Shared dial up ISP

KH

Mar 26, 2005, 8:53:39 PM3/26/05
I want to set up a wireless network between two laptops and share the
Internet connection. I have an old laptop with W98 which will probably
be my print server. I would buy a wireless card for this computer. The
new laptop has WinXP and integrated wireless. I plan to buy a wireless
router for this project.

1. If this can be done I would guess that it is a multi-step procedure
involving setting ip and gateway addresses. It is not clear to me how
you can dial up through a router unless the router has that capability
built in. Is there a good source for this information?

2. What equipment would you suggest and source would suggest.

Thanks,

Karl

DLink Guru

Mar 27, 2005, 12:52:38 AM3/27/05
There are many ways to do this, and Im going to assume that since they are
laptops you have, you want to keep them mobile, so I will suggest wireless
networking.

Wireless networking is divided into two types, AD-HOC and Infrastructure.
AD-HOC is connecting 2 computers together without a AP or Router as an
intermediate. AD-HOC is also the less stable and less manufacturer supported
method, so let me suggest you use a router for your network connection, that
will also make it very easy for you to add DSL/Cable in the future if you
desire. There are other advantages of using a router over AD-HOC as most
routers will support DHCP, not making it important for you to know how to go
and manually setup your IP address information on each computer. Then you
can use Internet Connection Sharing, if using Windows XP, or a Internet
Sharing Server Proxy, such as WinGate (Search the Web) to share your
internet connection.

So with that said, the equipment I am suggesting you purchase is a wireless
router and two client PCMCIA cards for your laptops.

Now you have to decide on what protocol you wish to use. 802.11b (11MBs),
802.11g (54MBs) or 802.11g with various turbo modes (Up to 108MBs).

I would suggest looking at the various manufacturer web sites to find the
models you want. Here are some links to look at.
http://www.dlink.com/
http://www.linksys.com/
http://www.netgear.com/
http://www.buffalotech.com/products/wireless.php
http://www.zyxel.com/product/category.php?indexFlagvalue=1021876859

Robert....

"KH" <11s...@delete.verizon.net> wrote in message

KH

Mar 28, 2005, 3:49:43 PM3/28/05
Thanks Robert. I expected something like that. It is not clear,
however the dial up function is supported. Is that something supported
internally by the router? When I am sitting at my laptop after I have
the laptops wirelessly networked and I want to connect to my dial up
ISP, do I just click on the dial up icon on my desktop and the rest
happens automagically? This would usually be done from WinXP.

Thanks,

Karl