Windows2000 Disk Space on C: Drive

Ben Theil

Jan 25, 2004, 5:09:03 AM1/25/04

I have Windows2000 Professional on my system. The C: drive is about 10GB.
I gave that much room so I would not run out of space. There are some
suites that have been installed that take up some disk space. For example,
I have OfficeXP, Lotus Office, Visio etc. There are a couple more that are
as big as Visio which I hardly use.

Apart from these heavy duty apps, I have a few smaller applications such as
Webshots, ICQ, FTP client, Media applications etc.

Now, the disk space that is occupied is about 5.52 GB. :-( What is taking
up this disk space? I have deleted some applications like OpenOffice,
Lotus Notes etc. Yet it is only making a small dent when it is reclaiming
the disk space. All the applications data is being stored on D: or E:
drives.

The only other thing left is Windows updates. I do very frequently do
Windows updates. Are these Windows update files being saved on the disk
after they have been applied? If yes, where would they be located?
Where and what should I look for, to reclaim junk file space?

Thank you in advance for any help.

BT

Andrew Rossmann

Jan 25, 2004, 10:57:00 AM1/25/04
In article <Xns947B35F92AA18...@216.196.97.132>,
non...@nowhere.net says...

5.5 used on 10G? Why are you worried? You have tons of space to go,
especially as you are storing data elsewhere. If you want, turn on
compression if you are formatted NTFS and you will gain even more. Our
server at work has only 256M free on it's C:, and I don't worry.

Otherwise, check the obvious.

Empty your recycle bin.

Check the size of your browser cache's, and if you want, change their
location to another drive/partition.

Check your temp directory (most commonly \Documents and Settings\username
\Local Settings\Temp) and clean it out. [I just remembered to check mine,
and found several megabytes of leftover stuff from installs and who knows
what else, and that is just over 2-3 weeks!!]

Windows update files are usually stored on your highest local drive
letter, but are deleted on a successful install.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross