Quicken Enhancement/Bug List

Andy DeFaria

Jul 11, 1994, 8:03:32 PM7/11/94
I have been trying to maintain a list of Enhancements and/or Bugs in Quicken
so as to write them a letter. Here is my list. Feel free to comment on it and
try to get your favorite enhancement on there. I will rework the list and
repost. After a while I will write (fax? Anybody know Intuit's Fax #?) them
and maybe we can get them to fix these bugs and enhance their product. I will
also mention the traffic here and see if they could get some engineers to
post/respond to us.

Here it is:

Changing a the amount of a transfer item from my itemized paycheck to a 401K
investment account with a single mutual fund changes the cleared flag of all
transfers to all of my 401K transfers.
Paging down on the split transaction window incorrectly marks the transaction
as modified.
Having many transfers from a spilt causes Quicken to take a long time to post
the transaction. While doing the the mouse cursor flicker from busy to normal
cursor.
OKing an investment form cause much flicking between the various fields in the
form.
Would like to have control over the ordering of transactions that have the
same date. How about some drag and drop functionality?
Make "Transfer Account Required" a warning for those times when you no longer
have the original transfer account because you have deleted it.
Calendar should remember the settings like "Plan", "List", "Dates" and "Save"
from the last time Quicken was run.
It has been mentioned that Quicken should eliminate zero-balance accounts.
This is very true for mutual funds. If have cleared out one account and still
maintain a zero balance in all my reports etc. Although I enter all
transactions properly, a decimal error along the way keeps the fund from
closing.
Better interaction with other Windows programs. ie OLE support. I'd like to
make better use of graphs, report and data in other Win apps.
How about a feature that lets families of accounts (e.g. mutual funds) be
combined into an equivalent super-account that can be viewed as one. Not only
for RECON purposes but portfilio and reports etc would be easier. Similary
loans could be grouped, retirement plans could be grouped etc.
: I had heard that Intuit and VISA are working on a standardized interface
: for Quicken that could be used by any VISA affiliated bank and give the Bank
: the option of providing all of the services of Checkfree plus access to
: your perssonal accounts as well. If this is true, what'll bet that there is
: a dramatic improvement in customer service at CheckFree in the near future?
: Remember AT&T?
:
Michael...
That is good news. While I don't have any problem with CheckFree
(yet), I would love to have access to my accounts on-line. I guess it is
getting pretty bad when the touch-tone phone seems like an inconvenient
way to do your banking, but I would sure prefer to use my computer.
Gotta go....
- better integration between some of the basic features and the
investment account features, e.g.
- calendar would be great to keep track of dividends due,
bond coupons due, T-Bills maturing. (In fact, I bought
v3 for this purpose, only to find that the calendar does
not support investment transactions)
- reports that intelligently span the two types of accounts,
so that you can show the total of Cash (e.g. bank accounts),
and cash / near cash investments in brokerage and other investment
accounts.
My $.02. I would like to be able to print the financial calendar.
I now use Quicken 2 for Windows and enter stock prices about once a week.
However, when I go to plot the price history, the plot only shows one price
per month regardless of how many entries I made that month. Quicken 6 for DOS
displays every stock price I enter. Does anyone know if the new Quicken for
Windows will display each stock price entry? This is the only thing holding
me back from buying Quicken 3.
Note that if you schedule a memorized transaction with the Calendar
and later edit the memorized transaction, the scheduled one does not
change.. I consider this a bug.

|Andrew DeFaria (def...@cup.hp.com) |
|Hewlett Packard, California Language Lab |
|phone: (408)-447-5741 |
|WWW: http://hpcll50.cup.hp.com/Cobol/personae/andy.html|
|_______________________________________________________|

Randy Harris

Jul 12, 1994, 8:08:05 AM7/12/94
: It has been mentioned that Quicken should eliminate zero-balance accounts.

: This is very true for mutual funds. If have cleared out one account and still
: maintain a zero balance in all my reports etc. Although I enter all
: transactions properly, a decimal error along the way keeps the fund from
: closing.

I would like to be able to turn off the display, anyway. If Quicken
needs to keep the account for reporting purposes, that is fine, but I
really don't want to have the icon staring me in the face forever....

: _______________________________________________________________________________

: How about a feature that lets families of accounts (e.g. mutual funds) be
: combined into an equivalent super-account that can be viewed as one. Not only
: for RECON purposes but portfilio and reports etc would be easier. Similary
: loans could be grouped, retirement plans could be grouped etc.

This would be a VERY helpful feature. I hope they will strongly
consider this one....
: _______________________________________________________________________________

: : I had heard that Intuit and VISA are working on a standardized interface
: : for Quicken that could be used by any VISA affiliated bank and give the Bank
: : the option of providing all of the services of Checkfree plus access to
: : your perssonal accounts as well. If this is true, what'll bet that there is
: : a dramatic improvement in customer service at CheckFree in the near future?
: : Remember AT&T?

I, too, have had no problems with CheckFree (as of yet), but would also
love to be able to access my account on-line. Sounds like something that
would go over BIG!
I would also like to be able to print the financial calendar, and would
also like to be able to schedule a transaction, then have it either
default to or ask if this should be scheduled for a weekday only. For
example, I scheduled my CheckFree deduction for the 1st, but it can hit
on Saturday or Sunday and will actually not leave the account until
Monday. Not a huge problem, but one that I would like to see handled.
The same goes for my paycheck...I get paid on the the 10th and 25th, but
if one of these hits on the weekend I get paid the Friday before.
It would also be nice to be able to save the way the Portfolio View
window comes up, or at least have it default to All Accounts. It would
make updating prices much easier. I called Intuit once, and they were
able to walk me through a rather cumbersome process to do this, but I
since changed accounts and there is no way that I can remember how to
change it again.
It would also be nice if you could export price history when you export
account information on investments. When I changed banks after moving
and changing jobs, I finally figured out how to export my investment
accounts (my problem, not theirs :-)), but performance reports are
worthless since the price hisory didn't follow. I am working on
replacing it through other means, but it seems like there should be a
mechanism in place for doing this...
Thanx for compiling the list, and I will try to think of more desired
enhancements. You might make one more *last chance* post before you
forward things, just to prompt everyone for the cut-off, if you have
time. Later....
--
ran...@netcom.com

Frank Jaffe

Jul 12, 1994, 10:16:29 AM7/12/94
Andy DeFaria (def...@cup.hp.com) wrote:
: I have been trying to maintain a list of Enhancements and/or Bugs in Quicken

: so as to write them a letter. Here is my list. Feel free to comment on it and
: try to get your favorite enhancement on there. I will rework the list and

Here's a few of mine:

On the account setup, allow the definition of number of decimal points and the
rounding behavior desired. This will eliminate/reduce the requirement for
manual adjustment of transactions and amounts. Most mutual funds, for instance
deal in amounts in whole cents, and shares to three decimal places.

Adding a field for account ownership, allowing for easier grouping in reports
and portfolio views, etc.

Eliminating the restriction on account size (now 64k of data).

Allowing the specification of tax free income accounts, with distinctions
between federal, state, and total tax free investments. This could also be
done on the basis of security.

Adding categories for tax free income to the REINVDIV, etc. list for investment
accounts.

Automating the flow of data between active and inactive accounts/files, so that
individual users don't have to manually fiddle with file organization.

Adding "zero suppress" to the account list, in addition to the security list.

Integrating tax planning and projections which include "pending" scheduled
transactions (Remember, they did buy Chipsoft).

Providing a report which indicates which categories are not being used, and
allowing easier deletion of those categories.

Providing a category merge option, or alternatively, allowing find/replace
on the category fields.

Integrating the calendar with budgets and investment accounts.

Allowing "back scheduling" of transactions in a batch, rather than
individually.

Allowing transactions in a cash account to be "reconciled", or failing that,
allow the "new year" function to automatically clear "un-reconciled"
cash transactions.

