Need help with list of News readers and news providers

usenet1@os2voice.orgusenet1@os2voice.org

Mar 23, 2006, 10:43:22 PM3/23/06
I was asked to help create a list of Usenet news reader applications
and news service providers for the Big-8 web site.
http://www.big-8.org

For news reader applications I need the name of the application, a
download URL, a support site (news group, web forum,mailing list),
platforms supported and a brief description of the application ("text
only news reader", "graphical mail and news client", etc ). Since
this is for the Big-8 groups I don't think we need any binary-only
readers unless someone can convince me otherwise. Please check the
current list before replying
http://www.big-8.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=faqs:news_readers

For news service providers I am only interested in entities that
provide standalone news group services, that is, not all ISPs but
services like individual.net, Supernews and Giganews that provide news
subscription services. If an ISP offers a separate news subscription
that doesn't require an internet or mail account with them, that would
be OK. If its specific to a region, language or country that is fine
also, but please note that. Also please give a link for the service
and a brief description if you can(pointing out things like "web-only
access"; "free service", "Italian subscribers only", etc). A small
current list can be viewed at
http://www.big-8.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=faqs:news_providers

Please send the information to use...@os2voice.org

If you know of a better place to request this information, or a web
site that lists this information please let me know.

Thanks for your help.

Mark

--
From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

http://www.os2voice.org
Warpstock 2006, Windsor, Ontario, Canada, Oct 12-15, 2006 -
http://www.warpstock.org

sara lootman

Mar 23, 2006, 10:52:43 PM3/23/06
<use...@os2voice.orgusenet1@os2voice.org> wrote in message

> I was asked to help create a list of Usenet news reader applications
> and news service providers for the Big-8 web site.

You're very much in the wrong newsgroup(s).

Richard Steiner

Mar 24, 2006, 1:32:14 AM3/24/06
Here in comp.os.os2.mail-news,
"sara lootman" <sloo...@jn631c.invalid> spake unto us, saying:

Since you didn't bother to indicate which group you're replying from in
your attribution line, it's rather difficult to tell whether or not your
criticism is valid. You might want to fix that in future postings.

The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

Message has been deleted

Frank Slootweg

Mar 24, 2006, 9:06:05 AM3/24/06
use...@os2voice.orgusenet1@os2voice.org wrote:
> I was asked to help create a list of Usenet news reader applications
> and news service providers for the Big-8 web site.
> http://www.big-8.org
>
> For news reader applications I need the name of the application, a
> download URL, a support site (news group, web forum,mailing list),
> platforms supported and a brief description of the application ("text
> only news reader", "graphical mail and news client", etc ). Since
> this is for the Big-8 groups I don't think we need any binary-only
> readers unless someone can convince me otherwise. Please check the
> current list before replying
> http://www.big-8.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=faqs:news_readers

A lot of this information is on *the* newsreaders site, NewsReaders
(<http://www.newsreaders.com>). If you want to use that information, you
will of course need their permission. OTOH, why not just post a pointer
to that site? I.e. why re-invent the wheel.

BTW, why didn't you post this to news.software.readers, *the*
newsreaders Newsgroup? I would imagine that the Big-8 people are aware
of the important groups in the news.* hierarchy, are they not? I did not
crosspost this response to nsr.

[ISP part deleted]

> Please send the information to use...@os2voice.org

Sorry, asked on Usenet, answered on Usenet (unless there is a valid
reason not to).

Mark Dodel

Mar 24, 2006, 11:39:14 AM3/24/06
On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 14:06:05 UTC, Frank Slootweg
<th...@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:

-> use...@os2voice.orgusenet1@os2voice.org wrote:
-> > I was asked to help create a list of Usenet news reader applications
-> > and news service providers for the Big-8 web site.
-> > http://www.big-8.org
-> >
-> > For news reader applications I need the name of the application, a
-> > download URL, a support site (news group, web forum,mailing list),
-> > platforms supported and a brief description of the application ("text
-> > only news reader", "graphical mail and news client", etc ). Since
-> > this is for the Big-8 groups I don't think we need any binary-only
-> > readers unless someone can convince me otherwise. Please check the
-> > current list before replying
-> > http://www.big-8.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=faqs:news_readers
->
-> A lot of this information is on *the* newsreaders site, NewsReaders
-> (<http://www.newsreaders.com>). If you want to use that information, you
-> will of course need their permission. OTOH, why not just post a pointer
-> to that site? I.e. why re-invent the wheel.

I've already been there and I will add a link on the Big-8 newsreader
page for it for people that need more details. We are just providing a
list of newsreaders people can look into.

->
-> BTW, why didn't you post this to news.software.readers, *the*
-> newsreaders Newsgroup? I would imagine that the Big-8 people are aware
-> of the important groups in the news.* hierarchy, are they not? I did not
-> crosspost this response to nsr.
->

I'm just starting to gather information for the project and I didn't
know about it. Now that I do I will post there. I'm personally
mostly familiar with the comp.* groups so that is where I began.

-> [ISP part deleted]
->
-> > Please send the information to use...@os2voice.org
->
-> Sorry, asked on Usenet, answered on Usenet (unless there is a valid
-> reason not to).

Not a problem for me. However some people read Usenet on archive
sites or have readonly access so providing a response address makes
sense.

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

Mar 24, 2006, 3:10:42 PM3/24/06
In <cLdq6jdb1N4Q-pn2-ZE5HxVrgsCPc@localhost>, on 03/23/2006

at 09:43 PM, use...@os2voice.orgusenet1@os2voice.org said:

>I was asked to help create a list of Usenet news reader applications
>and news service providers for the Big-8 web site.
>http://www.big-8.org

I'd think that news.software.misc or news.software.readers would be
better for that question. IAC, the reader that I am using, MR/2 ICE,
is available for OS/2 and Windoze. You should be able to find the
relevant information at www.mr2ice.com.

reply to spam...@library.lspace.org

Richard Steiner

Mar 25, 2006, 11:27:29 PM3/25/06
Here in comp.os.os2.mail-news,
Warren Oates <warren...@gmail.com> spake unto us, saying:

>In article <uJ5IEpHp...@visi.com>,

> rste...@visi.com (Richard Steiner) wrote:
>
>> Since you didn't bother to indicate which group you're replying from in
>> your attribution line, it's rather difficult to tell whether or not your
>> criticism is valid. You might want to fix that in future postings.
>

>I'll get right on that, Rich.

Hey, I'm just saying that Sara's complaint would carry a lot more
weight if she would reveal to us what her complaint is/was actually
about. Which group (if any) was inappropriate? And why?

As originally posted, her complaint was almost content-free, and it
also performed an obnoxious follow-up redirect away from groups like
this one (see my attrib line) where it was precisely on-topic.

>Thanks for the help. Now I have 13 steps to follow.

Good luck on your lengthy journey. The rest of us just have our news
reading software automagically insert the appropriate information...