Re: MT-Newswatcher for XP Pro

Howard S Shubs

May 16, 2006, 10:06:45 PM5/16/06
In article
<REMOVEarkay-738F...@newsclstr02.news.prodigy.com>,
aRKay <REMOV...@qsl.net> wrote:

> I will be using a DELL notebook with XP Pro and wonder if there is
> something for PC users like the Mac MT-Newswatcher?

You might want to ask in a group which knows Windows apps. Hm... maybe
crossposting will do it.

Hey, can you Windows people answer this one? MT-Newswatcher is a
multi-windowed (one for newsgroups, one for subjects in one newsgroup,
etc.) newsreader with excellent filtering (even does regexps!). Whatcha
got like that? Agent is the reverse: everything in one window, I think.

--
Life is toxic. It leads to death and
too much of it at once can kill you.

Prester Jacques

May 17, 2006, 6:45:42 AM5/17/06
In article <howard-091C9D....@news.supernews.com>,

Howard S Shubs <how...@shubs.net> wrote:

> Hey, can you Windows people answer this one? MT-Newswatcher is a
> multi-windowed (one for newsgroups, one for subjects in one newsgroup,
> etc.) newsreader with excellent filtering (even does regexps!). Whatcha
> got like that? Agent is the reverse: everything in one window, I think.

Even in the Mac world, there aren't any other multi-window newsreaders,
are there? Everything uses that 3-pane model.
--
P_J
Vous de chouis, vous de choix ...

Jon

May 17, 2006, 6:53:02 AM5/17/06
Prester Jacques <presto...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> In article <howard-091C9D....@news.supernews.com>,
> Howard S Shubs <how...@shubs.net> wrote:
>
> > Hey, can you Windows people answer this one? MT-Newswatcher is a
> > multi-windowed (one for newsgroups, one for subjects in one newsgroup,
> > etc.) newsreader with excellent filtering (even does regexps!). Whatcha
> > got like that? Agent is the reverse: everything in one window, I think.
>
> Even in the Mac world, there aren't any other multi-window newsreaders,
> are there? Everything uses that 3-pane model.

MacSOUP is multi-window. It is an off-line reader, some might not want
that, but many of us swear by it (see my headers for one).
See: <http://home.snafu.de/stk/macsoup/> for info.

But that does not answer the OP question of multi-window readers on
Windows. :-)
--
/Jon
For mail address, run the following in Terminal:

Charles

May 17, 2006, 6:55:03 AM5/17/06
In article <1hfhifk.1i2larb1r6gfe5N%see_si...@mac.com.invalid>, Jon
<see_si...@mac.com.invalid> wrote:

> But that does not answer the OP question of multi-window readers on
> Windows. :-)

X-News would be the closest approxomation.

--
Charles

Howard S Shubs

May 17, 2006, 1:18:53 PM5/17/06
In article <446affd1$0$15571$c3e...@news.astraweb.com>,
Prester Jacques <presto...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Even in the Mac world, there aren't any other multi-window newsreaders,
> are there? Everything uses that 3-pane model.

All the variants on the original Newswatcher are multiwindowed. I don't
know of more 'cause I've not looked, being happy with what I'm using. I
forget what Unison looks like.

ortho...@invalid.invalid

May 18, 2006, 3:20:04 PM5/18/06
On Tue, 16 May 2006 22:06:45 -0400, Howard S Shubs <how...@shubs.net>
wrote:

>In article

><REMOVEarkay-738F...@newsclstr02.news.prodigy.com>,
> aRKay <REMOV...@qsl.net> wrote:
>
>> I will be using a DELL notebook with XP Pro and wonder if there is
>> something for PC users like the Mac MT-Newswatcher?
>
>You might want to ask in a group which knows Windows apps. Hm... maybe
>crossposting will do it.
>
>Hey, can you Windows people answer this one? MT-Newswatcher is a
>multi-windowed (one for newsgroups, one for subjects in one newsgroup,
>etc.) newsreader with excellent filtering (even does regexps!). Whatcha
>got like that? Agent is the reverse: everything in one window, I think.

Actually, Forte's Agent will display all panes in the same window, or
in different windows, according to one's desire.

That is the basic difference between Apple apps and Windows apps.
Windows apps provide various alternate configurations which you may or
may not use, at your convenience, not just one, while Apple apps
scream "my (the developer's) way, or the highway".

Selfish, vain little creatures, these Apple developers are.

