Re: Taking a Stand in the War on General-Purpose Computing

1p166

Nov 1, 2021, 12:06:15 AM11/1/21
On 10/26/21 9:26 AM, Folderol wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Oct 2021 23:59:47 -0400
> 1p166 <z24ba6.net> wrote:
>
>> On 10/25/21 2:23 PM, Folderol wrote:
>>> What has *any* of this got to do with the subject?
>>>

>> Absolutely NONE so far as I can tell ... even
>> going back lots of generations of the thread.
>>
>> I'm not sure there CAN be a war on general-purpose
>> computing ... it's where all the special-purpose
>> stuff is planned and written.
>>
>> A war on power users maybe ... The Big Corporations
>> badly want a total return to thin clients and
>> servers so they can charge for every second. All
>> online, all metered, all data harvested, all
>> THEIRS.
>>
> Indeed!
> And with more and more going online (looking at you webassembly) it's getting
> harder to keep some semblance of control and security :(

At some point - indeed starting to happen now - the
evils of All-Online will become too obvious to ignore.
Whatever, where-ever, THEY can get at it, steal it,
destroy it. SolarWinds was just a tiny preview. Now
imagine the entire weight of the Chinese govt behind
the efforts. Imagine the entire weight of the US
govt behind spying/micro-managing ...........

And hey, we did it to ourselves - for "convenience",
because we are lazy, because we are cheap, because we
prefer to think all will be OK, because Big Biz and
our govts wouldn't possibly lie to us ...

You know how I do banking ? I take those PAPER things,
tangible objects, to the branch and hand them to Actual
Humans who know me. Physical Chain-Of-Evidence ...

Oh, SolarWinds claims to have Fixed The Problem - and
their supplicants CONTINUE to use it because they're
too cheap to hire more sysadmins. It was probably
"fixed" by agents of the very people who used it for
attack in the first place - and it ain't just SolarWinds ...