That's it for now, but I'm sure I'll think of more....
--
Frank Jaffe
Ph: (617)-434-1838

Michael Bryan

Jul 15, 1994, 6:59:20 AM7/15/94
In article <fjaffeCs...@netcom.com>,

Frank Jaffe <fja...@netcom.com> wrote:

>Providing a category merge option, or alternatively, allowing find/replace
>on the category fields.

Quicken already provides a way to merge categories, although it's
not exactly what I'd call intuitive. :-) The procedure is described
in the user's manual, but it goes something like this:

Given two categories, A and B, and you want to merge category B
into category A:

First rename category B so that it is a subcategory of A.

Then delete (?) category B, using the option to merge
subcategories with the main category.

Or something vaguely like that. It's in the manual, but my copy is
at home with my system...

--
____ Children of a future age ____
\ / Reading this indignant page \ /

James Moore

Jul 18, 1994, 12:09:26 PM7/18/94
I'd like to see tracking of stock option grants, including vesting
periods.

--
James Moore /|\ ja...@wrs.com
Wind River Systems \|/ Alameda, California

Frank Jaffe

Jul 19, 1994, 8:02:28 AM7/19/94
Andy DeFaria (def...@cup.hp.com) wrote:
: I have been trying to maintain a list of Enhancements and/or Bugs in Quicken

: so as to write them a letter. Here is my list. Feel free to comment on it and

Andy, a few more:

I'd like the +/- keys to work based on the unit of the security, not
always in 1/8 increments. For mutual funds, it would be .01 cent, for
some stocks, it might be 1/32 increments.

I'd also like to be able to drag & drop in the tax report. Specifically,
if I move a transaction from one category to another, on the screen,
then I'd like the record for that transaction to be updated so that it
would end up on the tax return form in the right place.

I'd like substantial improvements in the integration with taxes. In
particular, since Chipsoft is owned by Intuit, I'd at least like to be
able to flow the tax data from Quicken to the EXACT point on the
turbotax worksheet.

In imports and exports, especially tax reports, I'd like the ability
to be notified of "probable" duplicate records and given a choice as to
how to handle each record.

I'd like an option on credit card accounts, to reflect the fact that I
pay the account from checking, then after payment reconcile the account.
Right now, it appears that the design ASSUMES that I reconcile the
credit card account, then make the payment. Maybe I should do it that way,
but I want the software to work for me, not make me do thing's it's way.

Auto-reconciliation would be nice. If I enter a closing balance, and all
the entered deposits/withdrawals would cause the system to reconcile, then
I'd like one button (boy am I lazy) which would "mark" everything at once.

A low cost check writing option, not just Checkfree. $9.95/month or more is
obscene! Intuit, or someone, should be able to integrate this into the
system for less than the price of postage. I wouldn't mind a flat monthly
minimum of say $2.50, with a per item charge of $.20 - $.25.

A Quicken Lite program, one which costs about $10, and just does a small
number of checking/savings/credit card accounts, plus budgets. This would
help out some of the other poster's in the group.

The ability to maintain the quickfill transaction list, to delete trans-
actions from the list. My list has gotten quite long, and many of the
items are single payments. At a minimum, a per account method of setting
the time limit for items to remain on the quickfill list.

Designations for state and federal tax status, separately. This would let
items be marked accurately for tax status. Included in state, multiple
states, with the two letter code for which state applies, or perhaps the
percentage per state of tax free. This would greatly improve the integration
at tax time. For example, in Mass, accounts in a Mass bank are taxed by
the state at 5.95% on intereste. If I have an account in Maine, or in a
mutual fund, then it is taxed at 12%. I'd like to be able to account for
this so that at tax time it all flows to the right places on the fed/state
forms. It would also be handy for accurately estimating taxes. In the case
of a mutual fund, some percent of Dividend Income is state tax free, and
some percent is federal tax free. On an annual basis, it would be great to
just enter the percent into Quicken and let the correct amounts flow to the
tax return (in the right places).

I've also been thinking about the multiple file/closed account items which
have been discussed. If people are actually using Quicken as a "system of
record", then Quicken needs to be improved to handle that application.
Specifically, it means that the files should be able to grow to unlimited
size, that an appropriate method of removing old data must be provided, one
which keeps intact ALL FLOWS of data in and out of those accounts, etc.
This whole area needs big time improvements in Quicken.

I'll probably think of more later.....

Ross Mohn

Jul 19, 1994, 4:46:32 PM7/19/94
I think this was mentioned, but I'd like to expand on it ...

Customized grouping of accounts. For example: I need to see a report
which details my assets by safety money (cash & cashlike), short-term
investments (saving for downpayment), retirement investments (IRAs), and
long-term investments (speculative). The reason I can't do this now is
because I can't include my checking account in an investment class.

And if you want to make me really happy, you'll let me assign say 25% of
MutualFundA to long-term foriegn investment and 75% to long-term US, or
stuff like that. Then I can track my diversity even better.

I also desperately need accurate, easy to use investment analysis tools
in Quicken. (Like accurate ROI!!)

--
Ross Palmer Mohn ||| Email: rpm...@panix.com
31 The Crescent, Apt #31 ||| Voice: 201.744.8659

David A. Witt

Jul 19, 1994, 6:08:06 PM7/19/94
Whatever happened to the +/- keys on reports to get rid of lines that are not wanted (like in the DOS version, but not the Windows version).

"Swallow your pride occasionally, it's non-fattening" -- unknown
David A. Witt | Computer Science Graduate Student
U.S. Geological Survey | University of Missouri-Rolla
Software Engineering Section | Rolla, MO 65401
e-mail: dw...@mcdgs01.cr.usgs.gov | e-mail: dw...@cs.umr.edu
HEY! Use the Web!! http://mcmcweb.cr.usgs.gov/~dwitt
I == ME != USGS

Jayachandran N. Variyam

Jul 21, 1994, 8:49:19 AM7/21/94
-- How about adding a verification for date and time when 'restoring' a file?
Presently, Quicken (3.0) asks only 'overwrite the current file?' and doesn't
offer protection against accidental overwriting of a newer file with an older
one (not that this has happened to me :-)).

-- An option to hide closed (bank) accounts, like the 'open/always/never' in
the securities list.

-- I am not sure about this, but I think page numbers are not visible when
viewing a report such a cash flow statement. This makes it difficult to
print a specific page. The page numbers are visible if the whole report
is printed out.

Jay.
Launchpad is an experimental internet BBS. The views of its users do not
necessarily represent those of UNC-Chapel Hill, OIT, or the SysOps.

Jim Lear

Jul 21, 1994, 12:34:48 PM7/21/94
If these haven't been mentioned yet...

* Sometimes when printing reports without cents, asterisks appear
where numbers should be. Looks like an overflow in the field
width.
* The dates over the columns for cash flow reports (I believe)
should be months, not months/days.
* Data should be exportable to Excel in a cleaner manner. Tab
separated text works (on a lot of stuff) but require a lot of
cleaning up.
* A one to one relationship should exist with reports and graphs.
There are many graphs in which the actual values can not be
printed.
* On pie graphs, actual values in addition to percentages.
* Compress an entire year's cash flow onto a 1 page wide report.
An old program I had used 1 page to print the totals for twelve
months (no subtotaling of sub-categories). It's nice to see
everything on one page.
* Create a "delta" report that shows *only* the difference between
actual and budget and fit it into a page.
* Automatically default to sorting by date when printing reports.
* When printing Scheduled transactions, sort by the next payment
date.

There are several more that I can't remember now.