Please reply to the original newsgroup and thread,
so that the conversation may continue undisturbed.

ortho...@invalid.invalid

May 18, 2006, 3:26:41 PM5/18/06
On Wed, 17 May 2006 06:45:42 -0400, Prester Jacques
<presto...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>In article <howard-091C9D....@news.supernews.com>,
> Howard S Shubs <how...@shubs.net> wrote:
>
>> Hey, can you Windows people answer this one? MT-Newswatcher is a
>> multi-windowed (one for newsgroups, one for subjects in one newsgroup,
>> etc.) newsreader with excellent filtering (even does regexps!). Whatcha
>> got like that? Agent is the reverse: everything in one window, I think.
>
>Even in the Mac world, there aren't any other multi-window newsreaders,
>are there? Everything uses that 3-pane model.

Hogwasher 4.2.2 will allow one to pretty much have either the old
single-window, multipaned brower, or a multi-windowed one. You have
to really look for the control (very small and kind of "hidden"), but
it's there.

However, now that I can dual-boot with XP, I am beginning to use XP to
do Usenet. Of course, the best XP Usenet client is Forte's Agent.

Agent, will allow one to have almost any brower arrangement one wants,
including multi-windowed or single-windowed, multipaned.

ortho...@invalid.invalid

May 18, 2006, 3:32:36 PM5/18/06

On Wed, 17 May 2006 13:18:53 -0400, Howard S Shubs <how...@shubs.net>
wrote:

>In article <446affd1$0$15571$c3e...@news.astraweb.com>,

> Prester Jacques <presto...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Even in the Mac world, there aren't any other multi-window newsreaders,
>> are there? Everything uses that 3-pane model.
>
>All the variants on the original Newswatcher are multiwindowed. I don't
>know of more 'cause I've not looked, being happy with what I'm using. I
>forget what Unison looks like.

Unison pretty much has a single-window, multipaned brower, but the
arrangement is not three panes, but actually several.

Almost all Apple and Windows Usenet clients have a separate window for
the All-Newsgroups listing.

And almost all the Newswatcher clan have separate windows for each
Subscription grouping.

Message has been deleted

Mike Rosenberg

May 18, 2006, 6:38:28 PM5/18/06
Michelle Steiner <mich...@michelle.org> wrote:

> Maybe you should know what you're talking about before you make such
> sweeping generalizations.

You don't really expect him to suddenly undergo a major personality
change, do you?

--
Mike Rosenberg
<http://www.cafepress.com/macconsult,macconsult4> Mac-themed T-shirts

Howard S Shubs

May 18, 2006, 11:04:51 PM5/18/06
In article <79ip62pcoqmtefvb5...@4ax.com>,
ortho...@invalid.invalid wrote:

> Agent, will allow one to have almost any brower arrangement one wants,
> including multi-windowed or single-windowed, multipaned.

I guess the one time I tried Free Agent, I didn't find that option.

Message has been deleted

Mike Rosenberg

May 19, 2006, 5:10:18 PM5/19/06
Michelle Steiner <mich...@michelle.org> wrote:

> > You don't really expect him to suddenly undergo a major personality
> > change, do you?
>

> You're right; I don't. But miracles have happened, and could happen
> again.

Yeah, we discussed the 1969 Mets and the 1980 US Olympic hockey team a
while back, but he appears to draw too much comfort from stereotyping to
ever let go of that.

ortho...@invalid.invalid

May 21, 2006, 12:27:11 PM5/21/06
On Fri, 19 May 2006 17:10:18 -0400, mi...@POSTTOGROUP.invalid (Mike
Rosenberg) wrote:

>Michelle Steiner <mich...@michelle.org> wrote:
>
>> > You don't really expect him to suddenly undergo a major personality
>> > change, do you?
>>
>> You're right; I don't. But miracles have happened, and could happen
>> again.

I doubt seriously whether any such thing will ever happen. I like my
personality as it is, thank you very much. I've spent 61 years
working on it, and I am not going to change it.

You, on the other hand, could certainly do with a little improvement,
personality-wise.

>Yeah, we discussed the 1969 Mets and the 1980 US Olympic hockey team a
>while back, but he appears to draw too much comfort from stereotyping to
>ever let go of that.

Mr. Rosenberg,if you are referring to me, I have never discussed
ANYTHING having to do with sport with you, especially the 1969 Mets or
ANY hockey team. In my opinion, Ice Hockey is by and far the most
violent sport in existence, and it certainly is not something which
interests me even in the least.

Perhaps you need to lay aside your interest in sport, and turn instead
toward your Messiah, Who is waiting for you to recognize Him and
return to His Father.

