Sharing a drive from MS-DOS

vivekian

Mar 5, 2008, 7:20:41 PM3/5/08

I have a MS-DOS machine which needs to share a drive to Win XP
machine. After reading quite a few messages, it seems installing a
couple of files from Microsoft did the trick. But on running "net
share" i get the following error :

The SERVER service is not yet started.
Is it ok to start it ?
Service failed to initialize
Error 2114: The Server service is not started.

Is there a workaround to this.

Thanks in advance,
vivekian

David H. Lipman

Mar 5, 2008, 8:40:37 PM3/5/08
From: "vivekian" <vivek...@gmail.com>

You need to run pure DOS with a NDIS2 stack.

Please define EXACTLY how you are setup.

This should include the version of DOS, and the contents of the CONFIG.SYS, AUTOEXEC.BAT
files as well as the PROTOCOL.INI file.

--
Dave

vivekian

Mar 5, 2008, 10:57:19 PM3/5/08
On Mar 5, 5:40 pm, "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nosp...@Verizon.Net>
wrote:
> From: "vivekian" <vivekase...@gmail.com>

The details are as follows :

DOS Version : 7.10
Microsoft DOS TCP/IP Protocol Driver 1.0a
MS_DOS LAN Manager v2.1 NetBind

Contents of Configy.sys :
FILES=20
device=c:\windows\ifshlp.sys
LASTDRIVE=Z
device=c:\windows\himem.sys

Contents of autoexec.bat

@echo off

rem mode co80,50
rem mode mono

set path=%path%;c:\net;c:\bin;c:\vim

rem Load utilities.
smartdrv /X
doskey /insert
rem Setup serial.
mode com1 96,n,8,1

rem Enable networking and map drives.
call c:\net\neton.bat

4dos
net share

This is what i tried from my readings across Usenet. There seems to be
two files which are used to update TCP/IP for MS-DOS. These are
located at : ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/Clients/MSCLIENT
I executed these and they overwrote the existing client. Next there is
an update called wg1049.exe which is supposed to add share
capabilities to the net command. Hope this information helps.
Appreciate your response.

Thanks,
vivekian

James Egan

Mar 6, 2008, 4:12:20 AM3/6/08

On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 19:57:19 -0800 (PST), vivekian
<vivek...@gmail.com> wrote:

>The details are as follows :
>
>DOS Version : 7.10

That's the version of DOS that was integrated with win9x. You need to
use a pure standalone dos version ie 6.22 or earlier.

Everything else you said regarding the dos client and updated net.exe
from wg1049.exe was spot on.

A word or warning. Keep this machine well away from the Intenet. The
single character password bug which was patched in win9x was never
repaired in win3.1 or dos

Jim.

vivekian

Mar 6, 2008, 11:30:13 AM3/6/08
On Mar 6, 1:12 am, James Egan <je...@jegan.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 19:57:19 -0800 (PST), vivekian
>
> <vivekase...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >The details are as follows :
>
> >DOS Version : 7.10
>
> That's the version of DOS that was integrated with win9x. You need to
> use a pure standalone dos version ie 6.22 or earlier.
>
> Everything else you said regarding the dos client and updated net.exe
> from wg1049.exe was spot on.
>
> A word or warning. Keep this machine well away from the Intenet. The
> single character password bug which was patched in win9x was never
> repaired in win3.1 or dos
>
> Jim.

Is there any way at all to do this on the DOS version currently being
used. I don't think i can change the current setup. Yes, its away from
internet, its within an intranet.

Thanks a bunch,
vivekian

David H. Lipman

Mar 6, 2008, 4:35:07 PM3/6/08
From: "vivekian" <vivek...@gmail.com>

There is NO NDIS2 driver being loaded in CONFIG.SYS.

This needs to be loaded and bound to the NIC via c:\net\protocol.ini

Your setup is incomplete.

vivekian

Mar 6, 2008, 4:48:59 PM3/6/08
On Mar 6, 1:35 pm, "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nosp...@Verizon.Net>

Can you please guide as to how the NDIS2 driver can be loaded, and
bound to protocol.ini ? Is there a link as to where it is available ?

Thanks,
Vivek

David H. Lipman

Mar 6, 2008, 6:08:22 PM3/6/08
From: "vivekian" <vivek...@gmail.com>

| Can you please guide as to how the NDIS2 driver can be loaded, and
| bound to protocol.ini ? Is there a link as to where it is available ?
|
| Thanks,
| Vivek

What Network Interface Card (NIC) are you using ?

vivekian

Mar 6, 2008, 6:51:00 PM3/6/08
On Mar 6, 3:08 pm, "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nosp...@Verizon.Net>
wrote:
> From: "vivekian" <vivekase...@gmail.com>
>

> | Can you please guide as to how the NDIS2 driver can be loaded, and
> | bound to protocol.ini ? Is there a link as to where it is available ?
> |
> | Thanks,
> | Vivek
>
> What Network Interface Card (NIC) are you using ?

Its the Intel Fast Ethernet Controller.

