What is the opposite command of SUBST

Steve Galipeau

Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99
I just want to know what is the opposite command of subst.
JOIN was that command on old ms-dos, but this command
doesn't exist on Windows NT.

Example: I would the drive G: to be c:\test.

Is it still possible ?

Thank you!

Steve Galipeau
sgal...@morneausobeco.com

Vic

Jan 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/13/99
You could say net use c: \\servername\sharename. This doesn't quite give it
to you, because you would like c:\test, but it might help (I hope)

pinc...@my-dejanews.com

Jan 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/13/99
In article <369b76b7....@news.iti.qc.ca>,

sgal...@morneausobeco.com (Steve Galipeau) wrote:
> I just want to know what is the opposite command of subst.
> JOIN was that command on old ms-dos, but this command
> doesn't exist on Windows NT.
>
> Example: I would the drive G: to be c:\test.
>
> Is it still possible ?

Yes. Create a share for c:\test and map a driver letter to it. Using command
line you'd do this

net share test=c:\test
net use g: \\computer name\test

You can also do this from within Explorer.

cheers.

> Thank you!
>
> Steve Galipeau
> sgal...@morneausobeco.com

141.192

Jan 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/20/99
In <77in6t$3fg$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, pinc...@my-dejanews.com writes:
>> I just want to know what is the opposite command of subst.
>> JOIN was that command on old ms-dos, but this command
>> doesn't exist on Windows NT.
>> Example: I would the drive G: to be c:\test.
>> Is it still possible ?
>Yes. Create a share for c:\test and map a driver letter to it. Using command
>line you'd do this
> net share test=c:\test
> net use g: \\computer name\test

No. The above is still SUBST in disguise.

JOIN would be:

net share test=g:\
net use c:\test \\computer name\test

Then you could use the g: drive by name C:\test,
but NT4 (or NT5) do not allow it. Would be very useful.
I would be happier with just C: drive letter and have
my network connections to be subdirectories in C: drive.
BTW this feature is available in "other" OS's.

DFS was supposed to do something like this in server
level (symbolic links) but it was too unstable last time
I tried it and there seem to have been nothing done
with it lately. Propably it has been dropped?

Kari Kamunen

arm...@welshhome.org

Apr 8, 2014, 7:55:44 PM4/8/14
On Wednesday, January 20, 1999 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, 141...@ wrote:
> DFS was supposed to do something like this in server
> level (symbolic links) but it was too unstable last time
> I tried it and there seem to have been nothing done
> with it lately. Propably it has been dropped?

As long as you are referring to Windows 7 or above you can use a Symbolic Link for the directory.

MKLINK /D c:\test G: