software
for the purpose of determining whether they want to purchase an ongoing software license.
Academic and non-profit use means that students, faculty and staff of educational institutions and
employees of non-profit organizations have unlimited free use of the software. Educational
institutions and non-profit organizations can also obtain a license free of charge to redistribute
Netscape Navigator to these individuals. Organizations or individuals wishing to use Netscape
Navigator for commercial purposes can purchase supported, licensed copies of Netscape
Navigator directly from Netscape Communications. Pricing starts at $39 for a single user license,
and volume discounts are available for right-to-copy licenses for multiple users.

Netscape Communications Corporation:

1-800-NETSITE (1-800-638-7483) (DOMESTIC)
1-415-428-4330 (INTERNATIONAL)
1-415-254-2693 (FAX)
in...@mcom.com
sa...@mcom.com
For data sheets and company information: lit...@mcom.com
For technical support: sup...@mcom.com
For Netscape Navigator software beta information: cb...@mcom.com
To order our products: or...@mcom.com
https://home.mcom.com/MCOM/ordering_docs/index.html
for training information: trai...@mcom.com

Spry Air Mosaic Client
http://www.spry.com/
file://ftp.spry.com/

WS_FTP32
FTP//129.29.64.246/pub/msdos
FTP//freebsd.cdrom.com/.5/cica/winsock
ws_ftp32.zip

The latest version of this application should always be the file
/pub/msdos/winsock.files/ws_ftp.zip on ftp.usma.edu (129.29.64.246).
To access it, enter 129.29.64.246 as the host name and check the
"anonymous login" box in the WS_FTP connect dialog box.
The latest version is usually uploaded winftp.cica.indiana.edu in
the /pub/PC/win3/winsock directory as ws_ftp.zip. A test Windows
NT version of this program may be found as follows:
ws_ftp32.zip on ftp.usma.edu.
Beta versions are only available from ftp.usma.edu in the
/pub/msdosdirectory as ws_ftp.zip.beta
Source code for the 93.12.05 version is in the file ws_ftp_s.zip
in the /pub/msdos/winsock.files directory on ftp.usma.edu.

Q5-2: Where can I find Windows NT WWW or FTP sites with winsock files?

Windows NT FTP & WWW Sites

Microsoft Corporation World-Wide-Web Server
http://www.microsoft.com/
The latest Microsoft Windows NT 3.5 hardware compatibility list (HCL)
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/winnt/winnt-docs/hcl/hcl35

California State University San Marcos Library Technical Services
(Great collection of Windows NT files!)
Windows NT WWW Page
http://coyote.csusm.edu/cwis/winworld/nt.html
Windows NT FTP server
ftp://coyote.csusm.edu/pub/winworld/nt

Digital's Home Page
http://www.dec.com/
Neat guide to internet application software for the
Digital Alpha AXP servers
http://www.digital.com/cgi-bin/www-swdev/PRODUCTS/CATALOG/catalog

The Advanced Systems User Group
http://128.150.146.76/ASUG.HTML
The Advanced Systems User Group is a Windows NT-only user group.
It was founded in August 1993 in Washington, DC.
Microsoft Chairman and CEO Bill Gates attended the first ASUG meeting
in October 1993. In it's first year the ASUG has grown to nearly 2,500 members.
They also have a Windows NT Bulletin Board System, located in Washington, DC
Dial: 202-244-1161 or 202-244-1168 (use 8N1)
All-Windows interface; true client-server, you haven't seen anything like this!

Rocky Mountain Windows NT Users Home Page
http://budman.cmdl.noaa.gov/RMWNTUG/RMWNTUG.HTM

Netscape Communications Home Page
http://home.mcom.com/

NASA Goddard Space Flight Center Windows NT and NT Advanced Server Information Page
http://ms-nic.gsfc.nasa.gov/Titles/WinNT.html

EMWAC Web Server
http://emwac.ed.ac.uk/html/top.html"
ftp://emwac.ed.ac.uk/
gopher://emwac.ed.ac.uk/
The European Microsoft Windows NT Academic Centre (EMWAC) is an integral part of the
Computing Services of the University of Edinburgh and has been set up to support and act as a
focus for Windows NT within academia. It is sponsored by Datalink Computers, Digital,
Microsoft, Research Machines, Sequent and the University of Edinburgh. This WWW Service is
provided from a Sequent WinServer running Windows NT.

EMWAC's Internet Toolchest for Windows NT
http://emwac.ed.ac.uk/html/internet_toolchest/top.html
The HTTP Server for Windows NT implements the HTTP/1.0 protocol. It runs as a Windows
NT "service", just like the FTP Server which comes with Windows NT. By analogy with the
UNIX HTTP server daemon which is called httpd, the Windows NT HTTP server service is
called https. The HTTP server service is configured using a Control Panel "applet".
(Note: you will also find a Freeware Gopher Server and WAIS Server at this URL.)