Jim
--
~~~ Hofstadter's law: it always takes longer than you expect, even when you
b.d take into account Hofstadter's law. -- Douglas Hofstadter

Mike McDermott

Jul 21, 1994, 1:25:34 PM7/21/94

Sometimes I notice several transactions are happing for a certain category and
decide to split the whole group off into a new category. I wold like to
recategorize several transactions at one time.

I would like to be able to cut and paste from the calculator in quicken 3 like I
could in quicken 2.

I found a bug in the budget. I budgeted so much a month for home improvements.
The category got made negative. (home deprovements) I finally fooled around with
it and got it reasonable, but the first month is still negative. The data changes
when saving.

the names to the right of the new calander should be memorized transactions and
not all the transactions. That makes it too clutered.

I pay credit cards off each month. I shouldn't have to enter the amount of
purchases twice. (once for new number of purchaces, and once for amount to pay)

Some different parts of the program support quick fill and other's do not. Why?

Why can't custom graphs be saved like custom reports?

--
Mike McDermott c22...@kopt0020.delcoelect.com
(Hey, I'm just this guy, you know?)

Max H. Sherman

Jul 21, 1994, 4:04:41 PM7/21/94
How about sub-accounts to allow grouping like things
--
blort

Brad Bishop

Jul 22, 1994, 11:22:42 AM7/22/94
How about including REAL *PAPER* MANUALS in the CD ROM 'DELUXE' EDITION?

(it really ticked me off that I spent more money for the ease of use of CDROM
and got less (although the manuals are online, I haven't been successful at
reading online manuals on the toilet or in bed, maybe Im just odd that way.)

Brad

Bill Pritchard

Jul 22, 1994, 4:23:31 PM7/22/94
Andy DeFaria (def...@cup.hp.com) wrote:
: I have been trying to maintain a list of Enhancements and/or Bugs in Quicken

Andy, thanks for taking the lead on this. Here are some more, a couple
are repeats, but most are new:

In the Portfolio View, there are fewer decimal places for the number of shares
(or the price) than in my Schwab One account: the roundoff causes
inaccuracies. It needs more, or a user's choice.

The Savings Goal account is a great idea! This gets CLOSE to what a non-
profit organization needs to manage special funds. Where businesses have
a yearly budget, non-profits have a yearly budget AND funds that can last
past one year (e.g., building funds). The problem is that the Savings
Goal Account is tied to a single bank account. Non Profit Orgs will
have several accounts holding the liquid assets and the fund money is
not specifically tied to any one of these. A solution would open the
market into these groups.

When a loan is created, fill in the budget for the asset tranfers (not
just for the interest payments as is done now). The information is there
and we shouldn't have to manually type in each month from an amortization
table.

Make it easier to dynamically link data so we can create our own reports
with a spreadsheet. The standard reports are nice, but limited.

Don't disable (ghost) the PRINT button for seemingly random reasons.
Anything that is on the screen should be printable.

Bill Pritchard Internet: bi...@hplsla.lsid.HP.COM
Hewlett Packard Company Phone: 206-335-2567
Lake Stevens Instrument Division FAX: 206-335-2828

James A. Nugent

Jul 22, 1994, 4:18:29 PM7/22/94
In article <CtCLD...@austin.ibm.com> bbi...@austin.ibm.com (Brad
Bishop) writes:

Is there anything else (besides online manuals) in the CDROM
edition that's not in the regular edition?

BTW I agree completely about paper manuals, and I read them in
the places you mention.
--
Jim Nugent

nu...@ct.med.ge.com

nug...@ct.med.ge.com

Margaret Wilson

Jul 22, 1994, 9:47:48 PM7/22/94
In article <CtCzB...@hpcvsnz.cv.hp.com>, bi...@lsid.hp.com (Bill
Pritchard) says:

>Andy DeFaria (def...@cup.hp.com) wrote:
>: I have been trying to maintain a list of Enhancements and/or Bugs in
Quicken

>Andy, thanks for taking the lead on this. Here are some more, a couple
>are repeats, but most are new:

Yes, thanks everyone for posting almost all the enhancements I need.
Here's another one: For recurring transactions, it would be wonderful
to have an every-other-month option -- semi-monthly is it called? I
have the same transaction every other month and either have to remember
to execute it (by making a note on the calendar), or else I make it a
monthly transaction and then have to figure out which month to delete.
This is a real pain.

/Margaret

Aaron Schindler

Jul 23, 1994, 12:50:15 PM7/23/94
mewi...@msu.edu (Margaret Wilson) writes:

>Here's another one: For recurring transactions, it would be wonderful
>to have an every-other-month option -- semi-monthly is it called? I
>have the same transaction every other month and either have to remember
>to execute it (by making a note on the calendar), or else I make it a
>monthly transaction and then have to figure out which month to delete.
>This is a real pain.

One possibility you might consider is entering 3 semi-annual recurring
transactions spaced 2 months apart. (I believe there are semi-annual
transactions, otherwise you might have to enter 6 annual transactions.)

This is a bit of a cludge, but it works!

Aaron Schindler
aa...@ttmc.com

Charles [Ned] Bush

Jul 24, 1994, 1:49:40 AM7/24/94
(my apologies if this one already suggested, I missed the start of this
thread)

It would be nice if the billminder message box included a button to
start Quicken.

--
Ned Bush, Plantation FL (ned...@gate.net)
"Just when you're doing what you want to do, what you want to do changes."

Don Hyde

Jul 24, 1994, 12:51:04 PM7/24/94

This might seem like a weenie problem and to tell you the truth
it is of really minor inconvenience but it bugs me (pardon the
pun) that it was not thought about before the release of Quicken
3.0 for Windows.

I have just started using Quicken and find it truly remarkable. I
got my checkbook balanced on the first try without having to do
all the addition and subtraction. This alone was worth the price
of addmission. I love this program. I think it will get my
finances that were so out of order 3 months ago right back into
ship shape.

Problem:

I assigned a button on my button bar to back up my QDATA
information. I do this two times after every change to the data
on two different disks. THe trouble is that the automatic back-up
reminder still appears when I exit Quicken to remind me that the
data has not been backed up recently when I have just done the
button bar backup two times! I have noticed that if I use the
menu bar backup it doesn't do it, only if I use the button I
created on my button bar. Anyone else experience this??

Is there a FAQ or a list of common problems with this program
that someone has compiled that is for general viewing? ANy files
that clearify the manual? By the way, the manual was really well
structured IMO.

-Don Hyde

Michael Flaster

Jul 25, 1994, 12:43:37 PM7/25/94
In article g...@panix2.panix.com, rpm...@panix.com (Ross Mohn) writes:

> Customized grouping of accounts. For example: I need to see a report
> which details my assets by safety money (cash & cashlike), short-term
> investments (saving for downpayment), retirement investments (IRAs), and
> long-term investments (speculative). The reason I can't do this now is
> because I can't include my checking account in an investment class.

Yeah, this would make me very happy. What seemed logical to me is
that when you double click on net worth, and you get that pie chart,
instead of necessarily breaking it down by individual securities, it
should let you group by investment goals. That might be easier than
changing the investment graphs to include cash, although the latter
is probably a better idea...

Mike

Mike McDermott

Jul 25, 1994, 11:43:44 AM7/25/94

How about more information in the billminder. Some items are more important than
others. Sometimes it isn't even obvious what the transaction is that needs to be
entered. I think the billminder ought to tell you what the transaction is. Simply
money does and also asks you if you want to start the program.

Also, why not have a variable legnth of when you want the billminder to bug you?
I need to send some bills ahead of time but I'm stuck with the same legnth of
time for recording my paycheck which isn't so critical to get done on time.

Peter Notess

Jul 25, 1994, 3:12:39 PM7/25/94
Bill Pritchard (bi...@lsid.hp.com) wrote:

> The Savings Goal account is a great idea! This gets CLOSE to what a non-
> profit organization needs to manage special funds. Where businesses have
> a yearly budget, non-profits have a yearly budget AND funds that can last
> past one year (e.g., building funds). The problem is that the Savings
