Toughbook serial port mapping

Mike Cook

May 5, 2014, 7:22:04 PM5/5/14
Toughbook CF-31 has one serial port (DB-9) and two USB ports. How can I know
which com port the RS232 port is mapped to?

This is running XP SP2.

Thanks.

Les Cargill

May 5, 2014, 9:24:28 PM5/5/14
There will be a description in Device Mangler. If nothing else,
use PuTTY and a paper clip and short 2&3 together on each
port until you see loopback.

--
Les Cargill

VanguardLH

May 5, 2014, 10:56:33 PM5/5/14
See:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/devmgr_changing_port_settings.mspx?mfr=true

You posted to:
alt.comp.microsoft.windows
alt.windows
comp.os.ms-windows.misc
comp.windows.misc

You are using Windows XP. The Windows XP newsgroups are over at:
microsoft.public.windowsxp.*

Deanna Earley

May 6, 2014, 4:16:32 AM5/6/14
On 06/05/2014 00:22, Mike Cook wrote:
> Toughbook CF-31 has one serial port (DB-9) and two USB ports. How can I know
> which com port the RS232 port is mapped to?

Unless you have a USB to serial port device connected to one of the USB
ports, it will be the only COM port, most likely COM1.

USB ports are not usable, or even comparable to COM ports directly.
For COM over USB, you will need a converter which appears as an extra
device.

--
Deanna Earley (dee.e...@icode.co.uk)
iCatcher Development Team

iCode Systems

(Replies direct to my email address will be printed, shredded then fed
to the rats. Please reply to the group.)

Mike Cook

May 6, 2014, 1:03:59 PM5/6/14
> Unless you have a USB to serial port device connected to one of the USB
> ports, it will be the only COM port, most likely COM1.
>
> USB ports are not usable, or even comparable to COM ports directly.
> For COM over USB, you will need a converter which appears as an extra
> device.

I want to use the RS232 port not the USB's. So COM1 it looks like?

Thanks.

kellyd...@gmail.com

Jul 12, 2019, 3:46:32 PM7/12/19
Eat ShitEat ShEaEat Shitt Shitit