Re: Any Good Alternatives to TK askdirectory ?

MegaWattz

Feb 23, 2021, 12:28:34 AM2/23/21
On Sat, 20 Feb 2021 13:39:55 -0000 (UTC), Rich <ri...@example.invalid>
wrote:

>StraightOn <s...@t187.org> wrote:
>> Hate it. You can't just light it up and OK, you have
>> to go INTO the subdir instead - which is seriously
>> counterintuitive for users. They always screw up.
>> The FILE selector works as expected, but not
>> askdirectory().
>>
>> And no, if I'm using TK I'm not going to bring in all
>> other sorts of platforms or JS or other crap - "pure"
>> is better.
>>

>A quick wiki (wiki.tcl.tk) turns up this:
>
> https://wiki.tcl-lang.org/page/eWidgets+Toolkit
>
>Which contains this:
>
> dialog::directory - directory selector dialog
>
>But I don't know how it behaves. You can test and/or do further
>searches yourself.
>
>Also, you might consider asking this question again in comp.lang.tcl.

"I'm still very busy writing it ...."

Not really ready for prime time I guess.

Yes, I could write a new one myself, but I'm just
not GOING to. Better uses for my time - and
"factory standard solution" is always better for
any who have to follow on.

MegaWattz

Feb 23, 2021, 11:05:53 PM2/23/21
On Sat, 20 Feb 2021 00:31:04 -0500, StraightOn <s...@t187.org> wrote:

>Hate it. You can't just light it up and OK, you have
>to go INTO the subdir instead - which is seriously
>counterintuitive for users. They always screw up.
>The FILE selector works as expected, but not
>askdirectory().
>
>And no, if I'm using TK I'm not going to bring in all
>other sorts of platforms or JS or other crap - "pure"
>is better.

To answer my own post, the answer is YES !

pip3 install tkfilebrowser

Import tkfliebrowser.
or maybe
import tkfilebrower as tkfb

There's an askdirectory, or multple directories, widget that
works entirely as expected. A better file selector widget too.
You can set wildcard filters with them - btw in [(tag,"*.png")]
style, just "*.png" won't work right. You can specify multiple
such patterns.

This is decidedly better than the "equivalents" inside the TK
library.