> Goal Account is tied to a single bank account. Non Profit Orgs will
> have several accounts holding the liquid assets and the fund money is
> not specifically tied to any one of these. A solution would open the
> market into these groups.

This has been one of my biggest gripes with Quicken (which I otherwise like
very much). Not only is this needed for non-profit organizations, but it
is also needed for the way I like to manage my personal finances. In order
to do this now, I have to export some reports to a spreadsheet monthy so
that the spreadsheet can keep track of my fund balances (which may be
spread across several bank accounts). Now, if Quicken could also do this,
things would be wonderful.

Another feature I would like to see is the ability to tell Quicken when a
fiscal year starts. The current assumption is that it always starts
January first. If it starts February first, you are out of luck on
printing some quarterly reports.

Peter Notess
p...@fc.hp.com
(303)229-3459

Andy DeFaria

Jul 25, 1994, 7:13:53 PM7/25/94
Mike McDermott (c22...@kopt0020.delcoelect.com) wrote:

>Sometimes I notice several transactions are happing for a certain category and
>decide to split the whole group off into a new category. I wold like to
>recategorize several transactions at one time.

I don't understand what you are asking for here or how you would expect
Quicken to help you. In general I'm asking for a report writing language and a
data file maintainance language which might solve your problem.

>I found a bug in the budget. I budgeted so much a month for home
>improvements. The category got made negative. (home deprovements) I finally
>fooled around with it and got it reasonable, but the first month is still
>negative. The data changes when saving.

Again I don't understand you here. You budgeted some money under a category
for home improvements. OK. "The category got made negative"? How so?

>the names to the right of the new calander should be memorized transactions and
>not all the transactions. That makes it too clutered.

Turn off Quickfill and you should only have memorized transactions - no? Turn
it back on if you want to use Quickfill again.

>I pay credit cards off each month. I shouldn't have to enter the amount of
>purchases twice. (once for new number of purchaces, and once for amount to pay)

Again I don't understand what you are asking for here. You mean that new
purchases field when you reconcile your credit card? I've never used that
field. Can't really figure out what that field is for anyways. I always enter
my credit card transactions so there is no new purchases to enter. How are you
entering the number twice.

>Some different parts of the program support quick fill and other's do not. Why?

Be more specific. Which parts of the program don't support Quickfill?

Andy DeFaria

Jul 25, 1994, 7:14:30 PM7/25/94
Max H. Sherman (env...@epb10.lbl.gov) wrote:
>How about sub-accounts to allow grouping like things

Is there something wrong with the concept of subcategories and classes?

Andy DeFaria

Jul 25, 1994, 7:15:23 PM7/25/94

Why don't you simply print the portion of the manual from the CDROM to your
printer that you think you will be able to consume in the Reading Room... er
toilet?

Andy DeFaria

Jul 25, 1994, 7:20:01 PM7/25/94
Bill Pritchard (bi...@lsid.hp.com) wrote:

>The Savings Goal account is a great idea! This gets CLOSE to what a non-
>profit organization needs to manage special funds. Where businesses have
>a yearly budget, non-profits have a yearly budget AND funds that can last
>past one year (e.g., building funds). The problem is that the Savings
>Goal Account is tied to a single bank account. Non Profit Orgs will
>have several accounts holding the liquid assets and the fund money is
>not specifically tied to any one of these. A solution would open the
>market into these groups.

Are you sure that a Savings Goal Account is "tied" to a single bank account? I
did not know of that restriction.

>Make it easier to dynamically link data so we can create our own reports
>with a spreadsheet. The standard reports are nice, but limited.

How so? I'm not familar with the dynamic link stuff. How would you make it
easier, etc?

>Don't disable (ghost) the PRINT button for seemingly random reasons.
>Anything that is on the screen should be printable.

Be more specific. I can understand when printing doesn't seem to make sense.
State what you want to print that Quicken won't let you.

Andy DeFaria

Jul 25, 1994, 7:27:16 PM7/25/94
Don Hyde (dh...@netserv.unmc.edu) wrote:

>I assigned a button on my button bar to back up my QDATA information. I do
>this two times after every change to the data on two different disks. THe
>trouble is that the automatic back-up reminder still appears when I exit
>Quicken to remind me that the data has not been backed up recently when I
>have just done the button bar backup two times! I have noticed that if I use
>the menu bar backup it doesn't do it, only if I use the button I created on
>my button bar. Anyone else experience this??

If you faithfully back up your data you can turn off the auto backup stuff
from Quicken. I believe it's in your quicken.ini file as AutoBackup/AutoCopy
or some such.

Andy DeFaria

Jul 25, 1994, 7:31:51 PM7/25/94
Mike McDermott (c22...@kopt0020.delcoelect.com) wrote:

>How about more information in the billminder. Some items are more important
>than others. Sometimes it isn't even obvious what the transaction is that
>needs to be entered. I think the billminder ought to tell you what the
>transaction is. Simply money does and also asks you if you want to start the
>program.

In general, I'm asking for a more useful reminder system so you can set up
reminders (such as the old investment reminders), transactions, reports, etc
and have it nag you at any interval of your choosing with whatever message you
want, etc.

>Also, why not have a variable legnth of when you want the billminder to bug
>you? I need to send some bills ahead of time but I'm stuck with the same
>legnth of time for recording my paycheck which isn't so critical to get done
>on time.

FYI: If you use the Quicken Calendar you can schedule transactions that have
different number of days before it nags you. Also, you can not have it nag you
and have it enter the transaction when it's due. For example, my paycheck is
direct deposit and happens on certain days. Therefore I tell Quicken to enter
it without prompting me since it is merely reflecting what automatically
happens in the Real World(tm). Other transactions I have it enter the check
and then let the "You have checks to print" message nag me to print and send
out such payments. Still others I have Quicken prompt me before entering the
transaction.

Andy DeFaria

Jul 25, 1994, 7:34:36 PM7/25/94
Peter Notess (p...@fc.hp.com) wrote:
>This has been one of my biggest gripes with Quicken (which I otherwise like
>very much). Not only is this needed for non-profit organizations, but it
>is also needed for the way I like to manage my personal finances. In order
>to do this now, I have to export some reports to a spreadsheet monthy so
>that the spreadsheet can keep track of my fund balances (which may be
>spread across several bank accounts). Now, if Quicken could also do this,
>things would be wonderful.

>Another feature I would like to see is the ability to tell Quicken when a
>fiscal year starts. The current assumption is that it always starts
>January first. If it starts February first, you are out of luck on
>printing some quarterly reports.

Again this is confusing to me. It seems as if you guys are using Quicken for
some small business. I thought that Intuit had other products for that stuff.

Bill Pritchard

Jul 25, 1994, 8:00:07 PM7/25/94
Don Hyde (dh...@netserv.unmc.edu) wrote:
: ... THe trouble is that the automatic back-up

: reminder still appears when I exit Quicken to remind me that the
: data has not been backed up recently when I have just done the
: button bar backup two times! ...

Yes, it's a bit frustrating when you just backed up your data manually,
then exit the program and it asks you again. I've had same problem.

Some more for the list (of varying priority)...
Entry field rules should be standardized. For example, the date field in
a check register accepts a leading "/" to jump to the day of the month.
But in screens like "Buy Shares" or "Customize Budget" this doesn't work.

The calculator should be able to permanently store at least one number
for recall during calculations. For example, the sales tax rate would be
helpful when itemizing a receipt that is split up among several budget
categories. It would also be nice if the calculator had a full line display
that showed the entire equation, allowing parenthesis.

