Directory Freedom (by Gordon Haff)

Phillip Mann

Dec 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/18/96

PC Computing says DF is a good Win95 program but I can't get it to
open Window programs.

How would I set up dfconfig to have it open LviewPro to view gif
files?

Phil
Phillip Mann's Banjo Tablature
and Bluegrass Information Site
http://www.bluegrassbanjo.com
http://192.41.28.84/bluegrass

Sam French

Dec 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/18/96

> PC Computing says DF is a good Win95 program but I can't get it to
> open Window programs. How would I set up dfconfig to have it open
LviewPro
> to view gif > files?

___________________________

You must be mistaken. Either that, or PC Magazine isn't writing about
IBM-based PC's anymore. Directory Freedom is a flawless piece of work
which doesn't get enough praise and isn't updated often enough. Gordon
Half should be offered a high-paying job at Microsoft to write add-on code
for their *next* operating system -- if he hasn't already. What directory
freedom did to DOS, a choir does to Beethoven's 9th Symphony. It's just
not the same without it.

What it would do for Windows (particularly Win95) would be what a choir
would do to Beethoven's 5th Symphony --- gasp! There's a reason you can't
get it to open any Windows programs -- it won't. Stop trying. Really.

If you want to look at .GIF files using Directory Freedom, you're going to
have to use CSHOW, VPIC or some other DOS-based program that's saavy to a
variety of formats. I like CSHOW, so the instructions below are written on
that basis. Substitute your own pathnames and viewer utility accordingly.

From a DOS prompt, in the directory that Directory Freedom (DF.COM) resides
in:
- type DFCONFIG
- select COMMANDS
- select VIEWERS
- for your primary viewer, type "list.com ~" (make sure you have list.com
in the same
directory as DF.COM. It should be by default, since it ships with DF.)
- for your secondary viewer, type "c:\utils\viewers\cshow.exe ~"
- exit out to the top of DFCONFIG and save the changes (Ctrl+Enter saves
the changes
on the page of DFCONFIG that you're currently on, but you want to be sure
and select
"Exit and Save Changes" when you get back to the top menu.)

Directory Freedom is a wonderful program to use when in a DOS client
window, or when running in DOS mode. Even though LFN's get truncated to
the display, you won't find a better file management utility to work with
all the hidden files and directories that Win95 is so fond of creating.