Windows 8.1 upgrade went well

msdos622wasfun

Oct 20, 2013, 9:43:46 PM10/20/13
Just in case anybody here was wondering. :-)

Actually I was able to upgrade all three of my machines -- my main desktop rig, my laptop, and my Surface RT -- in about two hours Thursday evening. The rest of the night was spent looking around and tweaking my settings.

So if you ask me, that's pretty impressive. The only weird thing that was happening was the fact that the tile to click on for the upgrade in the store kept disappearing and reappearing. And from what I've heard, some people have been experiencing issues. But with me, I didn't encounter a single hiccup.

All in all I'm pretty happy with everything. Yes, the good ol' Start button is back. I was already used to it not being there, but I guess this is what people wanted. Hopefully the changes in 8.1 that make it easier to focus on the desktop will make that crowd happy.

Big improvements to the Start screen and built-in apps like Mail (Mail is actually usable now), SkyDrive is more integrated, search has expanded, and the upgrade even solved one problem I was having where some of my stuff wasn't getting synced properly to my laptop. Now it is.

The past few days I've been using my machines and haven't run into any issues -- been doing a little gaming, finished up a project using SONAR X3, etc. -- so at this point I can say so far so good. Hopefully it goes on that way.

Peace.

--
Erich K.