Getting Firefox out of full-screen

Steve Hayes

Jul 22, 2019, 12:44:58 AM7/22/19
Sorry if this is the wrong place ot ask, but I could not find a
comp.webbrowsers or alt.comp.webbrowsers group....

The menus and space for entering URLs have disappeared from Firefox.
Perhaps I pressed a wrong key somewhere -- how can I get them back?

--
Steve Hayes
http://www.khanya.org.za/stevesig.htm

Good Guy

Jul 22, 2019, 12:50:23 AM7/22/19
On 22/07/2019 05:44, Steve Hayes wrote:
Sorry if this is the wrong place ot ask, but I could not find a
comp.webbrowsers or alt.comp.webbrowsers group....

The menus and space for entering URLs have disappeared from  Firefox.
Perhaps I pressed a wrong key somewhere -- how can I get them back?

F11 key

It's a toggle key  - on/off.

--
With over 999 million devices now running Windows 10, customer satisfaction is higher than any previous version of windows.

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Jul 22, 2019, 8:03:14 AM7/22/19
In message <ekfajehj68voslu1g...@4ax.com>, Steve Hayes
<haye...@telkomsa.net> writes:
>Sorry if this is the wrong place ot ask, but I could not find a
>comp.webbrowsers or alt.comp.webbrowsers group....
>
>The menus and space for entering URLs have disappeared from Firefox.
>Perhaps I pressed a wrong key somewhere -- how can I get them back?

I think it's F11 for toggling full screen - somewhere around there,
anyway. Though in full-screen mode, I think if you also move the mouse
somewhere (near top of screen is it?) the address box/bar reappears.

That's how he [Dr. Who] seems to me. He's always been someone who gets the
/Guardian/. There are some parts of the universe where it's harder to get hold
of. - Peter Capaldi (current incumbent Doctor), RT 2016/11/26-12/2

Steve Hayes

Jul 23, 2019, 3:21:03 AM7/23/19
On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 13:02:00 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
<G6...@255soft.uk> wrote:

>In message <ekfajehj68voslu1g...@4ax.com>, Steve Hayes
><haye...@telkomsa.net> writes:
>>Sorry if this is the wrong place ot ask, but I could not find a
>>comp.webbrowsers or alt.comp.webbrowsers group....
>>
>>The menus and space for entering URLs have disappeared from Firefox.
>>Perhaps I pressed a wrong key somewhere -- how can I get them back?
>>

>I think it's F11 for toggling full screen - somewhere around there,
>anyway. Though in full-screen mode, I think if you also move the mouse
>somewhere (near top of screen is it?) the address box/bar reappears.

Thanks very much. That worked.

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Jul 23, 2019, 3:35:16 AM7/23/19
In message <3addjelrj2ln9gha7...@4ax.com>, Steve Hayes
<haye...@telkomsa.net> writes:
>On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 13:02:00 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
><G6...@255soft.uk> wrote:
>
>>In message <ekfajehj68voslu1g...@4ax.com>, Steve Hayes
>><haye...@telkomsa.net> writes:
>>>Sorry if this is the wrong place ot ask, but I could not find a
>>>comp.webbrowsers or alt.comp.webbrowsers group....
>>>
>>>The menus and space for entering URLs have disappeared from Firefox.
>>>Perhaps I pressed a wrong key somewhere -- how can I get them back?
>>>

>>I think it's F11 for toggling full screen - somewhere around there,
>>anyway. Though in full-screen mode, I think if you also move the mouse
>>somewhere (near top of screen is it?) the address box/bar reappears.
>
>Thanks very much. That worked.

You're welcome! (I just checked - it [F11 and mousing to top edge] work
even in my old Firefox 27; I have the feeling they might have been there
in all Firefox, and even perhaps back in Netscape.)

If you're worried that your house is haunted by a ghost and might need
exorcising, there's an easy way of working out if it is or it isn't: it isn't.
- Victoria Coren Mitchell, quoted in RT 2017/10/7-13

Ian Jackson

Jul 29, 2019, 4:40:02 PM7/29/19
In message <8tv$cwk$grNd...@255soft.uk>, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
<G6...@255soft.uk> writes
>In message <3addjelrj2ln9gha7...@4ax.com>, Steve Hayes
><haye...@telkomsa.net> writes:
>>On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 13:02:00 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
>><G6...@255soft.uk> wrote:

>>>I think it's F11 for toggling full screen - somewhere around there,
>>>anyway. Though in full-screen mode, I think if you also move the mouse
>>>somewhere (near top of screen is it?) the address box/bar reappears.
>>
>>Thanks very much. That worked.
>>

>You're welcome! (I just checked - it [F11 and mousing to top edge] work
>even in my old Firefox 27; I have the feeling they might have been
>there in all Firefox, and even perhaps back in Netscape.)

The F11 thing is useful to know (which I didn't). F12 also does some
interesting things.
--
Ian