University of Karlsrruhe, Germany NT Support Center
http://jerusalem.windows-nt.uni-karlsruhe.de/english.htm

WINDOWS NT Information - Main Menu- Stuttgart
Germany,http://www.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/misc/nt/nt.html

http://raj-server.srv.cs.cmu.edu/

TELNET Server for Windows NT on Intel
Ataman Software makes a shareware telnetd for Windows
NT (it comes bundled with rlogind and rexecd). You can pick up
the unregistered version via anonymous ftp from:

ftp://utahwired.com:/users/ataman/products/
filename atrls13i.zip (Intel)
atrls13a.zip (Alpha AXP)

It can also be found in the WUGNET CompuServe Forum, keyword TELNETD

Archie client for Windows NT
ftp://freebsd.cdrom.com/.5/cica/winsock/wsarch06.zip

GNU binaries for Windows NT
ftp://ftp.cc.utexas.edu/microlib/nt/gnu

TCP/IP files for Windows NT
ftp://ftp.cc.utexas.edu/microlib/win/tcpip

Sendmail for Windows NT
WinNT's Blat ver 1.0
gepasi.dbs.aber.ac.uk:/blat10.zip
ftp.cica.indiana.edu:/pub/pc/win3/nt/blat10.zip

Some other interesting Winsock Internet Sites
Winsock Application FAQ - Larsen Consulting
(An extensive guide to Winsock applications)

If you are looking to see what has been released/updated within
the last 20 days (and is FTP'able), point your WWW client to:

http://www.LCS.com/newfaq.html

To peruse the entire listing of FTP'able Winsock Applications:

http://www.LCS.com/faqhtml.html

ftp://ftp.cica.indiana.edu/pub/pc/win3/winsock
ftp://ftp.wustl.edu/systems/ibmpc/win3/winsock
ftp://ftp.halcyon.com/disk2/tiskwin
ftp://nigel.msen.com/pub/systems/ms-windows/networking/winsock/apps
ftp://dorm.rutgers.edu/pub/msdos/winsock/apps
ftp://ucselx.sdsu.edu/pub/ibm/winsock
ftp://dime.cs.umass.edu/pub/rcf/opine-dist/msdos/winsock
ftp://risc.ua.edu/pub/network/winsock
ftp://ftp.uga.edu/pub/msdos/mirror/winsock

Q5-3: Where can I find internet application software for the
Digital Alpha AXP servers

http://www.digital.com/cgi-bin/www-swdev/PRODUCTS/CATALOG/catalog

Q5-4: Where can I get NFS for NT?

NFS Server for Windows NT.
Email sa...@bws.com for more information
Beame & Whiteside Software, Inc.
Ph: 919-831-8989
706 Hillsborough St.
FAX: 919-831-8990
Raleigh, NC 27603-1655

Intergraph Corporation
One Madison Industrial Park CR1102
Huntsville, AL United States 35894
Contact: John Allen
Phone: (205) 730-6112

Application: PC-NFS for Windows NT V2.0
Operating System: NT
Intergraph Corporation. Provides Windows NT users with
network access to files on UNIX and other systems acting
as NFS servers.

The Intergraph Corporation NFS solution includes two products:
PC-NFS for Windows NT and DiskShare for Windows NT.
The X Window System server is called eXalt.
These products promote open communication and
NT Advanced Server, and UNIX operating systems

WWW home page for Intergraph
http://www.intergraph.com/
by electronic mail:
in...@intergraph.com
by telephone from the U.S.:
information:1-800-345-4856
support:1-800-633-7248
training 1-800-240-4300
regional sales information:1-800-240-1000

SUBSECTION 5A: Server

Q5A-1: Where can I find a WWW server for NT?

ftp://nigel.msen.com/pub/packages/infosystems/www/servers/https/hsi386.zip
ftp://ftp.cica.indiana.edu/pub/pc/win3/winsock/serweb03.zip
ftp://freebsd.cdrom.com/.5/cica/winsock/serweb03.zip

Q5A-2: I have heard that it is possible to create HTML pages with
MS-Word, is there a template, or a set of macros for that purpose. Does any
of you know of such templates/macros, and where can they be found?

You can use CU_HTML which is available via anonymous
ftp from ftp.cuhk.hk in the directory /pub/www/windows/util. It's
a document template for Word 2 or 6. It's well integrated with Word
and includes its own tool bar for commonly used html statements.

Q5A-3: What TELNET Servers are commerically available for Windows NT on
Intel?

