AHH!! How to get FULL download

1 view

Ron Jackson

Apr 24, 2002, 12:41:04 PM4/24/02

AHHHH! Microsoft exercise their control freakish ways to idiot proof things to the degree that something simple is made extremely difficult.

This has happened to me several times with them and yet again last night. All I want to do is download the binaries of one or two IE versions where I have access to broadband, burn a CD and install one of them on a computer that does NOT have broadband. Hence, saving myself 2.5 hours on a dial-up modem at a friends house?

But, as usual...

- You HAVE to be on a wintel box to run the setup to initiate the download.
- Their setup will NOT allow you to download a different OS version of IE to your machine.
- Their setup will NOT allow you to download an older version of IE to your machine even if it is the same OS.
- Their setup program exits if IE is up to date on that machine.
- Their setup will ONLY download the files it needs for that machine.
- Their setup version won't even allow you to do a "full download" on W2K machines do to W2K features.

Is it possible to JUST get a FULL download from microsoft without them assuming I don't know what I'm doing?

I can NEVER find JUST the FULL binaries to download anywhere on their sites. Once I managed to find a third party site that gave you these; but, that's gone now.

Thanks,
Ron

Donny Broome

Apr 24, 2002, 1:02:11 PM4/24/02
Many of your statements below are simply not true. A few of them have merit.

Please review the page below for more information.

http://www.broomeman.com/support/wsiedown.html

--
__________________________________
Donny Broome

"Ron Jackson" <r...@fast.net> wrote in message

Frank

Apr 24, 2002, 1:19:53 PM4/24/02
BRAVO!
well done, donny!!

"Donny Broome" <do...@broomeman.com> wrote in message

DCA

Apr 24, 2002, 1:40:54 PM4/24/02
Does this also include all the critical updates?

Ron Jackson

Apr 24, 2002, 1:54:25 PM4/24/02

Donny Broome wrote:
> Many of your statements below are simply not true.

Thanks... I'll try this next time.

You will experience each one of those points by running their standard setup. I did. I saw nothing regarding any command line switches anywhere or I would have used them. :-) I did find many other people who have been frustrated by the exact same issue. You're the *only* person I've heard from who *knows* how to do this. I even had the MS admin people scratching their heads... So, it can't be all that readily apparent.

Is this applicable to IE5.5 as well?

Thanks again for the link.

Ron

Donny Broome

Apr 24, 2002, 1:51:21 PM4/24/02
No.

-Donny

"DCA" <no...@nowhere.com> wrote in message

Ron Jackson

Apr 24, 2002, 2:32:08 PM4/24/02

Ron Jackson wrote:

> Is this applicable to IE5.5 as well?

Nevermind, I see on your link to the microsoft page that it does.

Thanks again, Ron

Sandi - Microsoft MVP

Apr 24, 2002, 10:53:22 PM4/24/02
<do...@broomeman.com> Sandi says.....

Donny,

Can you let me know if your URL changes please? I often recommend your page
as an excellent step-by-step pictoral explanation of Q257249 and its also
featured at http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers4.htm#download_only

Please do not send an email unless asked to do so.
Sandi Hardmeier
Microsoft MVP (Internet Explorer and Outlook Express)
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer

MVP Award Recipients
http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp/mvpaward.asp

> Many of your statements below are simply not true. A few of them have
> merit.
>
> Please review the page below for more information.
>
> http://www.broomeman.com/support/wsiedown.html

Donny Broome

Apr 24, 2002, 11:37:17 PM4/24/02
Sandi,

Thanks for the link. I'll keep you posted of any changes. I've added a link
to your page under the More Info section of my page.

Donny

"Sandi - Microsoft MVP" <sandi_h...@mvps.org> wrote in message

Steve Yates

Apr 25, 2002, 7:56:58 PM4/25/02
"Donny Broome" <do...@broomeman.com> wrote in message
> http://www.broomeman.com/support/wsiedown.html

I don't suppose you have a way to convince IEAK to download all the
files? It thinks it does, but there is no option to include NetMeeting, VM,
etc. Later Setup on the workstation tries to download the missing files if
required (once they're there Setup will use them for subsequent PCs).

- Steve Yates
- Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their
shoes.

/ Taglines by Taglinator - www.srtware.com /

PubPost

Apr 27, 2002, 3:05:26 PM4/27/02
Ron Jackson <r...@fast.net> wrote in message news:<3CC6E020...@fast.net>...
> AHHHH! Microsoft exercise their control freakish ways to idiot proof things
>to the degree that something simple is made extremely difficult.

Yup. They enjoy it. It's how they exert their control over you.

(For example, did you know there isn't one single site that actually
has a list of all the patches, security fixes, updates and bug fixes
for Windows and its bundled apps? You gotta go to several different
places, each of which claims to be complete but isn't.)

Just go over to:

http://helpdesk.uvic.ca/how-to/support/win95/msiexpl.html

And download an archive with the full version.

(That page is for W95, but actually it appears that all the versions
(W95, W98, Wme, W2k) all point to this page.)

> Is it possible to JUST get a FULL download from microsoft without them assuming I don't know what I'm doing?

Not from Microsoft.

Remember their motto... "Where do we want you to go, today?"

Microsoft is afraid that if they make their site useful and helpful
and complete people will realise just how buggy and poor their stuff
is, and that the universe will explode.