Announcing Kermit 95 1.1.15 and more

Christine Gianone

Oct 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/3/97

In the customary fashion, despite extensive prerelease testing,
several bugs were discovered in Kermit 95 1.1.14 in the days following
its release on September 24. The bugs were patched and a new release,
1.1.15, has been available at our Web and FTP sites since Monday evening,
as some of you have already noticed. Briefly, the bugs that were fixed
are:

. Hostmode logins might not work ("Access denied")
. SET TELNET TERMINAL TYPE erroneously affected the actual terminal type
. Problems with Kermit transfers on certain kinds of Telnet connections
. AIX and HFT emulation should not autowrap
. AIX and HFT arrow keys didn't work in the Command screen

That's it! The Kermit 95 website:

http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/k95.html

as been updated, and the 1.1.15 patches are available at:

http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/k95patch.html

You can patch up to version 1.1.15 from any version back to 1.1.7.
Apologies for any inconvenience.

And now for something completely different: a new utility for Kermit 95 in
Windows 95 or Windows NT 4.0 (not OS/2 or Windows NT 3.x): the Kermit 95
Registry Tool, K95REGTL.EXE.

This is a GUI program that lets you create and remove associations for
Kermit 95 in the Windows Registry, and create desktop and/or Start Menu
shortcuts for Kermit 95 itself and the Dialer (K95 1.1.14 and later already
let you create desktop shortcuts for individual connections).

The K95 Registry Tool can be downloaded from:

ftp://kermit.columbia.edu/kermit/k95/utils/w?regtl.exe

where "?" should be replaced by "i" for Intel, "a" for Alpha platforms,
or "p" for the PowerPC.

Send any reports or questions by email to:

kermit-...@columbia.edu

Finally, K95 users should be aware of the "newbugs.txt" file. We keep this
up to date on our Web and FTP site; it contains descriptions of any bugs, as
well as hints, clarifications, and other information that are new since the
most recent release and/or not available elsewhere. There is a link to this
file near the top of our Kermit 95 News page; you can also access via ftp:

ftp://kermit.columbia.edu/kermit/k95/newbugs.txt

Christine Gianone
Manager
The Kermit Project
Columbia University