Alex Miller (a...@netcom.com) wrote:

My company (Ataman Software) makes a shareware telnetd for Windows
NT (it comes bundled with rlogind and rexecd). You can pick up
the unregistered version via anonymous ftp from:

utahwired.com:/users/ataman/products/
atrls13i.zip (Intel)
atrls13a.zip (Alpha AXP)

It can also be found in the Windows NT section of America Online and
the WINSHARE, WUGNET, and MSWIN32 forums on CompuServe (search for
keyword TELNETD).

SUBSECTION 5B: Client

Q5B-1: Does anyone know if there is a program which allows you to send
SMTP mail from the command prompt on NT?

Pedro Mendes, (p...@aber.ac.uk) just finished making one such program,
and it is freeware, see below:

WinNT's Blat ver 1.0 has been uploaded to the following FTP sites:

gepasi.dbs.aber.ac.uk:/blat10.zip
ftp.cica.indiana.edu:/pub/pc/win3/nt/blat10.zip

Distributions are in the form of .ZIP files, be sure to user binary
mode FTP to do the transfer.

Blat is a command line SMTP mail client for Windows NT, originally by
Mark Neal and Pedro Mendes. A great part of the code in this program
was produced by the WinVN team (including GENSOCK.DLL).

Both source code and binaries for intel 80486 are distributed.
Recompile the source code if you need it for a different
architecture.

below is a description of the program:

Blat is a Public Domain (generous aren't we?) Windows NT console utility which
will e-mail a file to a user via SMTP. The program requires the "gensock" DLL
(borrowed from WinVN). A Registry entry is generated when the program is used
with the -SMTP flag. This stores the address of the SMTP server, and the
address of the _default_ sender (this may be overridden with the -f flag).
Impersonation can be done with the -i flag which puts the value specified in
place of the senders address in the "From:" line of the header, however if this
is done the real senders address is stamped in the "Reply-To:" and "Sender:"
lines. This can be useful when using the program to send message from NT users
that are not registered on the SMTP host.

SYNTAX:

-c <carboncopy> [-i <address>]

Blat -SMTP <server address>
Blat -SMTP <server address> <senders address>
Blat -h

-SMTP <server address>: address of SMTP server,
-SMTP <server address> <senders address>: address of SMTP host, default sender

<filename>: the file with the message body,
-s <subject>: the (optional) subject line,
-t <recipient>: the recipient's address(es),
-t <recipient>: address(es) for carbon copies,
-f <sender>: the sender's address (must be known to the SMTP server),
-i <address>: a 'From:' address, not necessarily known to the SMTP server.
-h: this help.

Q5B-2: Where can I find an archie client for NT?

ftp://freebsd.cdrom.com/.5/cica/winsock/wsarch06.zip

Q5B-3: Where can I find a rsh for Windows NT to use with a UNIX host?

William Cheung (wch...@ee.ubc.ca) has developed a program called
WinRSH/WinRSH32 - Remote Shell for Windows 1.6

This is an eighth release of WinRSH - Remote Shell for Windows

The following details what are fixed/improved in this version:

WinRSH 1.6:

1. Added a message bar to display messages internal to WinRSH.

2. Fixed occasional screen garbling bugs.

3. Disconnection from the remote host is now more responsive.

4. Fixed a bug in not able to check the "Log to File" menu once it
is unchecked.

5. The source code is now distributed as part of WinRSH in the SRC
directory under the GNU licenses and agreements.

For those who don't know what WinRSH is...

WinRSH contains a very simple user interface to allow a Window's
user to run a program remotely on your workstation using either the
RSH daemon or the REXEC daemon. The results of the remote execution
are then displayed in a scrollable window.

The following is an excerpt from readme.txt included in the
distribution.

WinRSH - Remote Shell for Windows 1.6
WinRSH32 - Remote Shell for Windows 1.6
Written by William Cheung (wch...@ee.ubc.ca)
Copyright (C) 1994 William Cheung
All Rights Reserved.

WinRSH/WinRSH32 is free software; you can redistribute it in its entirety
in any form you like. If you find any bugs, feel free to send me an
email at wch...@ee.ubc.ca. Please read "license.txt" for GNU licensing
information. If you have added new features to WinRSH, please send me
all the source code modifications, including the version of WinRSH that
you are based on. Your additions may benefit other users.

Requirements

o An IBM-PC or compatible computer using 386 or above CPU with at
least 4 MB RAM.
o Window Socket installed properly.
o A host supporting at least one of RSH or REXEC daemon.

Downloading Instructions

You can now ftp WinRSH from datacom.ee.ubc.ca [137.82.57.20]. Login
as an anonymous user and change directory to /pub/pc/winsock. The
file is called wrsh16.zip.

END Windows NT Internet FAQ