Problems with Dimension 4

Brian E Clough

May 1, 2003, 8:57:34 AM5/1/03
Since I installed win2k on this system, I've used Dimension 4 to keep
the system clock synched to the real world.

A while ago, I checked and D4 hadn't updated the clock on some time.
I tried to force an update, but D4's status window just shows "Going
online..." and never changes.

I've tried all the available servers in D4's menu, same result. I've
also tried removing and re-installing D4, but that didn't help either.

It's not a network problem, because on other systems, on the same
network D4 works normally.

Does anyone have any experience with this problem?

The Worrier King

"Picachu must die, and my '82 Buick needs a jumstart.
The synergy is perfect, I'll drain the little rat
like a D-cell!"

Shaun Marolf

May 1, 2003, 9:35:26 AM5/1/03
Brian E Clough <bclough@banksofhtesusquehanna.(dot)com> wrote in

Try another NTP site. I occasionally have this problem crop up but I
usually clear it by changing from tick.usno.navy.mil to tock.usno.navy.mil
or another avaialble site.

--Shaun

Tom

May 1, 2003, 9:49:58 AM5/1/03
Shaun Marolf <shaun_...@hotmail.com> wrote in

I believe that Brian said that he had already tried all of the NTP sites
that are shown in the provided list. Since I'm having the same problem,
I would appreciate any other ideas.

--Tom

Shaun Marolf

May 1, 2003, 12:15:51 PM5/1/03
Tom <t...@nospam.please> wrote in

> I believe that Brian said that he had already tried all of the NTP
> sites that are shown in the provided list. Since I'm having the same
> problem, I would appreciate any other ideas.
>
> --Tom

You're correct Yom sorry. My brain wasn't firing on all cylinders just yet
when I first replied

Try removing it but use regcleaner before reinstalling it.

http://www.vtoy.fi/jv16/shtml/software.shtml

That will (hopefully) remove a lingering registry entry that may be
causing the problem.

I did have to do this one time but that was because I goofed not the
program. If that doesn't work I would start looking for a trojan or virus
to see if something took over the NTP port.

--Shaun

Brian E Clough

May 1, 2003, 4:59:47 PM5/1/03
Okay, now it gives me a totally different error. I now get...

Synchronized: "Never"

I've currently got IE 5.5 SP2. Is that not 100% backward comparable
with IE4?

Brian E Clough

"An object at rest cannot be stopped"
-- The Evil Midnight Bomber (what bombs at midnight)

Shaun Marolf

May 1, 2003, 6:21:34 PM5/1/03
Brian E Clough <bcl...@banksofthesusquehanna.dot.com> wrote in

> Okay, now it gives me a totally different error. I now get...
>
> Synchronized: "Never"
>
> I've currently got IE 5.5 SP2. Is that not 100% backward comparable
> with IE4?

Okay looks like your not getting out to query the NTP server. Check for the
following:

Firewalls - If you recently installed a firewall like ZoneAlarm make sure
D4 has permission to access the Internet. If you are using an IPTable like
firewall check to see that you allow access to the appropriate port for
your computer.

Trojans and Viruses - Though not to likely if you're careful on the
internet still a possibility. It's possible the port D4 uses for the
Internet has been hijacked or set open. Check to see (sorry I am not sure
what port D4 uses.)

Check winsock. Make sure it wasn't replaced with another version by another
application.

Lastly you may have a corrupted version of D4 so you may want to download
it again from another source.

D4 does not care what version of IE you use as it doesn't rely on it. It's
a seperate application in and of itself.

--Shaun

James Egan

May 2, 2003, 8:56:11 AM5/2/03
On Fri, 02 May 2003 08:09:42 -0400, nosp...@will-enterprises.com>
wrote:

>I had a similar problem with the AnalogX time sync utility, it suddenly stopped
>working on all my machines! I couldn't figure it out, so I just switched to a
>different utility and it worked fine. I'm interested in seeing what this turns
>out to be. :-)

Almost certainly a firewall issue. You weren't running zapro by any
chance?

Jim.