Shared Internet Connnection icon in Win XP Pro vanished

BlackFireNova

Mar 24, 2005, 11:11:07 PM3/24/05
I am using Windows XP Pro on a 2.8 Ghz Pentium M, 512M Ram 120GB HDD.

I finally decided I had to take the plunge and do the Windows Service
Pack 2 on my machines.

Though I can still use the shared internet connnection, the icon has
vanished from my network connections dialogs on all machines.
Similarly the systray icon which has always shown the state of the
shared internet connection has also vanished.

I used to be able to use the icon in Network Connections to trigger my
server machine to dial out. Now that the icon has vanished I cannot
"see" the shared internet connection at all, which means that to dial
out I must go physically to the server machine and dial out from that
machine.

Finally, whenever my dial up connection reboots, I find I must reboot
my system in order to cause it to "find" the shared internet connection
again, which is a real pain.

I have tried running the network setup wizard again, to no avail. It
does NOT restore the icon in the network connections dialog.

Can anyone provide detailed instructions on how to force XP to restore
this icon, and make the shared internet connection properties visible
again?

Thanks,

BlackFireNova