The Find function only works within a single account. Allow it to work
across all accounts, too.

Allow a new option for customizing Quick Fill (is this the correct term? I
mean the one that fills in the categories and amounts, as well as the payee).
Now it is all or none. Add a feature to do the quick fill selectively
by pressing a soft key or control key: i.e., have it just fill in the
payee, and fill in the rest of the fields if the designated button is
pressed. I suspect that for most people, Quick Fill is nice, but not
for all transactions. For those of us who elected to turn it off, there
are still many transactions where it would be nice to copy the entry data
from the previous transaction.

Andy DeFaria

Jul 25, 1994, 9:14:20 PM7/25/94
Bill Pritchard (bi...@lsid.hp.com) wrote:

>Allow a new option for customizing Quick Fill (is this the correct term? I
>mean the one that fills in the categories and amounts, as well as the payee).
>Now it is all or none. Add a feature to do the quick fill selectively
>by pressing a soft key or control key: i.e., have it just fill in the
>payee, and fill in the rest of the fields if the designated button is
>pressed. I suspect that for most people, Quick Fill is nice, but not
>for all transactions. For those of us who elected to turn it off, there
>are still many transactions where it would be nice to copy the entry data
>from the previous transaction.

There are two distinct features: Quick Fill and Auto Memorize. I guess you
could call Memorized Transactions a third one. As you know you can memorize a
transaction so that if it reoccurs it can be easily retrieved. Auto Memorize
just says "memorize everything" and I turn that off for fear of creating too
many memorized transactions slowing me down. OTOH, Quick Fill creates
"temporary" memorized transactions by scanning the current contents of your
registers. You can turn this off and then back on to rebuild this Quick Fill
List.

In any case, regardless of how Quicken has retrieved a transaction to help you
complete your entry you will invariably come across the following problem. Say
you have transactions that are similar in Payee fields but different
otherwise:

Supermarket $10.00 Food #1
Supermarket $5.00 Household #2
Supermarket $5.00 <Splits> #3

When you type in "Sup" Quicken attempts to help you complete your entry,
picking #1 above. At that point you have no way to "scroll" to #2 or #3. What
I'm proposing is that a key combinations such as Alt P/Alt N (previous/next;
OK so I'm and Emacs dude!:-) would scroll forward and backward through
similarly named transactions. Either that or a drop down list containing only
those similarly named transactions.

Andrew Steele

Jul 26, 1994, 3:49:57 AM7/26/94
>Andy DeFaria (def...@cup.hp.com) wrote:
>>: I have been trying to maintain a list of Enhancements and/or Bugs in
>Quicken

My wish list is to be able to do my budgeting fortnightly.

I'm paid fortnightly so I tend to think fortnightly and make regular payments
on a fortnightly basis. I find it a real pain to have to try and convert
my budget to monthly.

Just my 2 cents worth.

--
Andrew STEELE, BHP Information Technology, Newcastle, Australia
PO Box 216, Hamilton N.S.W. 2303, Ph: +61 49 40 2101, Fax: ... 2165

Ralph Becker

Jul 26, 1994, 9:03:50 AM7/26/94
In article <30pss4$u...@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> mewi...@msu.edu (Margaret Wilson) writes:

>Here's another one: For recurring transactions, it would be wonderful
>to have an every-other-month option -- semi-monthly is it called? I
>have the same transaction every other month and either have to remember
>to execute it (by making a note on the calendar), or else I make it a
>monthly transaction and then have to figure out which month to delete.

I, too, would like to see more flexibility in scheduled transactions. Someone
already mentioned the 'not on weekends' option. I'd also like to see
Holidays taken into account. My wife gets paid the 6th of each month, unless
it falls on a weekend or on a holiday; then she gets a check the last working
day. Also, I'd like an option for transactions on the "nth day" on the month.
I have one expense that comes on the first Monday of the month, unless it's a
holiday, then it's the first workday thereafter.

There is also no clean way to schedule for "twice a month". I get paid on the
1st and the 16th, and I do that by having 2 monthly transactions. If the
amounts change (happens at least twice a year), I gotta alter 2 instead of 1.

Ralph Becker
Xyplex Customer Support [Tech. Support hotline 800-435-7997]
rbe...@sup.xyplex.com or 71174...@compuserve.com

Elwood Mead

Jul 26, 1994, 9:07:54 AM7/26/94

In article <CtIr8...@cup.hp.com>, def...@cup.hp.com (Andy DeFaria) writes:
|> Max H. Sherman (env...@epb10.lbl.gov) wrote:
|> >How about sub-accounts to allow grouping like things
|>
|> Is there something wrong with the concept of subcategories and classes?
|> _______________________________________________________

Subaccounts are to accounts as subcategories are to categories. You don'y use
categories to be accounts or vice versa, so why would one want to use
subcategories when subaccounts are needed. Example: Credit card account with
the same card used by spouse, son, daughter. How would you keep track of who
used the card?

Michael Bryan

Jul 26, 1994, 5:29:20 AM7/26/94
In article <CtIr7...@cup.hp.com>, Andy DeFaria <def...@cup.hp.com> wrote:
>Mike McDermott (c22...@kopt0020.delcoelect.com) wrote:
>
>>Sometimes I notice several transactions are happing for a certain category and
>>decide to split the whole group off into a new category. I wold like to
>>recategorize several transactions at one time.
>
>I don't understand what you are asking for here or how you would expect
>Quicken to help you. In general I'm asking for a report writing language and a
>data file maintainance language which might solve your problem.

The way I interpret the original poster's statement is that he has a
category that he has been using, and then notices a certain grouping
within that category that he would like to track separately. For
instance, you might have a general category of Entertainment, then
realize that 70% of that was going to movies, so you wanted to setup a
"Movies" category. Easy enough, but then you might want to go back
and change previous entries to Movies, when appropriate. It would be
difficult to design a way for Quicken to do this automatically. (Just
how do you tell? Certain strings in the various fields, for
instance?) But it would be very helpful in this case to at least have
a "Search-and-optional-replace" command, so that you could say (in
effect):

Sequentially locate each entry with category "Entertainment", and
prompt me as to whether I want that entry changed to "Movies".

You can sort of do that with the Find option, but it can be slow and
awkward bouncing between the subwindows. There should be a more tightly
integrated way, such that you would be shown each entry in order, and
only have to select "Change" or "Leave as is" on each one.

>>I pay credit cards off each month. I shouldn't have to enter the amount of
>>purchases twice. (once for new number of purchaces, and once for amount to pay)
>
>Again I don't understand what you are asking for here. You mean that new
>purchases field when you reconcile your credit card? I've never used that
>field. Can't really figure out what that field is for anyways. I always enter
>my credit card transactions so there is no new purchases to enter. How are you
>entering the number twice.

Well, the field you're questioning is used to tell the reconcile code
what your total purchases were for the month. It should just be a
single line from your credit card statement (perhaps two, rarely
three, depending on whether or not you have purchases, cash advances
and credits, and how well your card provider summarizes things.) I
always enter it when starting a reconciliation (as well as the "total
payments" field), then when you select items in the reconcile window,
it eventually says "difference = 0.00" under the charges and payment
sides. I've never tried to just leave the field blank when reconciling,
as I always assumed it would complain because you are in effect telling
it that the card statement showed no new purchases, but then you mark
some purchases as part of the reconciliation. Perhaps it is smart enough
to say "hey, they don't wanna enter this, so assume it equals the sum
of the items they select."

As for the original problem Mike is reporting, I'm also a bit unclear. I
see the basic operations as follows, if you pay off the total amount
every month:

1) Enter purchases as they occur.
2) When statment comes in, select Reconcile.
