Gcc-1.40 and a posix-question

Linus Benedict Torvalds

Jul 3, 1991, 6:00:50 AM7/3/91
Hello netlanders,

Due to a project I'm working on (in minix), I'm interested in the posix
standard definition. Could somebody please point me to a (preferably)
machine-readable format of the latest posix rules? Ftp-sites would be
nice.

As an aside for all using gcc on minix - the new version (1.40) has been
out for some weeks, and I decided to test what needed to be done to get
it working on minix (1.37.1, which is the version you can get from
plains is nice, but 1.40 is better :-). To my surpice, the answer
turned out to be - NOTHING! Gcc-1.40 compiles as-is on minix386 (with
old gcc-1.37.1), with no need to change source files (I changed the
Makefile and some paths, but that's it!). As default this results in a
compiler that uses floating point insns, but if you'd rather not,
changing 'toplev.c' to define DEFAULT_TARGET from 1 to 0 (this is from
memory - I'm not at my minix-box) will handle that too. Don't make the
libs, use the old gnulib&libc.a. I have successfully compiled 1.40 with
itself, and everything works fine (I got the newest versions of gas and
binutils at the same time, as I've heard of bugs with older versions of
ld.c). Makefile needs some chmem's (and gcc2minix if you're still using
it).

Linus Torvalds torv...@kruuna.helsinki.fi

PS. Could someone please try to finger me from overseas, as I've
installed a "changing .plan" (made by your's truly), and I'm not certain
it works from outside? It should report a new .plan every time.

SILVER50%sny...@cunyvm.cuny.edu

Jul 4, 1991, 6:23:44 AM7/4/91
Where can I get the new version from? Is it necessary that I get the old
version first? Is gcc a c++ compiler? Thanks a lot - Micah Silverman!

Linus Benedict Torvalds

Jul 4, 1991, 9:04:56 AM7/4/91
In article <57...@nigel.ee.udel.edu> SILVER50%snypotv...@cunyvm.cuny.edu writes:
>Where can I get the new version from? Is it necessary that I get the old
>version first? Is gcc a c++ compiler? Thanks a lot - Micah Silverman!

Uhhuh. Maybe I wasn't too clear about gcc-1.40. You DO need 1.37.1 (or
whatever awb & company ported (available at plains)). They did all the
hard work necessary to get started on gcc (ie libraries, include-files
etc). UPDATING is easy, but you do need gcc to compile gcc (without
undue problems that is. Thanks awb et.c.)

If you do want to upgrade (I know - I like to have the newest version,
but it isn't really that necessary :-), you can find gcc-1.40 at least
on nic.funet.fi. People in the states (and other far-away places) might
want to check other sources. (And no, I haven't tried g++, which IS a
c++ compiler, maybe somebody else could tell us if it's easy/possible).

Linus (torv...@kruuna.helsinki.fi)

PS. Gcc-2.0 should be out sometime "soon" (don't know what that means),
so if you can wait for that, maybe you should.

cad dir user

Jul 4, 1991, 12:09:42 PM7/4/91
You can get the gcc and g++ officially from ( ftp ) prep.ai.mit.edu.
If you already had the previous version , you can only ftp the diff's file.
Otherwise, get the whole things. about 3megs for gcc, and 1.3megs for g++.
Gcc and G++ are two different things , but they works together.

ps: the exact directory : /pub/gnu
-botaque

Peter Lautenschlaeger

Jul 5, 1991, 4:06:04 AM7/5/91

> Where can I get the new version from?

you can get the version from prep.ai.mit.edu /pub/gnu

> Is it necessary that I get the old version first?

you should have the 1.37 minix version to bootstrap the new version

> Is gcc a c++ compiler?

As far as I know it isn't. It's a ANSI C compiler which understands
PROFILES and so on. g++ is the c++ compiler, but you need gcc to run
g++.

Hope that will help you.

Peter

Jyrki Kuoppala

Jul 5, 1991, 7:07:24 AM7/5/91
In article <1991Jul4.1...@klaava.Helsinki.FI>, torvalds@klaava (Linus Benedict Torvalds) writes:
>on nic.funet.fi. People in the states (and other far-away places) might
>want to check other sources.

Prep.ai.mit.edu is the official distribution host. It probably also
has diffs from 1.37 to 1.38, 1.38 to 1.39 and 1.39 to 1.40.

>(And no, I haven't tried g++, which IS a
>c++ compiler, maybe somebody else could tell us if it's easy/possible).

I have g++ 1.39 running on pc532 minix 1.5h. My port is with estdio,
and you'll need gas and GNU binutils. The diffs are at nic.funet.fi,
pub/misc/pc532/jkp-backups/1.5/diffs (I think, well they're somewhere
around there with lots of other diffs like groff, emacs, gawk, bash
etc. to get GNU programs working on pc532 minix 1.5h).

Please don't ask me if the diffs work for your Minix running on a C64
or a Z80 or a Cray or any other Minix version you might have other
than the pc532 - I have no knowledge about them, you'll have to try it
yourself.

//Jyrki

The Xiarthos

Nov 28, 2021, 2:25:42 PM11/28/21
The first hint of Linus working on Linux

Luis Gabriel

Dec 7, 2021, 4:46:39 PM12/7/21
El domingo, 28 de noviembre de 2021 a la(s) 14:25:42 UTC-5, The Xiarthos escribió:
> The first hint of Linus working on Linux

Yeah, this is history! just amazing!

Ronnen Podolsky

Dec 22, 2021, 12:59:42 PM12/22/21
wow