How to make Volumn Set disk work

已查看 4 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

Aynang Yang

未读,
1996年10月9日 03:00:001996/10/9
收件人

Cheer,

My booting disk (C drive in this case) is too crowded so I like to use
Volumn
Set to link it to another spared partition (in another disk) to give it
more room, but
somehow no matter what I tried the Partition/Create Volumn Set option is
not available.

Was I missing something? Or does that really work? Is there a
pre-condition
that I must meet first? I tried all different file formats (raw, FAT, NTFS)
on the second
partition, just couldn't make the option enabled.

I am using NT server 3.51.

Thanks.

Aynang
ayn...@fishbone.mt.att.com

David C. Miller

未读,
1996年10月11日 03:00:001996/10/11
收件人

You can not extend the boot or system volumes as part of a volume set. Here
are a couple of thoughts that may or may not help:
1. Convert C: to NTFS unless you need access to this drive from other OSs.
2. If NTFS compress files on the drive except for system files.
3. Reinstall the applications on C: to another drive
4. Backup data and repartition the drive.
Just my .02 worth.
| David C. Miller - KB7ZJY - Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer |
| My Home Page http://www.wolfenet.com/~davidmi |
| The opinions expressed in this message are my own personal views |
| and do not reflect the official views of Microsoft Corporation |

Aynang Yang <ayn...@fishbone.mt.att.com> wrote in article
<01bbb5ec$00920720$6c1e1587@walleye>...

Jose Nicdao

未读,
1996年10月13日 03:00:001996/10/13
收件人

Both disks must be "deleted" first. I suppose you can't extend an
existing partition while there are "things" on it.
--
Jojo Nicdao
mailto:nic...@sinica.edu.tw

LEIBO

未读,
1996年10月13日 03:00:001996/10/13
收件人

You probably have to highlight the partition you
want to add, but I think you can only create/add
EMPTY partitions to a volume set.....

Ian V. Quickmire

nic...@gate.sinica.edu.tw (Jose Nicdao) wrote:

>Both disks must be "deleted" first. I suppose you can't extend an
>existing partition while there are "things" on it.
>--

I'm not sure that is correct. I thought you could "add on" to an existing
partition without deleting. Then again, when I made my volumes, there were
empty ...

Problems could be:

1 - Can't make a volume set of boot partition?
2 - Has to be NTFS

These are guesses ...

All typos Copyright 1960-1996 Ian V. Quickmire

ia...@sonetis.com WWW: http://www.sonetis.com/~ianq/

LEIBO

未读,
1996年10月14日 03:00:001996/10/14
收件人

You can add to an existing volume set, but the
NEW partition must be empty - you can't add
on a partition with data.

Chris Kulpa

未读,
1996年10月17日 03:00:001996/10/17
收件人 Aynang Yang

Aynang Yang wrote:

> Cheer,
>
> My booting disk (C drive in this case) is too crowded so I like to use
> Volumn
> Set to link it to another spared partition (in another disk) to give it
> more room, but
> somehow no matter what I tried the Partition/Create Volumn Set option is
> not available.

Why not just add a second drive?? Inconvenient?
Just curious.
Life is too short to be bitter, () Division of Engineering Computing
but we should not be so sweet as )( Services -DECS
to promote self-decay. () PC Lab Support for College of
Me )( Engineering
() Email ku...@egr.msu.edu or
This one's tricky. You have to use )( ku...@pilot.msu.edu
imaginary numbers like eleventeen... () Phone: 517-3538892 or 432-0380
-Calvin and Hobbes )(

LEIBO

未读,
1996年10月18日 03:00:001996/10/18
收件人

I think a drive must be empty to create/add to a volume
set - your C drive already has data.

David C. Miller

未读,
1996年10月22日 03:00:001996/10/22
收件人

You can extend an existing partition with unused space from the same or
another drive. The problem is that the boot and system partitions can not
be part of a volume set (or a stripe set for that matter). I expect this is
the problem.

| David C. Miller - KB7ZJY - Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer |
| My Home Page http://www.wolfenet.com/~davidmi |
| The opinions expressed in this message are my own personal views |
| and do not reflect the official views of Microsoft Corporation |

LEIBO <le...@aol.com> wrote in article
<53t89u$8...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>...

LEIBO

未读,
1996年10月23日 03:00:001996/10/23
收件人

You can EXTEND the Volume Set with an unused paritition,
but I think the original problem was CREATING the VS -
the original component partition(s) must also be empty,
I think. If they are not, then the CREATE VOLUME SET option
is grayed out.

durgin

未读,
1996年10月29日 03:00:001996/10/29
收件人 David C. Miller

Now I'm confused. It was my impression that it was possible to mirror
the boot and system partitions. This is real important to me because
I'm just about to set up my P-6 with a third HDD, and fault tolerance is
a big issue for me.

What I have is a Dell XPS200n (Intel 82440fx) 128MB, with onboard 4
channel EIDE. I've got (2) 2.5GB WDC drives and a new 3.0 coming in
soon (like today, I hope!). I was considering a mirror of the two
little drives with MS-DOS 6.22 (for emergency utility fixes only; no
applications), NTW3.51 (legacy support), NTW 4.0 (current advice), and
NTS 4.0 (main O/S & user environment). Possibly all in individual
mirrored partitions so if one O/S configuration croaks I don't lose the
system.

And then doing a parity stripe set for a web-data repository across all
three disks. Applications I may or not bother to automatically mirror;
mostly I just need O/S stuff like IIS to stay alive. And that would all
be in the boot partition.

Everything to be in NTFS except the boot partition, on which general
opinion seems to be to keep it FAT for disaster recovery.

Note: I'm going a bit overboard on the fault tolerance because all my
other machines are too old to deal with an NT backup and I can't afford
another server just yet. I'm using the third HDD as an alternative to a
Zip or Jaz. (what would I do with it if my system croaks, anyway?) So
I really can't have the disks going out to lunch.

PS - I waded through all the microsoft.public and comp.os.ms-windows.nt
stuff either on-line or archived in deja news, as well starting to
digest Knowledge Base (apparently it broke yesterday and is still
down?). And I read Helen Custer's little book on NTFS. But now
confused.....

Any insights or pointers appreciated. TIA

David C. Miller

未读,
1996年10月30日 03:00:001996/10/30
收件人

It is possible to *Mirror* the boot and system partitions. They just cannot
be part of a volume set (using several partitions to create a single drive
volume) or a stripe set (several same size partitions on separate disks).
To create your mirror in disk administrator select the system partition and
a same size partition on another disk and select create mirror. Should be
no problem.

durgin <dur...@durgin.net> wrote in article <327663...@durgin.net>...

> David C. Miller wrote:
> >
> > You can extend an existing partition with unused space from the same or

<Stuff trimmed to conserve space>

> Now I'm confused. It was my impression that it was possible to mirror
> the boot and system partitions. This is real important to me because
> I'm just about to set up my P-6 with a third HDD, and fault tolerance is
> a big issue for me.

<System config stuff trimmed>

kimj...@gmail.com

未读,
2012年10月15日 05:31:382012/10/15
收件人
You can not extend system disk by using the space of another disk. You could clone your system disk to another larger disk and then replace the old system disk, Currently AOMEI Partition Assistant could directly migrate your OS to another disk and make it bootale, you can see more on this tutorial: http://www.extend-partition.com/help/migrate-system-wizard.html
0 个新帖子