C-Kermit for MINIX

Frank da Cruz

Jan 27, 2022, 11:56:08 AM1/27/22
Hi, I'm working on the first new release of C-Kermit (communications software) in over 10 years, version 9.0.305, which is in Alpha test now:

https://www.kermitproject.org/ck90305table.html

It has always been buildable on MINIX; I'd like to make sure that it still is. Anyone who would be willing to download the test version and try building it (e.g. "make minix3" or "make minux315" for MINIX 3) can contact me directly at f...@kermitproject.org. Thanks.

Frank da Cruz

P.S. For those who don't know what Kermit is, here's a page that explains it:
https://www.kermitproject.org/about.html

Tom Ivar Helbekkmo

Jan 27, 2022, 1:15:37 PM1/27/22
Frank da Cruz <f...@columbia.edu> writes:

> Hi, I'm working on the first new release of C-Kermit (communications
> software) in over 10 years, version 9.0.305, which is in Alpha test
> now:

Cool! :)

> It has always been buildable on MINIX; I'd like to make sure that it
> still is. Anyone who would be willing to download the test version
> and try building it (e.g. "make minix3" or "make minux315" for MINIX
> 3) can contact me directly at f...@kermitproject.org. Thanks.

It builds, and works (although I haven't yet tried anything more than
just normal terminal communication) on the latest MINIX 3 snapshot,
which presents itself thus (it's not really 3.4.0, though; it's a
release candidate for that version):

luna.hamartun.priv.no$ uname -a
Minix luna.hamartun.priv.no 3.4.0 Minix 3.4.0 (GENERIC) i386

I did, however, have to add "-lcrypt" to the linking command line,
because the straight 'make minix315' resulted in the linker complaining
about the single missing symbol "crypt".

Using it now, to let my MINIX 3.4.0 system be a terminal gateway to my
MINIX 1.5.10 system, which is, of course, not on the net. Well, not
until I get the Amoeba protocol ported to MINIX 3 or to NetBSD... :)

I'll send email to Frank, too, as he asked.

-tih
--
Most people who graduate with CS degrees don't understand the significance
of Lisp. Lisp is the most important idea in computer science. --Alan Kay