3) Enter total purchases and total payments from the statement.
[Does it also ask for closing balance? I dont' recall.]
4) Select the items that are on your statement. The overall
difference in the lower portion of the window should reach
zero when you are done.
5) Quicken will ask if you want to write a check for the
outstanding balance. Let it do so, for the full amount.
All you have to do is accept the entry.

So I guess if you count steps 1 and 3, then yes, you do enter the amount
twice, but once is a per-purchase thing, the other is a "total-for-the-month"
thing. I personally don't see that as a big deal.

--
____ Children of a future age ____
\ / Reading this indignant page \ /
\/ Know that in a former time \/ Michael Bryan
Love, sweet love, was thought a crime mic...@resonex.com

Michael Bryan

Jul 26, 1994, 5:38:39 AM7/26/94
In article <1994Jul26.0...@sei.cmu.edu>,

Um, by using classes?

You could then run reports (summary or detailed) showing the account with
or without the classes, depending on how you wanted to view the data. It
works quite well.

Michael Bryan

Jul 26, 1994, 6:00:52 AM7/26/94
In article <CtCzB...@hpcvsnz.cv.hp.com>,

Bill Pritchard <bi...@lsid.hp.com> wrote:

>The Savings Goal account is a great idea! This gets CLOSE to what a non-
>profit organization needs to manage special funds. Where businesses have
>a yearly budget, non-profits have a yearly budget AND funds that can last
>past one year (e.g., building funds). The problem is that the Savings
>Goal Account is tied to a single bank account. Non Profit Orgs will
>have several accounts holding the liquid assets and the fund money is
>not specifically tied to any one of these. A solution would open the
>market into these groups.

A Savings Goal Account is *not* tied to a single bank account. You setup
the goal account, and then you can do transfers into and out of it from
any number of accounts. This all works just fine. (I've setup one
such account that takes regular transfers from my savings account and
my checking account. It works perfectly.)

Ric Sherlock

Jul 27, 1994, 7:41:34 PM7/27/94
In article <1994Jul26.0...@sei.cmu.edu> e...@sei.cmu.edu (Elwood Mead) writes:
>From: e...@sei.cmu.edu (Elwood Mead)
>Subject: Re: Quicken Enhancement/Bug List
>Date: Tue, 26 Jul 1994 09:07:54 EDT

>|> Is there something wrong with the concept of subcategories and classes?
>|> _______________________________________________________

>Subaccounts are to accounts as subcategories are to categories. You don'y use
>categories to be accounts or vice versa, so why would one want to use
>subcategories when subaccounts are needed. Example: Credit card account with
>the same card used by spouse, son, daughter. How would you keep track of who
>used the card?

Can't you just create the classes "spouse", "son" and "daugther" and then
select the class you want to report from the the account?

Ric

Andy DeFaria

Jul 27, 1994, 1:46:36 AM7/27/94
Michael Bryan (mic...@resonex.com) wrote:

>The way I interpret the original poster's statement is that he has a category
>that he has been using, and then notices a certain grouping within that
>category that he would like to track separately. For instance, you might
>have a general category of Entertainment, then realize that 70% of that was
>going to movies, so you wanted to setup a "Movies" category. Easy enough,
>but then you might want to go back and change previous entries to Movies,
>when appropriate. It would be difficult to design a way for Quicken to do
>this automatically. (Just how do you tell? Certain strings in the various
>fields, for instance?) But it would be very helpful in this case to at least
>have a "Search-and-optional-replace" command, so that you could say (in
>effect):

> Sequentially locate each entry with category "Entertainment", and
> prompt me as to whether I want that entry changed to "Movies".

What I envisioned was something akin to:

# operate only on the "Checking" account

accounts "Checking"

# Only in this date range

daterange 04/01/1994 to today

# Select transactions than are in the Entertainment category and have
# either Century or Universal as the first part of the payee field
select if category = "Entertainment" and
(payee = "Century*" or "Universal*")

# Change the category
set category to "Movies"

# Or...
set category to "Movies" promptfirst
# to prompt before each transaction

update transaction

Yeah more typing but much more powerfull. Hopefully you the picture.

Andy DeFaria

Jul 27, 1994, 1:51:20 AM7/27/94
Ralph Becker (rbe...@sup.xyplex.com) wrote:

>There is also no clean way to schedule for "twice a month". I get paid on the
>1st and the 16th, and I do that by having 2 monthly transactions. If the
>amounts change (happens at least twice a year), I gotta alter 2 instead of 1.

I get paid on the 6th and 21st (talk about wierd!) and I just use Half Month
or some such. Try it! It works great!

Bill Pritchard

Jul 27, 1994, 8:33:58 PM7/27/94
Andy DeFaria (def...@cup.hp.com) wrote:
: Bill Pritchard (bi...@lsid.hp.com) wrote:
: Are you sure that a Savings Goal Account is "tied" to a single bank account? I

: did not know of that restriction.
Sorry, no. I had a touch of NET-LAPSE. But the Savings Goal accounts don't
mix the monies put into it from different accounts. You can't put in
$500 from two accounts and take out a thousand by one without doing
some extra pushups. That may be ok, but I'll have to ponder this.

: >Make it easier to dynamically link data so we can create our own reports

: >with a spreadsheet. The standard reports are nice, but limited.
: How so? I'm not familar with the dynamic link stuff. How would you make it
: easier, etc?

The theory is that all the users will each have some special way to
show their own data (as has been demonstrated by many of the listings
in this thread). For example: one might dynamically link the "Actual"
and "Budget" columns from a budget report into Excel. You can then create
custom reports that will, for instance, fit on one page, where Quicken
would put it on four pages. If you could even get access to the raw
check register data more possibilities open up.

: >Don't disable (ghost) the PRINT button for seemingly random reasons.

: >Anything that is on the screen should be printable.
: Be more specific. I can understand when printing doesn't seem to make sense.
: State what you want to print that Quicken won't let you.

One great example is under the "List" menu. You can print the Security List,
the Category&Transfer List, and the Class List; but you can't print the
Account List, the Scheduled Transaction List, etc. In addition to not
being able to print the Calendar window (as has been mentioned before)
you can't print Calendar Notes, nor such screens as the Reconcile Opening
Screen or the Buy Shares screen (where one might want to document a
transaction).

Andy DeFaria

Jul 28, 1994, 2:01:34 AM7/28/94
Bill Pritchard (bi...@lsid.hp.com) wrote:
>The theory is that all the users will each have some special way to
>show their own data (as has been demonstrated by many of the listings
>in this thread). For example: one might dynamically link the "Actual"
>and "Budget" columns from a budget report into Excel. You can then create
>custom reports that will, for instance, fit on one page, where Quicken
>would put it on four pages. If you could even get access to the raw
>check register data more possibilities open up.

OK, I'll take your word for it. Now can you reword it as a request and post it
to the Quicken Bug/Enh List II thread and I'll track it from there.

>One great example is under the "List" menu. You can print the Security List,
>the Category&Transfer List, and the Class List; but you can't print the
>Account List, the Scheduled Transaction List, etc. In addition to not
>being able to print the Calendar window (as has been mentioned before)
>you can't print Calendar Notes, nor such screens as the Reconcile Opening
>Screen or the Buy Shares screen (where one might want to document a
>transaction).

OK, I'll add these. I'm thinking of wording something to the effect that every
subwindow (MDI window) should have similar functionality so that you could
print every window you see in Quicken. Also, every window should have more
consistancy in its buttons and key bindings so that, for example, escape
always does a close, control p always prints the window, etc.

As a workaround, you could do a print screen, I guess. :-(

|Andrew DeFaria (def...@cup.hp.com) |
|Hewlett Packard, California Language Lab |
|phone: (408)-447-5741 |

|WWW: http://hpcll50.cup.hp.com/andy |
|_______________________________________________________|

Quan Anh Nguyen

Jul 28, 1994, 1:46:45 PM7/28/94
Hi Andy,

How about having interest charges integrated into the credit account? Thus,
