Happy birthday Linux!

Love

Aug 25, 2021, 4:55:15 PM8/25/21
Hello everybody out there using Linux -

We doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and
professional like gnu (actually very big)) for 386(486) AT clones (ie
everything). This has been brewing
since april, and is starting to get ready. I'd like any feedback on
things people like/dislike in Linux, as my OS resembles it somewhat
(same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons)
among other things).

It is NOT (obviously is) protable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it
probably never
will support anything other than AT-harddisks (or supercomputer
storage), as that's all I have :-(.

Linus (torv...@kruuna.helsinki.fi)

Verry verry very HAPPY BIRTHDAY Linux!!!.
Linus, your project was a dream come true. A hobby project changed the
world. And all started with an announcement. This is the true potential
of humanity! Much love.

PS: How do you gonna explain that Linux -

Date: 3 Jul 91 10:00:50 GMT

Hello netlanders,

<....>

The project was obviously linux, so by July 3rd I had started to think-

------------------
Linux came to netland 1.5 months before the world!-Such a nice society
to live in.

---------------
Bellow are original posts, if you wanna recall-

-----------------------
Love .

Much respect Tanenbaum. You are a genius.

====================================================================================================================

From: torv...@klaava.Helsinki.FI (Linus Benedict Torvalds)
Newsgroups: comp.os.minix
Subject: Gcc-1.40 and a posix-question
Date: 3 Jul 91 10:00:50 GMT

Hello netlanders,

Due to a project I'm working on (in minix), I'm interested in the posix
standard definition. Could somebody please point me to a (preferably)
machine-readable format of the latest posix rules? Ftp-sites would be
nice.

The project was obviously linux, so by July 3rd I had started to think
about actual user-level things: some of the device drivers were ready,
and the harddisk actually worked. Not too much else.

As an aside for all using gcc on minix - [ deleted ]

Just a success-report on porting gcc-1.40 to minix using the 1.37
version made by Alan W Black & co.

Linus Torvalds torv...@kruuna.helsinki.fi

PS. Could someone please try to finger me from overseas, as I've
installed a "changing .plan" (made by your's truly), and I'm not certain
it works from outside? It should report a new .plan every time.

So I was clueless - had just learned about named pipes. Sue me. This
part of the post got a lot more response than the actual POSIX query,
but the query did lure out arl from the woodwork, and we mailed around
for a bit, resulting in the Linux subdirectory on nic.funet.fi.

Then, almost two months later, I actually had something working: I
made sources for version 0.01 available on nic sometimes around this
time. 0.01 sources weren't actually runnable: they were just a token
gesture to arl who had probably started to despair about ever getting
anything. This next post must have been from just a couple of weeks
before that release.

From: torv...@klaava.Helsinki.FI (Linus Benedict Torvalds)
Newsgroups: comp.os.minix
Subject: What would you like to see most in minix?
Date: 25 Aug 91 20:57:08 GMT

Hello everybody out there using minix -

I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and
professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones. This has been brewing
since april, and is starting to get ready. I'd like any feedback on
things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat
(same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons)
among other things).

I've currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things seem to work.
This implies that I'll get something practical within a few months, and
I'd like to know what features most people would want. Any suggestions
are welcome, but I won't promise I'll implement them :-)

Linus (torv...@kruuna.helsinki.fi)

PS. Yes - it's free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs.
It is NOT protable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never
will support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that's all I have :-(.

Judging from the post, 0.01 wasn't actually out yet, but it's close.
I'd guess the first version went out in the middle of September -91. I
got some responses to this (most by mail, which I haven't saved), and
I even got a few mails asking to be beta-testers for linux. After that
just a few general answers to quesions on the net:

Kaleci

May 30, 2023, 11:18:06 AM5/30/23
thanks