slooow copy

Jean Cote

Jan 21, 2003, 7:57:24 AM1/21/03
I all,

I have a dual boot on my home computer. Redhat 8.0 and Windows 98.
Most of the time I use linux but some time I need windows to connect
to the internet via netzero.

I had to transfert a big chunk of data (50G) from my master hard
disk to my slave disk. I was in windows and it took 13 hours (using
drag and drop)!!! I could believe my eyes. Once the transfert was
finish I reboot in linux to compare the speed.
[using: tar cf - /c/mystuff | (cd /d; tar xf -)]
It took only 36 minutes to do the copy!!!

I've try to look at my windows configuration but haven't found what
was slowing down the copy. (Not too familiar with windows config)

Any one add similar experience? (I'm just trying to understand what
happend, I don't use windows that much anyway)

bye

jean

Mike Walsh

Jan 21, 2003, 10:22:05 AM1/21/03

The drives might be running in DOS compatibility mode or DMA is not working in windows.

--
Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

bta...@ccsf.edu

Jan 21, 2003, 11:57:43 AM1/21/03

If your tar has a -z (compression) option, you can spend more time at the
beach. :)

Jean Cote

Jan 23, 2003, 7:50:02 AM1/23/03
I've look for the DMA thing and that was it!
Instead of 13h hours, it only takes 58 minutes for the 50G transfert!!!

Thanks for the info!

regards,

Jean

Mike Walsh

Jan 23, 2003, 12:59:44 PM1/23/03

You are welcome. At 13 hours it looked like you were running in PIO mode instead of DMA.