you can estimate next month's service charges (using Average Daily Balance
method or whatever) and when you are going to pay all of the balance at the
rate you're paying. Then, again, maybe I really don't want to know this:-)
This feature may bring more trouble than it's worth and I haven't really
thought out the implications so correct me if I don't know what I'm asking
for.

It also would be nice to have the credit account
separate purchases from cash advances, as most credit card companies have
different interest rates for each.

By the way, I had just purchased the program and think that it's the greatest
program I've ever bought in terms of price/features. Is there a patch that
I should know about? Thanks much.
--
*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X
Quan Nguyen eao...@rigel.oac.uci.edu

Michael Bryan

Jul 28, 1994, 10:18:24 AM7/28/94
In article <CtMK8...@hpcvsnz.cv.hp.com>,
Bill Pritchard <bi...@lsid.hp.com> wrote:

>Andy DeFaria (def...@cup.hp.com) wrote:
>: Are you sure that a Savings Goal Account is "tied" to a single bank
>: account? I did not know of that restriction.
>Sorry, no. I had a touch of NET-LAPSE. But the Savings Goal accounts don't
>mix the monies put into it from different accounts. You can't put in
>$500 from two accounts and take out a thousand by one without doing
>some extra pushups. That may be ok, but I'll have to ponder this.

Hmmm. So you want to do something like the following transfers?

Initially:
Savings ---> Goal $500
Checking ---> Goal $500
Time to spend:
Goal ---> Checking $1000
Checking ---> Spend $1000

One way to interpret this would be that you set aside $500 from each of the
two accounts, to be used at some future time. When the future time arrives,
you will actually spend $1000 of that money via the checking account? I
don't see any way to enter that as three transactions that would make sense.
By using the goal account, you are saying that the money actually exists
in the original accounts, but you want to conceptually think of part of
the money as being "pre-spent", or devoted to some future goal. Then when
the time comes to really use that money, you indicate that the goal is no
longer needed, draw it from the money from the actual accounts, and spend
it. This would be more like the following sets of transactions:

Initially:
Savings ---> Goal $500
Checking ---> Goal $500
Time to spend:
[Delete goal account, no longer need special tag of money]
Savings ---> Checking $500
Checking ---> Spend $1000

Alternately, if you want to keep the goal account around for either
history reasons, or because this was only part of a larger goal, you
could do it this way:

Initially:
Savings ---> Goal $500
Checking ---> Goal $500
Time to spend:
Goal ---> Savings $500
Goal ---> Checking $500
Savings ---> Checking $500
Checking ---> Spend $1000

Both of these ways work, and conceptually match what you are
really doing with your money. These "extra steps" are required
beyond what you seem to want, simply because Quicken has no way
of knowing what portion of the $1000 being transfered out came
from which "real" account, unless you tell it. [Actually, in
this example it could probably figure out the split, since the
outgoing exactly matched all known incoming. But what if you
only wanted to spend $700 from the goal account now, and $300
later? How would it know where the money *really* came from
(reflecting your real-world finances) unless you told it the
split?]

On the other hand, if in the real world you setup a bank account to
handle the shared funds, then you probably wouldn't want to use a goal
account to represent this, but would create a bank account to match
the real-life account, and have the following set of transactions:

Initially:
Savings ---> Shared $500
Checking ---> Shared $500
Time to spend:
Shared ---> Checking $1000
Checking ---> Spend $1000

Scott+Sharon Farquharson

Jul 29, 1994, 2:16:51 AM7/29/94
If this is already in the list then ignore it ...

I do transactions in both Canadian Dollars and US Dollars at, of course,
varying exchange rates. This is not supported very well for either checking
and credit card accounts but it is a real pain for investment accounts as:

- Transfers between CDN and US accounts cannot be done automatically. I have
to credit one account with a negative amount (say CDN $) then credit
another account (say US $) with a positive amount. Quite the hassle.
- Net worth and current investment reports, of course, are wrong as the
accounts are in different currencies

I need to tag each account as in a particular currency then transfers between
accounts would prompt for an exchange rate or something such as this.

Scott Farquharson

Andy DeFaria

Jul 28, 1994, 6:26:06 PM7/28/94
Quan Anh Nguyen (eao...@rigel.oac.uci.edu) wrote:
>How about having interest charges integrated into the credit account? Thus,
>you can estimate next month's service charges (using Average Daily Balance
>method or whatever) and when you are going to pay all of the balance at the
>rate you're paying. Then, again, maybe I really don't want to know this:-)
>This feature may bring more trouble than it's worth and I haven't really
>thought out the implications so correct me if I don't know what I'm asking
>for.

I think the problem here would be that different companies do it differently
(never really clearly understood this stuff anyways - guess I really don't
wanta either :-). I know that I can't amortize my car payment through my
credit union because my credit unions way of calculating finance charge
differs from Quickens.

Can't you use the Financial planners for this? I think you might be able to.
Since you seem to know more about this than me, could you look into it and let
me know if you can?

>It also would be nice to have the credit account
>separate purchases from cash advances, as most credit card companies have
>different interest rates for each.

OK I added this one.

>By the way, I had just purchased the program and think that it's the greatest
>program I've ever bought in terms of price/features. Is there a patch that
>I should know about? Thanks much.

The latest rev I know about is Release 7. Hold the shift key down and select
Help: About Quicken. You should get a different dialog box that has your
release number in it.
/Andrew DeFaria (def...@cup.hp.com) \

|Hewlett Packard, California Language Lab |

|Phone: (408)-447-5741 |
|WWW: http://hpcll50.cup.hp.com/andy |
\_________________________________________/

Andy DeFaria

Jul 29, 1994, 12:35:25 PM7/29/94
Scott+Sharon Farquharson (sco...@wimsey.com) wrote:
>I do transactions in both Canadian Dollars and US Dollars at, of course,
>varying exchange rates. This is not supported very well for either checking
>and credit card accounts but it is a real pain for investment accounts as:

I'm gonna put: "Support more foriegn currencies fully".
/Andrew DeFaria (def...@cup.hp.com) \

|Hewlett Packard, California Language Lab |

Frank Jaffe

Aug 1, 1994, 7:40:20 AM8/1/94
Andy DeFaria (def...@cup.hp.com) wrote:

: Scott+Sharon Farquharson (sco...@wimsey.com) wrote:
: >I do transactions in both Canadian Dollars and US Dollars at, of course,
: >varying exchange rates. This is not supported very well for either checking
: >and credit card accounts but it is a real pain for investment accounts as:

: I'm gonna put: "Support more foriegn currencies fully".

How about "support multiple currencies fully" - I don't think we care if
they come out with more native foreign currency versions...

: _________________________________________

: \_________________________________________/

--
Frank Jaffe
Ph: (617)-434-1838

Rajiev Gupta

Aug 2, 1994, 9:21:10 AM8/2/94
In article <CtCLD...@austin.ibm.com> bbi...@austin.ibm.com (Brad Bishop) writes:
>How about including REAL *PAPER* MANUALS in the CD ROM 'DELUXE' EDITION?
>
>(it really ticked me off that I spent more money for the ease of use of CDROM
>and got less (although the manuals are online, I haven't been successful at
>reading online manuals on the toilet or in bed, maybe Im just odd that way.)
>
>Brad

My sentiments exactly. Also as far as I can tell there is no
SEARCH facility in the Frame reader product. Isn't this
supposed to be one of the big advantages when using electronic
formats???

Rajiev.

--
Rajiev GUPTA Disclaimer: These are
raj...@cfmu.eurocontrol.be *my* personal views, not my employers.

Quan Anh Nguyen

Aug 2, 1994, 1:32:48 PM8/2/94
Okay, here's another little nitpicking: How about a maximize button on
graphs and financial planner (especially the one with the graph at the
bottom). I find that when I use the financial planner with the graph at
bottom, all the text in the calendar are not legible at all. If we