Mike Rosenberg

May 21, 2006, 1:36:25 PM5/21/06
<ortho...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> >Yeah, we discussed the 1969 Mets and the 1980 US Olympic hockey team a
> >while back, but he appears to draw too much comfort from stereotyping to
> >ever let go of that.
>
> Mr. Rosenberg,if you are referring to me, I have never discussed
> ANYTHING having to do with sport with you, especially the 1969 Mets or
> ANY hockey team.

I'm sorry, my previous post wasn't at all clear. Michelle and I are the
"we" in that sentence; she and I had previously discussed those two
modern-day miracles.

Mike Rosenberg

May 21, 2006, 1:43:13 PM5/21/06
<ortho...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> I doubt seriously whether any such thing will ever happen. I like my
> personality as it is, thank you very much. I've spent 61 years
> working on it, and I am not going to change it.

Exactly! As I said, you appear to draw too much comfort from

stereotyping to ever let go of that.

--

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

ortho...@invalid.invalid

May 24, 2006, 12:33:08 PM5/24/06
On Sun, 21 May 2006 13:43:13 -0400, mi...@POSTTOGROUP.invalid (Mike
Rosenberg) wrote:

><ortho...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> I doubt seriously whether any such thing will ever happen. I like my
>> personality as it is, thank you very much. I've spent 61 years
>> working on it, and I am not going to change it.
>
>Exactly! As I said, you appear to draw too much comfort from
>stereotyping to ever let go of that.

Well, Mike, if a "stereotype" describes REALITY, it is certainly
valid.

Anyway, nothing wrong with stereotyping. Leftists do it all the
time, after all.

Donald L McDaniel

Mike Rosenberg

May 24, 2006, 6:35:55 PM5/24/06
<ortho...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Well, Mike, if a "stereotype" describes REALITY, it is certainly
> valid.

By definition, a stereotype is not a description of reality.

Message has been deleted

Howard S Shubs

Sep 9, 2006, 1:44:54 AM9/9/06
In article <fqhp629g0fae2sscf...@4ax.com>,
ortho...@invalid.invalid wrote:

> Actually, Forte's Agent will display all panes in the same window, or
> in different windows, according to one's desire.

How does one make it do this? Also, how can I get it to import a newsrc
file?

I find myself in the OP's position. I'm loading an XP machine now that
my Wallstreet is dead. I tried XNews, which reminded me of old Losedows
programs where all windows are constrained by a large window.

So now I've purchased a copy of Agent. Given your note, I looked for a
way to make it behave. No joy so far. Then I remembered that Windows
apps don't tend to do that. So, how do I get it to do so?

--
Being quick to take offense is not a virtue.

Howard Shubs

Sep 9, 2006, 1:59:59 AM9/9/06
On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 01:44:54 -0400, Howard S Shubs <how...@shubs.net>
wrote:

>How does one make it do this? Also, how can I get it to import a newsrc
>file?

I've added this newsgroup to Agent so I can check this thread using
Agent. Also, so I can test the settings. Yes yes, I know about
"test" groups.

ZBV

Sep 9, 2006, 2:12:05 PM9/9/06
In article <howard-9CF1A3....@news.supernews.com>,

Howard S Shubs <how...@shubs.net> wrote:

> In article <fqhp629g0fae2sscf...@4ax.com>,
> ortho...@invalid.invalid wrote:
>
> > Actually, Forte's Agent will display all panes in the same window, or
> > in different windows, according to one's desire.
>
> How does one make it do this? Also, how can I get it to import a newsrc
> file?
>
> I find myself in the OP's position. I'm loading an XP machine now that
> my Wallstreet is dead. I tried XNews, which reminded me of old Losedows
> programs where all windows are constrained by a large window.

XNews isn't bad as far as Windows newsreaders go. There is a setting to
make article windows pop up on the screen from the underlying subject
list - that way you aren't confined to the pane section.

Howard S Shubs

Sep 9, 2006, 5:07:03 PM9/9/06
In article <zbv-48DE2D.1...@news.giganews.com>,
ZBV <z...@ihatespam.invalid> wrote:

> XNews isn't bad as far as Windows newsreaders go. There is a setting to
> make article windows pop up on the screen from the underlying subject
> list - that way you aren't confined to the pane section.

I'll look for it. The best thing about XNews as far as I can tell is
that it uses newsrc-formatted files, like MT-Newswatcher, so it's easy
to move my current "read" set back and forth.