The effect of anti-trust on Microsoft (Google now sells your data)

1 view

msdos622wasfun

Feb 1, 2015, 7:37:41 PM2/1/15
Sure, Microsoft was the big bad monopoly years ago and something had to be done. Whatever; I guess I get that. Believe it or not I think there's value in having competition in the industry. We have it in the form of OS X, and open-source alternatives such as Linux.

And then something interesting happened. Avenues opened up for other forms of computing, like mobile, where Microsoft's competitors took advantage of the head start and ended up carving a dominant space. Seems like Microsoft was late. Now both iOS and Android are huge, and Windows Phone only holds a very small share of the market. iPads are all over the place. Chromebooks are becoming more popular.

Yep, the thinking was that if we split Microsoft up, a benevolent alternative was going to fill the gap that would do us no wrong and would exhibit none of the bullying behavior that Microsoft committed.

And what does this new entity end up doing? It becomes an institution that markets an operating system behind a spam and advertising machine, where your privacy takes a back seat.

And we wanted it, didn't we? I've read people make statements online claiming things such as, "Oh, I don't buy the argument that if it wasn't Microsoft screwing us, somebody else would."

Don't buy that, eh?

Chew on this for a while. And if you want to blast me with accusations of hypocrisy, go ahead, because in addition to using Google's search engine regularly (well, Bing too -- I like it just as much and am using it more and more) as well as having a Gmail account, I also own a Google Nexus 7 tablet in addition to my Windows machines (which I really like, by the way -- Lollipop is nice).

Oh, I almost forgot. This is *also* in addition to my Mac mini. I pride myself on my open-mindedness, unlike others who bash Microsoft to no end and don't care about MY needs.

--
Erich K.

Stephen Fisher

Feb 2, 2015, 2:10:11 PM2/2/15
On 2015-02-02, msdos622wasfun <synth.v...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yep, the thinking was that if we split Microsoft up, a benevolent
> alternative was going to fill the gap that would do us no wrong and
> would exhibit none of the bullying behavior that Microsoft committed.
>
> And what does this new entity end up doing? It becomes an institution
> that markets an operating system behind a spam and advertising
> machine, where your privacy takes a back seat.

This reminds me of the breakup of AT&T; in that case, they just broke it
into smaller monopolies that were still tough to deal with.