Best Windows XP freeware for telephone dial, answer, talk, & record?

Susan Spadaccio

Mar 17, 2007, 9:35:11 PM3/17/07
What are the best freeware telephone applications for a windows xp PC?

My phone line is connected to my modem which is connected to my Windows XP
PC.

My (new) PC does not have any apps I'm aware of that can dial the phone for
outgoing calls, answer incoming calls as an answering machine when I'm away
or use the PC as a telephone when I'm in and perhaps record the
conversation that is going on (with the desired periodic telltale beep).

What good, decent, freeware you can suggest?

Susan

Ron May

Mar 17, 2007, 11:06:39 PM3/17/07

This might be worth checking:

http://www.v3fax.com/

A major stumbling block though is lack of voice support on many cheap
winmodems that come standard with off the shelf computers today.

--
Ron M.
(I filter Googlegroups posts)

Drumstick

Mar 17, 2007, 11:42:59 PM3/17/07
In article <lvapv21hu2ruaj5rs...@4ax.com>,
may...@hotmail.com says...
Has anyone ever had one of these modems that was any good for this type
application? Even the "name brand" ones I've had could not do the
switching fast enough or clean enough.

Drum--

Susan Spadaccio

Mar 18, 2007, 12:30:53 AM3/18/07
On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 23:42:59 -0400, Drumstick wrote:
>> http://www.v3fax.com/

> Has anyone ever had one of these modems that was any good for this type
> application?

I used to use
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,7443-order,1-page,1-c,alldownloads/description.html
but it hasn't been updated since windows 9x days.

I just want to be able to record phone conversations. I don't care if I use
the PC as a telephone. I just assumed that I can't record anything unless
the PC is operating as a phone so the sound is piped through it and can be
'grabbed' and recorded.

There is a good possibility Audacity (I use it) can do the trick. If so,
the question becomes "What simple freeware is available so I can dial
out/answer regular phone calls on my PC through my modem"? And, if so, what
other options are there besides having to use the PC mic and speakers to
speak and hear?

I assume my PCI modem (which I only use for faxing right now) can handle
phone functions with the right software. My old Win98 machine could do that
with no problems.

But what is the right software on Windows XP?

Susan

Susan Spadaccio

Mar 18, 2007, 12:42:48 AM3/18/07
On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 22:06:39 -0500, Ron May wrote:
> This might be worth checking:
> http://www.v3fax.com/

It is VERY INTERESTING that when I installed v3fax, the installer got
confused with the existing WillowPhone application from PC World days.

When I looked at the two installers, THEY WERE ALMOST EXACTLY THE SAME!
Same files. Same data in the files. Same file sizes (almost exactly)!

Obviously these two programs are one and the same genesis!
- Willow Phone

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,7443-order,1-page,1-c,alldownloads/description.html

- Call Center
http://www.v3fax.com/freecc.htm

Does anyone have EXPERIENCE with these or other freeware WinXP telephone
applications who can show us the steps to RECORD an incoming telephone call
to the hard drive (with beeps)?

Susan

Susan Bugher

Mar 18, 2007, 1:31:54 AM3/18/07
Susan Spadaccio wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 22:06:39 -0500, Ron May wrote:
>
>>This might be worth checking:
>> http://www.v3fax.com/

> It is VERY INTERESTING that when I installed v3fax, the installer got
> confused with the existing WillowPhone application from PC World days.
>
> When I looked at the two installers, THEY WERE ALMOST EXACTLY THE SAME!
> Same files. Same data in the files. Same file sizes (almost exactly)!
>
> Obviously these two programs are one and the same genesis!

nope. . .

Program: WillowPhone
Company: Willow Pond Corporation
W: LFW
Ware: (Freeware) LFW (v 1.00.027)
http://downloads.pcworld.com/pub/new/internet/internet_tools/wphone.exe
(1328 KB)

Screen shot:
http://www.v3fax.com/freeccg.htm

Program: CallCenter
Company: Vł Inc.
Ware: (Liteware) (free)
http://www.v3fax.com/faqs.htm
http://www.v3fax.com/freecc.htm
http://www.v3fax.com/software/FREECallCenter.exe
(5672 KB)

Screen shot:
http://www.willowpond.com/willowphone.shtml

As you said, your installer got confused. I don't recall the steps to
clear up the confusion but it can be done. Check the ng archives for
more information (if nobody posts the info again).

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware