HELP - never-ending Windows problems

Alan Brushaber

Jun 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/18/95

Hi All --

I'm posting this for a friend who doesn't have News access at
the moment. He'd really appreciate any help or advice. His name
is Gerry Brierley, e-mail: ze...@oeonline.com TIA

His story....

I have a 486dx2-66 computer. 4 megs ram ,730 western dig. HD , VLB,
trident video board and the 'puter is setup with 32bit disk and file
access. I have had to reinstall windows for workgroups 3.11 at least
8 times since I got this machine in late Feb! It never has allowed
me to reinstall over the existing version. The first series of crashes
may be related to a HD crash I had with a Conner HD which has been
replaced with the WD drive I have now, but I still crash . Reinstalled
Windows again Friday, after getting "group file damage" messages when
I tried to reboot into Windows. No matter what I did, including deleting
the old group and recreating new groups, I still got the same message
with most of my groups going down. Finally I decided to reinstall Windows
thinking maybe a file had gotten corrupted. I could not reinstall over
existing windows, so had to install in new directory. Within 1 day after
having MS office 4.3 reinstalled, Windows would not boot up. I can now
get it to boot up, but I must keep copying a system.bak file over the
system.ini file. The system.bak file is the original .ini file loaded
with the Windows install. However I must keep doing the copy (in DOS)
over and over again!!!

I am totally stumped I feel the problem is in the 386enh section but it
is hard to be totally sure. HELP HELP I'm going crazy here. Is it
hardware or software???? Anybody had similar trouble? Hopefully with a
solution:) Thanks in advance.

gerry brierley Go Wings
ze...@oeonline.com
GO WINGS ITS CUP TIME

Donald Wildberg

Jun 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/18/95
It seems to me that you are having HD problems.
Do the same problems occur when you are working in DOS?
Are you sure that you have the correct settings for your HD in your
BIOS?

Donald Wildberg.

--
email: dow...@xs4all.nl
WWW: http://www.xs4all.nl/~dowild

Bill Becker

Jun 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/22/95
dow...@xs4all.nl (Donald Wildberg) wrote:

>It seems to me that you are having HD problems.
>Do the same problems occur when you are working in DOS?
>Are you sure that you have the correct settings for your HD in your
>BIOS?

>Donald Wildberg.

Also check to see weather you have any zero byte files that is
crrupting your fat tables.

Post to this area or
Becker@ cris.com
Danbury, Ct.
(203)744-3474

dw...@iccu6.ipswichcity.qld.gov.au

Jun 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/23/95
In article <3s26du$d...@umcc.umcc.umich.edu> a...@umcc.umcc.umich.edu (Alan Brushaber) writes:
>From: a...@umcc.umcc.umich.edu (Alan Brushaber)
>Subject: HELP - never-ending Windows problems
>Date: 18 Jun 1995 17:39:10 -0400

Does it happen when 32 bit disk access is turned off?

Lloyd Wiebe

Jun 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/24/95
Hi all, I've got a really strange one...

I'm running a 486 DX2 66 Motherboard with 8 Mg of RAM
Multi I/O with IRQ's set 4 - Asych 1
3 - Asych 2
5 - Empty
7 - Printer

Modem set to IRQ 4 - Com 3

Bus Mouse IRQ 5

SoundBlaster IRQ 7

Here's the perplexing problem... At windows boot up time I get my
background wallpaper, the hourglass mouse pointer, and then...

Occasionally I get a stacks overflow or divide by zero error which
dumps me back to dos,

When it doesn't happen I get dumped straight into Windows, with all the
bells etc...

This is not an everytime I load windows problem, it's intermittant.
Any suggestions???

Thanks in advance...

L.

Please send replies E-mail as my newsreader does not permit me to
follow threads or topics..

Thanks again.

Alexander R. Conant

Jun 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/24/95
In article <dwild.167...@iccu6.ipswichcity.qld.gov.au>,

Brushaber) writes:
>>From: a...@umcc.umcc.umich.edu (Alan Brushaber)
>>Subject: HELP - never-ending Windows problems
>>Date: 18 Jun 1995 17:39:10 -0400
>