can maximize this screen, it would be much easier to see all the scheduled
transactions without having to double-click on the date.

Another one: How about the ability to select a bunch of transactions to
copy (like Shift and click as in Harvard Graphics or Winword 6) to the
clipboard instead of copying one transaction at a time. Exporting a range
of dated transactions does not seem too convenient to me.

Max H. Sherman

Aug 2, 1994, 7:08:43 PM8/2/94
In article <CtIr8...@cup.hp.com>, def...@cup.hp.com (Andy DeFaria) writes:
|> Max H. Sherman (env...@epb10.lbl.gov) wrote:
|> >How about sub-accounts to allow grouping like things
|>
|> Is there something wrong with the concept of subcategories and classes?
|> ______________________________________________________

The concept is for accounts not categories. For example. The way quicken is
set up you should use an individual liability account for every loan. But
a typical homeowner may have several mortgages involved with his house:
a first mortgage; a second mortgage; refincinacing etc. It would be
nice if all of these accounts could be grouped together to look at
the loan balance, history, etc.

Another example would be to have sub-accounts for individual mutual
fund investments and then a whole family grouped together into one
investment account. Not only would this make it much easier to track
performance, net worth, etc. it would make my account list a lot shorter

Sub-accounts could also upgrade the current Savings acct feature.

Max H. Sherman

Aug 2, 1994, 7:10:28 PM8/2/94
In article <CtIs1...@cup.hp.com>, def...@cup.hp.com (Andy DeFaria) writes:

|> Mike McDermott (c22...@kopt0020.delcoelect.com) wrote:
|
|> FYI: If you use the Quicken Calendar you can schedule transactions that have
|> different number of days before it nags you. Also, you can not have it nag you
|> and have it enter the transaction when it's due. For example, my paycheck is
|> direct deposit and happens on certain days. Therefore I tell Quicken to enter
|> it without prompting me since it is merely reflecting what automatically
|> happens in the Real World(tm).
Yes but you still get billminder to nag you....that should be fixed.

Max H. Sherman

Aug 2, 1994, 7:15:07 PM8/2/94
In article <1994Jul26.0...@sei.cmu.edu>, e...@sei.cmu.edu (Elwood Mead) writes:

|> Subaccounts are to accounts as subcategories are to categories. You don'y use
|> categories to be accounts or vice versa, so why would one want to use
|> subcategories when subaccounts are needed. Example: Credit card account with
|> the same card used by spouse, son, daughter. How would you keep track of who
|> used the card?

You could use classes to do this instead of sub-accounts. But if each person
had a different card and the bill came sub-totaled (as do some AmX etc
accounts) this would be a perfect use of sub-accounts.

Andy DeFaria

Aug 2, 1994, 7:02:38 PM8/2/94
Rajiev Gupta (raj...@cfmu.eurocontrol.be) wrote:
>In article <CtCLD...@austin.ibm.com> bbi...@austin.ibm.com (Brad Bishop) writes:
>>How about including REAL *PAPER* MANUALS in the CD ROM 'DELUXE' EDITION?
>>
>>(it really ticked me off that I spent more money for the ease of use of CDROM
>>and got less (although the manuals are online, I haven't been successful at
>>reading online manuals on the toilet or in bed, maybe Im just odd that way.)
>>
>>Brad
>>

>My sentiments exactly. Also as far as I can tell there is no
>SEARCH facility in the Frame reader product. Isn't this
>supposed to be one of the big advantages when using electronic
>formats???

And Frame's lack of a search facility (which, BTW, ticks me off too) has
nothing to do with Quicken enhancments really.

Besides if you want to have some paper to read - print the manual!

Andy DeFaria

Aug 2, 1994, 7:21:34 PM8/2/94
Quan Anh Nguyen (eao...@rigel.oac.uci.edu) wrote:
>Okay, here's another little nitpicking: How about a maximize button on
>graphs and financial planner (especially the one with the graph at the
>bottom).

OK.

>I find that when I use the financial planner with the graph at
>bottom, all the text in the calendar are not legible at all. If we
>can maximize this screen, it would be much easier to see all the scheduled
>transactions without having to double-click on the date.

I find that I always want to financial calendar to be big and I always want
the graph on the bottom. Unfortunately Quicken doesn't remember the setting of
the "Plan" button that says display the graph. Fortunately it does remember
the window position and size information. However A maximize button would be
useful.

Your idea sparked another enhancement in my mind. The ability to be able to
see more than 5 bar graphs in the Budget Graph and Investment Graphs.

>Another one: How about the ability to select a bunch of transactions to
>copy (like Shift and click as in Harvard Graphics or Winword 6) to the
>clipboard instead of copying one transaction at a time. Exporting a range
>of dated transactions does not seem too convenient to me.

Another good one.

Andy DeFaria

Aug 2, 1994, 10:09:46 PM8/2/94
Max H. Sherman (env...@epb10.lbl.gov) wrote:

>The concept is for accounts not categories. For example. The way quicken is
>set up you should use an individual liability account for every loan. But
>a typical homeowner may have several mortgages involved with his house:
>a first mortgage; a second mortgage; refincinacing etc. It would be
>nice if all of these accounts could be grouped together to look at
>the loan balance, history, etc.

What's so hard with simply creating reports that group your "sub-accounts"
together?

>Another example would be to have sub-accounts for individual mutual fund
>investments and then a whole family grouped together into one investment
>account. Not only would this make it much easier to track performance, net
>worth, etc. it would make my account list a lot shorter

What's so hard with tracking performance of multiple accounts? There are many
(easy) ways to do this.

Andy DeFaria

Aug 2, 1994, 10:11:43 PM8/2/94
Max H. Sherman (env...@epb10.lbl.gov) wrote:
>>For example, my paycheck is
>>direct deposit and happens on certain days. Therefore I tell Quicken to enter
>>it without prompting me since it is merely reflecting what automatically
>>happens in the Real World(tm).

>Yes but you still get billminder to nag you....that should be fixed.

Well I don't know really (because when I get paid a whole bunch of other
transactions typically happen) but I've never noticed Quicken nagging me about
a scheduled transaction that it doesn't prompt me. Is this true?

Rajiev Gupta

Aug 4, 1994, 3:36:16 AM8/4/94
In article <CtxK0...@cup.hp.com> def...@cup.hp.com (Andy DeFaria) writes:
>Rajiev Gupta (raj...@cfmu.eurocontrol.be) wrote:
>>In article <CtCLD...@austin.ibm.com> bbi...@austin.ibm.com (Brad Bishop) writes:
>>>How about including REAL *PAPER* MANUALS in the CD ROM 'DELUXE' EDITION?
>>>
>>>(it really ticked me off that I spent more money for the ease of use of CDROM
>>>and got less (although the manuals are online, I haven't been successful at
>>>reading online manuals on the toilet or in bed, maybe Im just odd that way.)
>>>
>>>Brad
>>>

>>My sentiments exactly. Also as far as I can tell there is no
>>SEARCH facility in the Frame reader product. Isn't this
>>supposed to be one of the big advantages when using electronic
>>formats???
>
>And Frame's lack of a search facility (which, BTW, ticks me off too) has
>nothing to do with Quicken enhancments really.

I assumme you are refering to the Enhancement List you are compiling regarding
Quicken for Windows in this newsgroup. My remark is not in this context.
I am explicitly refering
to the CD-ROM Deluxe Edition. IMHO it would enhancen the package if Frame reader
had search capabilities. This is the key advantage over paper manuals.

>Besides if you want to have some paper to read - print the manual!
> /Andrew DeFaria (def...@cup.hp.com) \
> |Hewlett Packard, California Language Lab |
> |Phone: (408)-447-5741 |
> |WWW: http://hpcll50.cup.hp.com/andy |
> \_________________________________________/

thomasf...@gmail.com

Jun 22, 2013, 11:09:12 PM6/22/13

We're looking for 10,000 individuals who want to receive closing stock quotes every 24 hours. We have over 35 countries to choose from. WE DON'T WANT YOUR CHARGE CARD INFO. There is NO charge for this data as we are testing a new stock delivery system and need 10,000 individuals to stress test the system.

If you are interested, please send me an email providing me with the following information:

First & Last Name
Zipcode
Email Address where stock data files are to be sent.

Tell us which stock exchanges (up to four) you wish to receive on a daily basis.

What's the catch??? No catch!

Please help us spread the word.

Tom - thomasf...@gmail.com