Looking for any/old Mach information

Jason Stevens

Oct 16, 2019, 11:00:01 PM10/16/19
First let me share what I have:

I put these on sourceforge as they have been around long enough that I
hope that they will continue to be online.

Mach-86

https://sourceforge.net/projects/bsd42/files/4BSD%20under
%20Windows/v0.4/Mach86.zip/download

This is what I think is the first version of Mach, for the VAX. The
kernel is buildable, and it just runs on a 4.3BSD userland, which is
unaultered. There is refrence to accent scattered around, which was the
OS used before Mach.

Mach 2.5

https://sourceforge.net/projects/bsd42/files/4BSD%20under
%20Windows/v0.4/Mach25-MK35.vmdk.7z/download

This is the Mt Xinu Mach386 userland with the source I was able to find
for Mach 2.5. The kernel does compile. The userland is said to be that
of 4.3BSD Reno, however there is enough drift that rebuilding LIBC just
doesn't work. And all the special disk format/partition tool source is
lost as well.

Does anyone have any of this ancient stuff??

I can't believe that I'm literally the last person in the world looking
for this stuff, and or archiving it.

Don Y

Sep 15, 2022, 2:34:38 AMSep 15
On 10/16/2019 7:59 PM, Jason Stevens wrote:
> First let me share what I have:

I will (belatedly ) mirror the effort

> I can't believe that I'm literally the last person in the world looking
> for this stuff, and or archiving it.

I actually have a decent archive of many of the earlier Mach releases up
through 83 (84?). But, extracting them from my VCS may be a bit of a
chore...