wireless file sharing via Netgear WGR614

Mark Klebanoff

Apr 9, 2005, 7:18:05 PM4/9/05
I've just set up a network of 2 computers-- one runs OS/2 (no
comments, please) and the other is a laptop with XP. They're
networked with a Netgear WGR614 (v5) wireless router. Both computers
can access the internet and they can ping each other.

The computers are set to share files via NETBIOS (again, no comments).
The weird part is that when the laptop is hooked up via a wired port,
the computers share files with no problem. However, I can't get them
to share when the laptop is hooked up wirelessly. The XP computer can
see the OS/2 computer, but it can't access any of the volume letters
(it can't even see them). The OS/2 computer can't see the XP computer
at all. I have 128 bit wep enabled. Actually, disabling WEP entirely
doesn't fix the problem. Since the computers behave fine when using a
wired hookup, I think the configuration problem is either with the
router or the wireless setting of the XP computer. I did confirm that
Netbeui is bound to both the wired and wireless adapters.

Phil M.

Apr 9, 2005, 7:44:58 PM4/9/05
Mark Klebanoff wrote:

> I've just set up a network of 2 computers-- one runs OS/2 (no
> comments, please)

[...]

> The computers are set to share files via NETBIOS (again, no comments).

[...}

Then I can't help you.

--
Phil M.

Jim Berwick

Apr 9, 2005, 8:06:01 PM4/9/05
"Mark Klebanoff" <maxi...@spamless.os2bbs.com> wrote in news:nze6zYQT7gHB-
pn2-wxEdYjw23dSM@localhost:

> wired hookup, I think the configuration problem is either with the
> router or the wireless setting of the XP computer. I did confirm that
> Netbeui is bound to both the wired and wireless adapters.

Is there a firewall protecting your wireless connection that isn't
protecting the wired connection?

Mark Klebanoff

Apr 9, 2005, 8:47:01 PM4/9/05
Not that I can find. I have XP's firewall disabled-- I don't think
it's specific to wired or wireless. I normally use Zonealarm, but
disabling that doesn't help. Is it possible that I have XP's firewall
enabled for wireless and not realize it?

DLink Guru

Apr 10, 2005, 12:43:43 AM4/10/05
Zonealarm and SP2 dont always play nicely. I suggest uninstalling it, not
just disabling it, and try getting your connection up, then installing it
again if you want it.

Robert....

"Mark Klebanoff" <maxi...@spamless.os2bbs.com> wrote in message

Mark Klebanoff

Apr 10, 2005, 5:21:19 AM4/10/05
I'm not sure this bit of information matters, but in another place I
also had this setup working with the identical computers,OSes and
settings using a Linksys WRT54G wireless router. So I know the
software can handle it. That's what makes me suspect the Netgear
router

DLink Guru

Apr 10, 2005, 7:28:03 AM4/10/05
your router has nothing really to do with the sharing of files. It is
basically a switch or Hub. it will be one of your computers stopping you
from sharing files.