David H. Lipman

Mar 6, 2008, 8:07:04 PM3/6/08
From: "vivekian" <vivek...@gmail.com>

>> What Network Interface Card (NIC) are you using ?
>>
| Its the Intel Fast Ethernet Controller.

Which one ?

Please provide the model number and as much info. as possible on this NIC.

vivekian

Mar 6, 2008, 10:46:49 PM3/6/08
On Mar 6, 5:07 pm, "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nosp...@Verizon.Net>
wrote:
> From: "vivekian" <vivekase...@gmail.com>
>

> >> What Network Interface Card (NIC) are you using ?
>
> | Its the Intel Fast Ethernet Controller.
>
> Which one ?
>
> Please provide the model number and as much info. as possible on this NIC.
>
> --

Hi Dave,

This is what i could dig up :

Device ID : 0x1229
Chip Number: 82557/8/9/0/1
Chip Description: Fast Ethernet LAN Controller
Notes: used on EtherExpress PRO/100(B) Adapter

vivekian

David H. Lipman

Mar 6, 2008, 11:19:04 PM3/6/08
From: "vivekian" <vivek...@gmail.com>

| Hi Dave,
|
| This is what i could dig up :
|
| Device ID : 0x1229
| Chip Number: 82557/8/9/0/1
| Chip Description: Fast Ethernet LAN Controller
| Notes: used on EtherExpress PRO/100(B) Adapter
|
| vivekian

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=245&OSFullName=DOS&lang=eng&strOSs=5&submit=Go%21

Choose:
Network Adapter Drivers for MS-DOS

c:\config.sys
-------------
DEVICE=c:\net\protman.dos /I:\net
DEVICE=c:\net\e100b.dos
FILES=40
LASTDRIVE=Z

c:\autoexec.bat
---------------
c:\net\netbind.com

c:\net\protocol.ini
--------------------
; Protocol.Ini section for the Intel(R) PRO/100 Network Connection
DRIVERNAME = E100B$
SPEED = 0
; 0 = Auto (default), 10 = 10Mb/s, 100 = 100Mb/s

FORCEDUPLEX = 0
; 0 = Auto (default); 1 = Half; 2 = Full
;
; SLOT = 0x38
; NODE = "00AA00123456"
; TRANSMITBUFFERS = 20 ; range 3 - 30
; RECEIVEBUFFERS = 20 ; range 3 - 30

I have no idea what's in you batch file...

c:\net\neton.bat

David H. Lipman

Mar 10, 2008, 5:48:06 PM3/10/08
From: "vivekian" <vivek...@gmail.com>

| Hi Dave,
|
| This is what i could dig up :
|
| Device ID : 0x1229
| Chip Number: 82557/8/9/0/1
| Chip Description: Fast Ethernet LAN Controller
| Notes: used on EtherExpress PRO/100(B) Adapter
|
| vivekian

Anybody home ??

vivekian

Mar 11, 2008, 2:01:32 PM3/11/08
On Mar 10, 2:48 pm, "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nosp...@Verizon.Net>
wrote:
> From: "vivekian" <vivekase...@gmail.com>
>

> | Hi Dave,
> |
> | This is what i could dig up :
> |
> | Device ID : 0x1229
> | Chip Number:  82557/8/9/0/1
> | Chip Description:  Fast Ethernet LAN Controller
> | Notes:  used on EtherExpress PRO/100(B) Adapter
> |
> | vivekian
>
> Anybody home ??
>
> --

Hi Dave,

Sorry for the delay. Got stuck in a bit of work. Will try this out
today and update you. Thanks for all the help.

thanks,
vivekian

David H. Lipman

Mar 11, 2008, 4:02:40 PM3/11/08
From: "vivekian" <vivek...@gmail.com>

| Hi Dave,
|
| Sorry for the delay. Got stuck in a bit of work. Will try this out
| today and update you. Thanks for all the help.
|
| thanks,
| vivekian

OK. Glad your back :-)

vivekian

Mar 11, 2008, 8:37:10 PM3/11/08
On Mar 6, 9:19 pm, "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nosp...@Verizon.Net>
wrote:
> From: "vivekian" <vivekase...@gmail.com>
>

> | Hi Dave,
> |
> | This is what i could dig up :
> |
> | Device ID : 0x1229
> | Chip Number: 82557/8/9/0/1
> | Chip Description: Fast Ethernet LAN Controller
> | Notes: used on EtherExpress PRO/100(B) Adapter
> |
> |vivekian
>
> http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&Prod...
>
> Choose:
> Network Adapter Drivers forMS-DOS

