Newbie Post - CE 6

MartyP

Apr 26, 2011, 1:28:45 PM4/26/11
I am a programmer by trade so I was intrigued when I saw these little
CE mini-laptops out of China. I was looking for a replacement for my
old Palm IIIC so I bought one of these. I did not expect much so I am
not disappointed. All that I wanted to do was to be able to keep my
lengthy list of user names and passwords in an encrypted file and I
already found an app to do that.
But, now I want to see what I can do with this thing. Can anyone give
me some direction? I have several questions.
CE seems very old so are there any good/current forums left?
Are there any good newbie/hints pages?
Where is a good place to start with CE? what kinds of apps/tools/
utilities do most people use?
Are there any good Word/Excel compatible apps (freeware if possible)?
Is there any way to *expand* the RAM memory onto the CF card? Or, does
it do it automatically?
Is the internal mem-chip replaceable with a larger module? I have
128Mb.

I really enjoy this little thing. It packs a lot of punch for $85.
USB2, 2Gb + more with CF, wireless, internet, sound ports. I think
that the screen is easy to read too.

I hope to become a CF convert. Any help is appreciated. Feel free to
refer me to an existing, older thread if you are tired of answering
these questions.
Thanks,
Marty

r_z_...@pen_fact.com

Apr 27, 2011, 2:07:38 PM4/27/11
Windows CE is never available as a retail, stand-alone product, and
neither are applications. Microsoft defined several "platforms" (their
term) built on Windows CE:
Pocket PC
Smartphone
Windows Mobile
Microsoft's terminology is confusing. Here's a rather concise summary:
http://www.pocketpcfaq.com/wce/versions.htm

Here's a link to some info for developers:
http://www.pocketpcfaq.com/developer/dev.htm

If you give us more info about your device, someone might be able to
help more.

No one, other than folks who work for Microsoft and some OEMs
(Original Equipment Manufacturers) can write applications for Windows
CE itself. Rather, we get an SDK (Software Development Kit) for each
platform (see above) and build for these platforms. Some of us can get
applications written for one platform to run on other platforms. It's
not very hard for similar platforms (e.g. Pocket PCs). But it is very
hard to cover multiple platforms (e.g. Pocket PCs and Smartphones).

I infer from your description that you have a device with a special
version of Windows CE. If so, you will have a much easier time writing
for it if you can get an SDK from the device manufacturer. My hunch is
that won't be easy. If you're willing and able to use C/C++ you
_might_ have some luck using eVC 4 and the "standard" SDK (but see
note below); the advantage of this approach is that the tools are free
(go to www.microsoft.com and search for evc 4).

I don't develop with .NET, so I can't be so helpful as I would like.
I'm quite sure you'll need to use Visual Studio 2005 or Visual Studio
2008, and pretty sure you can't use any of the free editions (I
_think_ "edition" is the right term). This might help:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsmobile/

NOTE:
The "standard" SDK is usually a waste of time. Platforms based on
Windows CE vary widely, and no "standard" platform really exists. The
"standard" SDK thus supports no real device. But it might be better
than nothing and thus worth trying with a device that has no other
available SDK.

Robert E. Zaret
PenFact, Inc.
20 Park Plaza, Suite 400
Boston, MA 02116
www.penfact.com
Useful reading (be sure to read its disclaimer first):

r_z_...@pen_fact.com

Apr 28, 2011, 1:20:30 PM4/28/11
If your device really is running a custom version of Windows CE, then
odds are you can't find any exta apps to run on it.

If you tell us the make and model of the device, someone might be able
to help more. Given that the device is "out of China", you should
probably let us know what human language it supports: Chinese,
English, ...

On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 10:28:45 -0700 (PDT), MartyP