IBM open sources its A2O POWER processor core through the OpenPOWER Foundation

1 view

OSnews

Sep 15, 2020, 9:00:03 PM9/15/20
to All

The A2O core is an out-of-order, multi-threaded, 64-bit POWER ISA core that was developed as a processor for customization and embedded use in system-on-chip (SoC) devices. It's most suitable for single thread performance optimization. A follow-up to its parent high-streaming throughput A2I predecessor, it maintains the same modular design approach and fabric structure. The Auxiliary Execution Unit (AXU) is tightly-coupled to the core, enabling many possibilities for special-purpose designs for new markets tackling the challenges of modern workloads.

Intel';s current troubles and the rise in popularity of alternatives is creating a very rare and ever so small opportunity for smaller ISAs to gain some traction. I';ll take what I can get in our current stratified technology market.

https://www.osnews.com/story/132348/ibm-open-sources-its-a2o-power-processor-core-through-the-openpower-foundation/