> c:\config.sys
> -------------
> DEVICE=c:\net\protman.dos /I:\net
> DEVICE=c:\net\e100b.dos
> FILES=40
> LASTDRIVE=Z
>
> c:\autoexec.bat
> ---------------
> c:\net\netbind.com
>
> c:\net\protocol.ini
> --------------------
> ; Protocol.Ini section for the Intel(R) PRO/100 Network Connection
> DRIVERNAME = E100B$
> SPEED = 0
> ; 0 = Auto (default), 10 = 10Mb/s, 100 = 100Mb/s
>
> FORCEDUPLEX = 0
> ; 0 = Auto (default); 1 = Half; 2 = Full
> ;
> ; SLOT = 0x38
> ; NODE = "00AA00123456"
> ; TRANSMITBUFFERS = 20 ; range 3 - 30
> ; RECEIVEBUFFERS = 20 ; range 3 - 30
>
> I have no idea what's in you batch file...
>
> c:\net\neton.bat
>
> --

Hi Dave,

After downloading the driver -- Prodos.exe from the site, tried to run
it. It gave an error -- "Can't be run in DOS mode" . Is there an
alternate to this ?
Should I try the Legacy driver on the same website ? Supposedly there
is a driver available on www.crynwr.com but its not NDIS.

Thanks a bunch,
vivekian

David H. Lipman

Mar 11, 2008, 9:38:09 PM3/11/08
From: "vivekian" <vivek...@gmail.com>

| Hi Dave,
|
| After downloading the driver -- Prodos.exe from the site, tried to run
| it. It gave an error -- "Can't be run in DOS mode" . Is there an
| alternate to this ?
| Should I try the Legacy driver on the same website ? Supposedly there
| is a driver available on www.crynwr.com but its not NDIS.
|
| Thanks a bunch,
| vivekian

You can use a Packet Driver (Crynwr) to NDIS2 shim.

Don't you have a Win32 PC capable of downloading the Prodos.exe utility and the extract the
needed files and then port the files to the DOS setup ?

vivekian

Mar 12, 2008, 3:04:03 PM3/12/08
On Mar 11, 6:38 pm, "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nosp...@Verizon.Net>
wrote:
> From: "vivekian" <vivekase...@gmail.com>
>

> | Hi Dave,
> |
> | After downloading the driver -- Prodos.exe from the site, tried to run
> | it. It gave an error -- "Can't be run in DOS mode" . Is there an
> | alternate to this ?
> | Should I try the Legacy driver on the same website ? Supposedly there
> | is a driver available onwww.crynwr.combut its not NDIS.

> | Thanks a bunch,
> | vivekian
>
> You can use a Packet Driver (Crynwr) to NDIS2 shim.
>
> Don't you have a Win32 PC capable of downloading the Prodos.exe utility and the extract the
> needed files and then port the files to the DOS setup ?
>
> --

Hi Dave,

Currently m using the Microsoft Tcp/Ip Driver 1.0. The protocol.ini
file is as shown below :

[network.setup]
version=0x3110
netcard=E100B,1,E100B,1
transport=tcpip,TCPIP
lana0=E100B,1,tcpip

[TCPIP]
NBSessions=6
SubNetMask0=255 255 255 0
IPAddress0=192 168 0 48
DisableDHCP=0
DriverName=TCPIP$
BINDINGS=E100B
LANABASE=0

[protman]
DriverName=PROTMAN$
PRIORITY=MS$NDISHLP

[E100B]
DriverName=E100B$
MAXTRANSMITS=8

---------------------------------------

autoexec.bat
-------------------

@echo off

rem mode co80,50
rem mode mono

set path=%path%;c:\net;c:\bin;c:\vim

rem Load utilities.
smartdrv /X
doskey /insert
rem Setup serial.
mode com1 96,n,8,1

rem Enable networking and map drives.
call c:\net\neton.bat

call c:\net\netbind.com

Extracted all files from Prodos. What exact changes should be to the
protocol.ini file to get the driver running ?

Thanks a bunch,
vivekian

David H. Lipman

Mar 12, 2008, 4:47:52 PM3/12/08
From: "vivekian" <vivek...@gmail.com>

The below should use E100B$ not E100B or TCP/IP won't bind to the adapter.

[network.setup]
version=0x3110
netcard=E100B$,1,E100B$,1
transport=tcpip,TCPIP
lana0=E100B$,1,tcpip

David H. Lipman

Mar 12, 2008, 5:33:10 PM3/12/08
From: "vivekian" <vivek...@gmail.com>

Please post the contents of...

c:\net\neton.bat

vivekian

Mar 12, 2008, 8:37:55 PM3/12/08
On Mar 12, 2:33 pm, "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nosp...@Verizon.Net>
wrote:
> From: "vivekian" <vivekase...@gmail.com>
>

> Please post the contents of...
>
> c:\net\neton.bat
>
> --

c:\net\net initialize
c:\net\netbind.com
c:\net\umb.com
c:\net\tcptsr.exe
c:\net\tinyrfc.exe
c:\net\nmtsr.exe
c:\net\emsbfr.exe
c:\net\net start
c:\net\sockets.exe

sergeh

Apr 13, 2008, 10:06:48 PM4/13/08

I use similar files to load DOS with net support in order to copy
images to new computers on our domain at office. When tryed to load
from the same flash drive at home my laptop (me home net is with DHCP
enabled router) hang ups when executes:

c:\net\tinyrfc.exe

Any ideas to solve the problem?

Thanks!