The MIPS ThinkPad, kind of

1 view

OSnews

Sep 28, 2022, 10:01:02 AM9/28/22
to All

Say hello to the RISC ThinkPad that';s not a ThinkPad, the IBM WorkPad z50.[...]
Let';s say you went to CompUSA, or, I dunno, Fry';s, or Circuit City, in mid-1999. Why, you might pick up an Ethernet hub and a BeOS advanced topics book, and marvel at this lithe little laptop IBM was selling for US$999 ($1780 in today';s dollars) MSRP. It had all the ThinkPad design cues and a surprisingly luxurious 95% keyboard, plus that frisson-inducing bright red mouse stick. And you might say, I want this, and I';m going to take it home.

I want one of these so very bad - but like so many things classic computing, eBay prices have gone batshit insane, making it very, very hard to justify.

https://www.osnews.com/story/135349/the-mips-thinkpad-kind-of/