>> I have a 486dx2-66 computer. 4 megs ram ,730 western dig. HD , VLB,
>>trident video board and the 'puter is setup with 32bit disk and file
>>access. I have had to reinstall windows for workgroups 3.11 at least
>>8 times since I got this machine in late Feb! It never has allowed
>>me to reinstall over the existing version. The first series of crashes
>>may be related to a HD crash I had with a Conner HD which has been
>>replaced with the WD drive I have now, but I still crash . Reinstalled
>>Windows again Friday, after getting "group file damage" messages when
>>I tried to reboot into Windows. No matter what I did, including deleting
>>the old group and recreating new groups, I still got the same message
>>with most of my groups going down. Finally I decided to reinstall Windows
>>thinking maybe a file had gotten corrupted. I could not reinstall over
>>existing windows, so had to install in new directory. Within 1 day after
>>having MS office 4.3 reinstalled, Windows would not boot up. I can now
>>get it to boot up, but I must keep copying a system.bak file over the
>>system.ini file. The system.bak file is the original .ini file loaded
>>with the Windows install. However I must keep doing the copy (in DOS)
>>over and over again!!!
>
>> I am totally stumped I feel the problem is in the 386enh section but it
>>is hard to be totally sure. HELP HELP I'm going crazy here. Is it
>>hardware or software???? Anybody had similar trouble? Hopefully with a
>>solution:) Thanks in advance.

Try starting Windows from the command prompt using win /d:v, which turns off
the virtual HD drivers. It worked for me. If that is OK, add
VirtualHDIRQ=OFF to System.ini

Roger

thehen...@gmail.com

Sep 25, 2016, 12:38:52 PM9/25/16
Did you guys figure it out?

On Sunday, June 18, 1995 at 1:00:00 AM UTC-6, Alan Brushaber wrote:
> Hi All --
>
> I'm posting this for a friend who doesn't have News access at
> the moment. He'd really appreciate any help or advice. His name
> is Gerry Brierley, e-mail: ze...@oeonline.com TIA
>
> His story....
>
> I have a 486dx2-66 computer. 4 megs ram ,730 western dig. HD , VLB,
> trident video board and the 'puter is setup with 32bit disk and file
> access. I have had to reinstall windows for workgroups 3.11 at least
> 8 times since I got this machine in late Feb! It never has allowed
> me to reinstall over the existing version. The first series of crashes
> may be related to a HD crash I had with a Conner HD which has been
> replaced with the WD drive I have now, but I still crash . Reinstalled
> Windows again Friday, after getting "group file damage" messages when
> I tried to reboot into Windows. No matter what I did, including deleting
> the old group and recreating new groups, I still got the same message
> with most of my groups going down. Finally I decided to reinstall Windows
> thinking maybe a file had gotten corrupted. I could not reinstall over
> existing windows, so had to install in new directory. Within 1 day after
> having MS office 4.3 reinstalled, Windows would not boot up. I can now
> get it to boot up, but I must keep copying a system.bak file over the
> system.ini file. The system.bak file is the original .ini file loaded
> with the Windows install. However I must keep doing the copy (in DOS)
> over and over again!!!
>
> I am totally stumped I feel the problem is in the 386enh section but it
> is hard to be totally sure. HELP HELP I'm going crazy here. Is it
> hardware or software???? Anybody had similar trouble? Hopefully with a
> solution:) Thanks in advance.

mac...@gmail.com

Sep 29, 2016, 5:54:43 PM9/29/16
haha tinyurl.com/meme leads to here

cole....@icsd.k12.ny.us

Mar 1, 2017, 12:49:59 PM3/1/17
this was old

james.cun...@gmail.com

Jul 8, 2017, 1:24:29 AM7/8/17
tinyurl.com/ meme

kratos...@gmail.com

Aug 3, 2017, 11:34:48 PM8/3/17
Delete system 32

8000...@fjuhsd.org

Feb 28, 2018, 10:36:04 AM2/28/18
suckmeoff

--
FULLERTON JOINT UNION HIGH SCHOOL DISTRICT E-MAIL DISCLAIMER This
communication and any documents, files, or previous e-mail messages

ballz...@gmail.com

Mar 12, 2018, 6:46:22 PM3/12/18
i got this by going to "tinyurl.com/meme"

LANDRY PEREIRA

Jan 15, 2021, 12:07:06 PM1/15/21
On Monday, March 12, 2018 at 5:46:22 PM UTC-5, ballz...@gmail.com wrote:
> i got this by going to "tinyurl.com/meme"
Sameee

EverythingRebelYT

Mar 21, 2021, 5:21:32 PM3/21/21
On Tuesday, March 13, 2018 at 12:46:22 PM UTC+14, ballz...@gmail.com wrote:
> i got this by going to "tinyurl.com/meme"
same lol

Geen idee

Jul 21, 2021, 4:08:38 AM7/21/21
On Thursday, September 29, 2016 at 11:54:43 PM UTC+2, mac...@gmail.com wrote:
> haha tinyurl.com/meme leads to here
hahaha yeah i was just looking up some tinyurls